Author Topic: (Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware  (Read 72703 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 05:12:47 am »
First of all, I've just downloaded IObit from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html and Norton 360 said it was safe without snagging any PuPs.

One thing to look out for though is when the blue IObit Run window comes up, is to uncheck the small box to the right of the Licence Agreement so that you don't inadvertently install Advanced System Care.

The following is an article for Superfish removal and the certificates. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

As the article says that some security programs may have changed the attributes of the auto installer such as by MBAM or Bullguard as in your case, I would recommend  following the manual steps.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2015, 08:01:03 am »
I downloaded IOBit. With a new pc I'll use your trick with Revo Pro.  :smiley:

Your link to the Superfish uninstaller was wonderful! Thank you. Although I have Classic Shell installed and couldn't find the certificate manager, I found it thru typing certmgr.msc into the Search box (Googled that). I did the manual instruction. Superfish wasn't found as an application anymore, nor in the certificates for Windows, Firefox and Thunderbird. Good news!

Their last line was: "NOTE: There are benign additional files and registry entries which will remain after this procedure. Although they are harmless, the Superfish Removal Tool will remove them." So I did the automatic Removal Tool after all and, guess what, it did remove some registry entries! Yoohoo! I'm happy now.

My VERY last actions regarding the Lenovo crap will be these:

I want to remove two remaining Lenovo files in Program Files (x86) that are only visible in Explorer: the IMController and the MetricCollection one. But IOBit doesn't see them nor Programs and Features. Can I just remove them? See screenshot. "Bestandsmap" means "File directory". This is what I finally found out about them. Not very clear to me, but I think they can go.

MController: Optimize your day-to-day detailed planning using short-term simulations based on current order data.

policy.1.0.lenovo.metriccollectionsdk35.dll file information:

This file is part of unknown product process designed by unknown company, This file not necessary for your system, Keep this file running unless you suspected that this file cause problems to your system

Then the last two programs that I'm still not sure about whether they can or should go: the two driver packages. See screenshot.
They are not spotted by IOBit but are in Programs and Features, so I can delete them there. If you say so.  :cheesy:

I'm soooooo glad these are my last actions with the Lenovo crap! Afterwards I'll make a new SIB. And I'll try to get clean OS disks of W8.1 from Lenovo Netherlands. Who knows? We Dutch have a saying that goes: if you don't shoot, you'll always miss:cheesy:

To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
Firstly, is it you that I have to thank for the added Karma point ? :)

I think if they aren't causing any problems then I would be inclined to leave them.

If they are in msconfig either under Services or under the Startup tab where you can uncheck their boxes, they shouldn't be a problem - but check to see if anything appears to work differently after the reboot.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2015, 05:36:30 am »
Both Lenovo programs are not in msconfig Services or Start-up. I did find in Services: Lenovo WiFiHotspot Service. Is that okay? Doesn't Windows have its own WiFi connection program? I don't know anything about WiFi and laptops. At home I use LAN-cables (much safer :D). If I'd take my laptop with me on an Expotition I wouldn't even know how to connect to a WiFi spot but I'll see about that when I get there. :) So I'll just leave those last Lenovo programs alone. Thanks, Boggin, for the advice! Do you realize we're REALLY done now with all the Lenovo crap and how much effort that took? Shame on them.  :evil:

I didn't give you that last karma point. If I remember correctly I gave you the karma point that made 21. :D

Now I'll defragment the discs (I use O&O Defrag Free) and do all the cleaning/virus scans/malware scans and the sfc /scannow again.

Is it okay if I send you a personal message? I'll explain why in it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:25:54 am by Lady »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2015, 07:58:25 am »
Yes, that would be okay.

My younger son and daughter in law have recently bought a Lenovo laptop but I think they've just left it as-is as they tend to use an iPad for general stuff and my daughter in law uses the laptop for her solicitor's work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:08:22 am by Boggin »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2015, 11:47:24 am »
Well, to each his own! :smiley:

I know a lot of people, and I don't mean to include your son and daughter in law, don't feel like putting in all this effort and don't really care about their privacy issues or the risk of getting infected and so on. But Superfish and the Lenovo Search Engine were seriously bad, so it might be a good thing if they checked and removed at least those.

And, don't forget, if I had a father like you standing right behind me, I'd be REALLY laid-back about my computers!! Hahahaha

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »
They were aware of Superfish and I believe they've gotten rid of it but have probably just left the bloat on.

As long as it works then they are quite happy :)