Author Topic: Computer won't shut down  (Read 11516 times)

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
Computer won't shut down
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:04:49 pm »
Hi all, I was having a problem with my firewall earlier and I got online support involved. The guy told me to download the Windows repair thing, skip ahead to step 5 and then do a registry backup and create a system restore point, or something along those lines, and then go to repairs. So I did the Registry Backup thing, got confused and clicked restore registry, did all that good stuff, said restart computer and realized I the guy never said anything about that. So now my computer has been attempting to shut down for over an hour. I don't know if that's normal, in the first place, but assuming it is, did I just do something really dumb and probably somehow mess up my computer? And aside from that, is it a bad idea to pull the plug during the shutdown process now?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer won't shut down
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:00:59 pm »
No, it's okay to do a power shutdown when a computer gets into a loop and when you switch back on, you'll be prompted to start Windows normally.

You should have a restore point prior to the online help or if you created that other restore was before you made any changes to the registry.

If the computer goes into the shutdown loop again, then it will be because Windows is trying to protect itself.

If this is the case then power shutdown again (but try not to do this too many times) and then boot up into Safe Mode and try your restore points to before your session with the online support.

If that gives you your firewall problem again, then post details of that problem we'll see what we can do with that.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
When you say the system is trying to shutdown, what is showing on the screen? Does it say windows is shutting down? And do you see the hard drive light on the system blinking at all or on at all? It is possible the system is frozen and you will have to hard reboot it.

Shane

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:33 am »
Late update, I fixed the firewall problem (thanks to you guys telling me it's ok to unplug! Would've probably stayed up all night and had a staring competition with the screen had I not done that). Though my computer does still seem to get stuck on that shutdown screen every so often. Most of the time it's the screen with the circle saying ''Shutting down...'' , though sometimes it freezes up before it even gets there.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »
While you haven't said which version of Windows you are using, this article has tips for both Win 7 and 8 http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-taking-forever-shut-try/

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:37 pm »
If you have my pro version of the windows repair, one of the tweaks is to have windows report what it is doing during startup and shutdown, that way you can see at what point it is getting stuck. If you dont have the pro you can also set it manually, it is just a registry setting :-)

One of the other settings it does is to auto kill stuck programs and service as well that might be keeping shutdown from finishing.

Shane

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 05:00:03 am »
Well, so far the shut downs have been going well.
I did start having problems starting up though (this was the case yesterday already, but then after a cold boot it seemed fixed and I didn't really think of it anymore). It takes much longer than usual for windows (7, by the way, I did forget to mention that previously) to start up, giving me the "Please wait" screen, then when I log in I get a message saying "Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service-service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond.". Aero also doesn't work. However when I go onto the guest account on my computer everything seems to work normally.
I have already done a quick google search and it seems like many other people have had this problem at one point or another. So far I've tried this:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/21488611-2011-4242-90a5-ba1f536ca5f6/could-not-connect-to-system-event-notification-service?forum=w7itprogeneral and this youtube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXm9dh8pw8A ; with no success.
Not sure if anyone knows the fix for it, or if your program can somehow help fix it?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:17:47 am »
I had this happen on a customers machine that I reinstalled, it was the audio drivers causing the problem. Try uninstalling them or better yet find an updated version of your audio drivers.

The slower startup is because Windows is waiting for a service to start, and it isnt so it waits for the time out, and thus you are slower booting up because you are waiting for that service to start.

Shane

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »
I tried uninstalling, reinstalling and updating them to no avail. It does tell me now that i have no audio devices connected (Which I do), there seems to be no way to fix it. Although honostly I remember having trouble with it before. I somehow fixed that and that's how the problems with SENS got started, I think. After running system repair the SENS error stopped and I have Aero again, however my audio still doesn't work and startup still takes a bit longer (though I guess audio not working might be why?). If it helps, for the audio drivers it says I have installed: Intel(R) Display Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:51:59 pm »
In Device Manager do any of them have a yellow alert next to them ?

Can you also check Event Viewer for any related Errors with a time stamp the same as your last boot.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »
Do you know your motherboard model by chance? Or is it a store bought machine, if it is what is the make and model?

Shane

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »
Boggin: No yellow alerts, event viewer around startup: Dhcp, windows search ( or something), EventLog, Service control manager (a bunch of times).
Shane: Dell inspiron 660.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 03:14:22 pm »
What are the Event ID Nos for the Service Control Manager errors ?

Offline BerryRed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 03:19:13 pm »
7009, 7000, 7034, 7022

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »
Have you tried updating all the drivers you can from dell?
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-660/drivers

When you listed the sound devices in device manager I didnt see you mention "Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver" so grab that driver from dell and install it as well as any and all others that you can :-)

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:52 pm »
Shane; has he tried to run the basic system functions first?

a SFC/CHK? errors reports?

also; please note as of late. RUN a recent combofix to fix most errors related to malicious background programs running that we have no idea unless we onsite:)