Author Topic: Registry Backup - how to put saved stuff onto a new computer if needed please?  (Read 8274 times)

Offline madmudmob

• View Profile
Please excuse the fact that I am a total know-nought about computers.

I have recently bought Windows Repair Pro - had to use it just once and found it wonderful, astounding and it perfectly cured the blue-screen (?) problem I suffered.  Clear and simple instructions that even a techy numpty like me could follow successfully.

I am now looking at the Registry Backup as I hate the thought of losing everything if/when my computer dies.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a computer with 3GB which is about 6 years old (and much loved).

I regularly scan with AVG Anti-Virus, MalwareBytes and Super Anti Spyware and use CCleaner and Wise Care to keep it lean'n'clean.

Please could some kind person explain how I would use Registry Backup to put the saved things onto a new computer?

Many thanks for all and any help offered.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Please could some kind person explain how I would use Registry Backup to put the saved things onto a new computer?

What do you mean by "saved things"? Personal files? Such as photos, music etc? If so then a simple backup of those made to an external HDD can be moved to a new machine in the future.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

It is always a good idea to keep regular Registry Backups to, especially before making any changes to your system. For this you can use Shane's program.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:02:00 am by Samson »

Offline madmudmob

• View Profile
Thanks for replying.

Errm, I have no idea what I want to back up really - as much as possible preferably.

I have tried to make backups on my computer but am having the following problems ....
"I have been exploring how to make a backup so that if my computer dies I will have some record (I assume that is what it means) to put on a replacement computer to make it similar to the one I am using now

I use Firefox so tried their FEBE extension ....
FEBE Firefox Extension
but that didn't seem what I wanted.

So, I uninstalled FEBE and have been trying to make a backup onto a memory stick but am running into problems that I will do my best to explain clearly.

I have tried two new 4GB memory sticks and followed the advice in Control Panel, Backup and Restore.

The Start, Computer screen confirms that Drive I (the memory stick) has 3.85GB free before I start.

All starts well but after a while I get the following message "The disk that your backups are being saved on doesn't have enough free space" and also says that I only have 1.39MB free of the 3.8GB.

So I found a video and tried to follow the instructions carefully ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRdkLClj5rQ
and did so until 2.40 in. The previous steps I followed were fine but I simply could not find the Windows Backup file.

I followed the instructions to delete that backup and tried again. I then tried twice with a different new 4GB memory stick from a different supplier but had the same result.

At that point I came here and looked through the Tutorials but I am thoroughly confused and lost.

Please could some kind person help me make a backup?

(Also, I would really appreciate an explanation of what it actually will do if/when I pop the memory stick into a new computer once this one eventually dies)?"

which I posted on the Windows 7 forum but have not (yet) received any help that I could understand ...
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/377853-not-enough-space-left-complete-backup-4gb-empty-memory-stick.html

Hence my thoughts on using Registry Backup instead?

Offline madmudmob

• View Profile
"Shane's program" ....  ? I must be missing something as I don't quite understand - is that a program on here I haven't found yet please?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
OK, tell me if am being patronising, that is not my intention.  :wink:

Types of backup...

You may choose to backup your important stuff, like photos, music, documents etc....anything that you could not replace if you lost them.

You can also backup your entire system...called a disk image. This will include your operating system, programs and all your documents. So that in a disaster situation (say your HDD dies) you could restore your PC to exactly the same as it was when the disk image was made.

You can use Shane's program - Tweaking.com - Registry Backup to create a backup of your registry, so that after making changes to your system, you can restore the registry to a known good point in time.

USB thumb drives are not great for doing the first 2 types of backup, they are generally not big enough (as you have found) and they are not as reliable as an external USB HDD.

If you do not have one you should consider getting a good sized external HDD, they are pretty cheap now and use that to store your backups on. Look for a 1TB or bigger HDD.

Offline madmudmob

• View Profile
Not patronising at all ... perfectly said in a way (even) I understand.

Okay, I will use Shane's program (now I know what you meant lol) and look on good old eBay for a "1TB or bigger HDD"

Offline Samson

• View Profile
You are welcome, glad to have offered some help.

I would avoid any "used" items on Ebay, and depending on where you are in the world? Newegg are always pretty competitive on price.
I have a Seagate and a Western Digital, both are brands that I trust. If you have USB 3.0 on your PC/ laptop then go for a HDD that is USB 3.0 as well for faster transfer speeds.

Offline madmudmob

• View Profile
Will do (am in the UK) :)