Author Topic: Other partition help  (Read 6124 times)

Offline adrianobet

• View Profile
Other partition help
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »
Hi, I'm new here, hi everybody.
I have a two partitions boot running on my pc. One with the beloved Windows XP (with a lot of programs installed and that I used most) and one with Windows 7 (the computer is old and it's stressed with it and only 2gb of memory)
Unfortunately, recently, after updating the XP drivers with a CD I found on Internet, the XP partition stopped to boot. I tried so many ways, with the console, with the repair windows option but nothing. The XP partition always give me errors before even the Windows logo to appear. I was only able to restore the select O.S. screen using BCD Edit. Now I found your interesting WINDOWS REPAIR tiny software but, since I can only access the PC thru the Windows 7 partition, if there would be the chance to try and scan another partition with a different o.s., instead of trying to access to the current one as it does when I use it on Windows 7. I hope to have been clear and understandable, but it's not so easy, I made such a mess! LOL
Thanks in advance for the help and advice you're gonna give me. Happy weekend!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Other partition help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
Because of registering dll files and how they write themselves to the registry and how certain system info has to be pulled for some of the repairs, there is no way to have my windows repair program run outside of the windows it needs to fixed.

It sounds like your boot recorded got corrupted or over written. Where you able to get any error message, anything at all that you could see? Also if you can access the xp files from 7, then you should be able to open up the event viewer logs from the xp side in 7 and see if anything is logged there :-)

Shane

Offline adrianobet

• View Profile
Re: Other partition help
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:30 pm »
Hi Shane, thank you so much for your kind reply.
I understand :-(
The error message (at least the initial one, before I tried to fix the problem using utilities like Hiren's) was "Unable to run windows because the system file is missing or corrupted". But to be precise this is the message I got later, after the Hiren's boot attempt to repair Windows XP. Now I remember that the beginning of this disaster was that the Windows XP was rebooting every time when the Windows logo was showing, even in safe mode, after using that damned drivers' update disk. :-(
And yes, from Windows 7 I can access the Windows XP partition and files, but I don't know how to see the log and what I can do with it. Can you please help me in that? Thanks in advance anyway, you've been very kind already :-)
See ya

Because of registering dll files and how they write themselves to the registry and how certain system info has to be pulled for some of the repairs, there is no way to have my windows repair program run outside of the windows it needs to fixed.

It sounds like your boot recorded got corrupted or over written. Where you able to get any error message, anything at all that you could see? Also if you can access the xp files from 7, then you should be able to open up the event viewer logs from the xp side in 7 and see if anything is logged there :-)

Shane