Author Topic: (Solved) My registry problem with my desktop before upgrade to Windows 10  (Read 15321 times)

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
This morning I ran through sfc /scannow to find what is the problem with my desktop because my operating system cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Home Premium 64X from Windows 7 Home Premium 64X. There are errors in log file and is there a way that I can get these fixed before upgrade to Windows 10 or do a clean install with Windows 7 Home Premium 64X first. I see that my registry is a mess and that is why my operating system cannot upgrade before the fixes applied first. Tell me what should I do first to repair the registry or do a clean install of Windows 7 then upgrade to Windows 10. Or your payware Tweaking Repair will do the fix of my computer registry? You will see that I sent my log.txt attachment with my message.

Thank you,

John
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:57:04 pm by jpmackay »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: My registry problem with my desktop before upgrade to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:40:59 pm »
The only error I found was of the windows update client trying to update itself then failing.

Does the event viewer show any errors of any kind? And have you done a bad sector check on your hard drive yet?

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
Thank you for your time to review my log.txt and mine is Kingston 120GB Solid State Drive and the event viewer never show me any errors of any kind. That's strange. And all I know when downloading and installing the new operating system of Windows 10 through Windows Update and got the error message right after finish installed Windows 10. The message said below:

Windows 10 couldn't be installed

Failed: 1 update

Error(s) found:

[ Try Again ]

Code 80070005    Windows Update encountered an unknown error
                             Get help with this error

That's what I got this message every time after downloading and install Windows 10 through Windows Update. This is 10 times so far since the release of Windows 10.

I did download through MediaCreation onto USB with the new operating system of Windows 10 Home Premium 64X. I wonder if I can install this through USB or not a good idea. Will wait to hear what others have to say about this.

Thank you again,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:18:19 pm »
I dont trust it to install through windows update, i downloaded the iso, had it go to a usb drive, then ran the setup from the usb inside windows and it did the work, didnt even ask for a key since it was updating a windows 7 machine.

So I would say do it the same way and forget windows updates lol

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »
I would have thought that you would have had to boot up with the USB and do the Upgrade option ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:12:45 pm »
Did you disable your AV program before trying the download/install ?

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:17:18 pm »
Thank you for your suggestion to turn off anti-virus program. Unfortunately still the same as before. Will wait till sometime tomorrow to install Windows 10 from my USB stick. Will remember to turn off anti-virus program first before install.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
I would have thought that you would have had to boot up with the USB and do the Upgrade option ?

Nope, every version of windows setup will tell you to run setup from with in windows in order to do an upgrade :-)

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:10 pm »
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-line-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now-1720854489
Follow this link and download the creation tool you must reserve your Windows 10 copy i believe
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 12:45:10 am »

Nope, every version of windows setup will tell you to run setup from with in windows in order to do an upgrade :-)

Shane

So is it only the Custom install where you need to boot up with the install media ?

I have it waiting to download through the updates on my other laptop, but still waiting for it on this one which I want to use it on for its initial appraisal before upgrading the other one and reverting this one to Win 7 - I would prefer to get it through updates but was wondering whether to download and install with the ISO - guess I'll wait.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:43:33 am »
You can try these steps to see if they will resolve the 80070005 error https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/968003

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:41 pm »
I did try this from the site of Microsoft and still no go with stupid error. Earlier I decided to give a try to install Windows 10 from USB onto my desktop and nothing start to install. What have I done wrong with this. Because of serious registry problems on my desktop?? If it is then I guess that I will have to reformat the SSD and reinstall Windows 7 from my 3 recovery DVD's of Acer. Or will Shane's payware Tweaking can repair the registry then try again to install Windows 10 from USB.

Let me know what is the best option for this.

Smile,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »
Do you have nvidia drivers installed? Seems to be a big problem with nvidia from what I have been seeing. If you do have nvidia drivers installed, try uninstalling them and then the upgrade again.

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
dang it! I posted the wrong link last time I meant this link I've been using this tool from Microsoft when GWX disappears.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10
Julian

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31:22 pm »
My answer to Shane -- I don't have Nvidia drivers and using AMD for my desktop. Thanks for checking with me about graphic card driver. Another to Julian -- Yes I already know about this site and did download few times to get Windows 64 exe but for some reasons when I clicked the exe file to install and nothing performed also don't see the Tool icon to open and download the operating system of Windows 10. I am not sure what block them from installing the exe file. Boy I get more frustration trying to get anything work to get the operating system of Windows 10 on my desktop. I don't know what next with this? I don't want to take my desktop to computer repairs to see if they can fix because it cost money to get fixed for little thing.

Smile,

John

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »
Hmmmm is gwx.exe running on your system?
Julian

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 09:00:04 pm »
Where do I find GWX.exe in my desktop? If you can tell me where to locate in what folder under the main folder as well then I will look up this file to see if I have one or not.

Thank you,

John

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:54:05 pm »
Where do I find GWX.exe in my desktop? If you can tell me where to locate in what folder under the main folder as well then I will look up this file to see if I have one or not.

Thank you,

John
C:\Windows\system32\gwx\
That is the location sorry for not mentioning that in the first place now next to your clock you would have a white Windows symbol and in task manager you would see gwx.exe under the running processes.
Julian

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:49:02 am »
Thank you Julian for pointing to where the file is located? I don't see this file in my System32 folder but had good news that it's working last night that Windows 10 update was installed on my desktop. I am not sure or know how is that happen with this to make possible to update Windows 10 Home not like before with error 80070005. Last night when I restarted the desktop and Windows Update popped up on my screen to ask me if I give my permission to download Windows 10 and thought why not give my permission to update. Off they went and download/installed the program of Windows 10. Finally it's working now.

Thank you to all who have tried to help me with this problem.

Smile,

John

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 09:10:51 pm »
Woot im so glad that it is solved! You can edit the first post and change the subject to solved. And any help on anything just make a post we are all here to help out.  :smiley:
Julian