Author Topic: Malwarebytes helping me  (Read 10192 times)

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
Malwarebytes helping me
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:34 am »
MBAM is helping me fix my XP system and had me download a repair tool from your site that will not install because of a sharing error (see attachment).

Windows Repair (all in one) from http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe

Can anyone resolve this Sharing error ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Malwarebytes helping me
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:57:27 am »
Your antivirus is scanning the file and not letting the installer finish with it, just disable your AV and once it is installed make sure you run the repairs from windows safe mode. :wink:

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:53:48 am »
Shane: Excellent, it is now installed. One of my problems the MBAM is helping me with is  that I can't get into safe mode (keeps looping back to beginning of boot) and Management Console programs are missing, so I can't do much.  Can the repair be run out of safe mode ? I know it is recommended to be run in safe mode, though.

Thanks, Ken

PS: I will mark this as complete when I come back next time.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:32:50 am »
What happens if you open up msconfig, click on the boot tab and set the safe mode option there, does it work?

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:44:51 am »
Shane:
Any attempt (your program), setting the safe boot in msconfig or pressing F8 all will go to Safe Mode and begin loading drivers, then pause, but eventually the Dell splash screen pops up again, and the cycle repeats.  Now as well as this problem the Management Console MMC does not work and most administrative tasks, even search cannot be executed. Malwarebytes said this morning (after 3 days of scans etc) the system is clean. Unfortunate for me I have no Windows CD for this XP Pro computer which was given to me.

Thanks, Ken

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »
Ah, it sounds like the system is blue screening and then rebooting when trying to boot into safe mode, normally that will happen when a driver needed for boot isn't in the safe mode registry list, such as raid or ahci drivers.

You could use a program called WhoCrashed to look up the crashes and see what caused them, that would at least tell us what driver, then if you reinstall the driver it should add it self back to the safe mode list :wink:

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »
Well in this case I donot see blue screen, but I downloaded the product from Replendence Software and got attached error. I filled out their trouble form and awaiting reply.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:35:38 am »
Looks like the c++ runtime files are corrupt or the wrong versions.

If you havent ran my repairs yet because you cant get into safe mode, just make sure your antivirus is fully disabled and run all the repairs in normal mode. make sure to do a registry backup with the program first in case something doesnt go right :-)

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:49:11 am »
Shane: Thank you - But doesn't the program automatically set the safe mode switch, then reboot the computer, which will them put me in the loop again ? ! I am sure that already happened when I ran it.

Ken

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:37:32 am »
If your safe mode is missing a boot driver that is needed then yes that will happen. Thats why i said go ahead and run it in normal mode and just make sure your antivirus is completely off and close any and all 3rd party programs to keep them out of the way :-)

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »
Well, thank you for your assistance, Shane. I was able to run the repair normal mode. Apparently whatever Malware that messed up my OS, did a good job at it. I was not sure what to expect of this repair. and was running it at request of Malwarebytes. Anyhow, safe mode still doesn't work, search, manage, and other MMC functions are kaput, ie missing files, soooo I am up the proverbial creek. Thanks again, for your help.
MBAM did say the system is now clean, but OS is probably to far gone to correct.
Ken

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »
A repair install of Windows would be a good idea.

My program fixes registry problems and such but doesnt replace or touch any system files. So if files are missing that might be the problem.

You could always download and run the system readiness tool from microsoft to see if it can replace so of the missing files.

Shane

Offline ksiemb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:28:27 am »
Yes, a repair install, but I have no XP Pro CD  :sleep:
On another note, Do you know of any software that compares two folders/subfolders on two different hard drives and report  the missing modules between the two ? Specifically \windows on two Hard drives ?
I have to look at why there are two system32 folders under windows, and why there is
a windows2 folder with another system32 subfolder. A second installation and maybe my missing files are in it ? !

Also can you tell me the command and format of the instructions to extract a file from an XP installation CD. I am desperate enough to extract from XP Home Edition CD !

Ken

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:17:50 am »
I dont know of any programs off the top of my head, but I do know there is a lot out there.

As for XP, that is an easy one, all the files are in the i386 folder on the xp cd and they are compressed
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/888017

Shane