Author Topic: windows 8 store corruption  (Read 4243 times)

Offline kirbyb

• View Profile
windows 8 store corruption
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
I had already run the 'complete' set of tweaking repairs, but the windows store was still broken.  Followed everything I could find in the forums, finally found this that fixed it:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

If you get error 0x8007064A after executing this, it means that the registry key "KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages" does not haveSYSTEM as the owner.
Change the owner back to SYSTEM as explained here and try again.

To fix three other system apps such as PC Settings, run the following:
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\camera\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\FileManager\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

Specifically, it was the 'SYSTEM' as owner on the KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages key that was the fix.  It would be spiffy if you could add that to your set of windows 8 fixes.  Once that was done, then all of those powershell incantations worked great.  Prior to that, they all failed.

Kirby

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: windows 8 store corruption
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »
The thing is, every one of those things the program already does in the repair windows 8 app store repair. So it is odd that it didnt fix it when you had it run.

Did you run all the repairs and did you run them in safe mode? What i have noticed most is when people dont run the program in safe mode their antivirus gets in the way and blocks a lot fo the registry changes and repairs, sometimes making things worse.

If it was done in safe mode I am curious to why it didnt work since it did the same commands.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline kirbyb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
I didn't run in Safe mode, will be 100% sure to do that next time, thanks!

Kirby

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »
Hmmm there is 2 seperate repairs i believe the second version of the Windows store repair was the best one because it does the same commands but removes a few registry keys that the first one does not. usually the first works just fine but the second one fixes other problems as well.
Julian

Offline Chillyb

• You get what you give
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
I didn't run in Safe mode, will be 100% sure to do that next time, thanks!

Kirby

I did the exact same thing my first time using this magical tool Kirby.  :undecided:  But since then, it's worked like a champ on each system I've used it on.  Happy 'puting!!