Author Topic: unable to update windows 7 home premium  (Read 9817 times)

Offline gcra

• View Profile
unable to update windows 7 home premium
« on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:20 pm »
its on an hp dm1 netbook. the last installed update was in May. However, the check for update window says that no updates were ever checked for or installed. I've tried the Microsoft fixes and Tweaking's repair twice today without success. Please would you suggest a fix?

I think I'm unable to upgrade to W10 because of this- the update stalls at 25%...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: unable to update windows 7 home premium
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:30 am »
For you to even get the Win 10 update, some updates must have installed since May.

What does View Update History list ?

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:56:37 am »
Hi. Thanks for replying.
The last update for Windows was a security update in May this yr. KB3046482.
Yesterday, 9/8, I found ,after I ran windows repair perhaps, that security updates for the dot net framework (only) had been installed (last update kb3037581).
Microsoft had not offered the upgrade to windows 10. I had downloaded the installation on an USB.
I ran FIXIT 50202 with the aggressive option just a while ago  without effect.

Would you have any suggestions, please?

gcra

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
Fix it 50202 Aggressive Mode is quite a heavy tool to use.

It will be best for you to post the logs for the WR that you ran for Shane to examine, but can you run a command prompt as an admin and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports that it is unable to repair some files then at the cmd prompt enter

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS Log into Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:09:27 am »
Thanks so much for your time and patience and I apologise for my naivete.
How do I convince cmd that I am an administrator?( I am logged into my windows through the admin account.)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:29:31 am »
Sorry for leaving those steps out.

Click on the Start orb or press the Windows key - type cmd then right click on cmd and then click on Run as administrator - accept the UAC and then you can enter the cmd sfc /scannow

It usually takes 15-20mins and gives its report on completion.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:47 am »
When you ran my windows repair tool did you make sure to run it in windows safe mode and run all the repairs?

Shane

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 04:17:54 am »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for looking in on my problem. Yes, I did run it in safe mode. The latest version of your program has the button for that (conveniently for people like me)

If I may digress, when I tried to access your site I was told my IP address could be a robot and I had to answer a question twice.

I encountered the honeypot website when I was looking online for some yoga books which I found on an IP address. But when i tried to access the website there was a message from this Honeypot website. However, I could not find anything suspicious about a site that contained a few yoga books and downloaded a few pdfs.

I scanned the downloads with Norton and found nothing.

Should I delete those downloads?

Coming back to the problem, today I ran a prescan. There were problems with reparse points. Something about infinite loops. Pasted below:

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.4.1 - Pre-Scan
Computer: G2-HP (Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
Started at (13/08/15 13:51:44)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scanning Windows Packages Files.
Started at (13/08/15 13:51:44)

No problems were found with the Packages Files.

Files Checked & Verified: 3,471

Done (13/08/15 13:53:35)

Scanning Reparse Points.
Started at (13/08/15 13:53:35)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\ProgramData\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\ProgramData) (Creation Time: 14/07/09 08:08:56)
Infinite Loop! Points back to a parent folder. I was able to access the original path folder contents, which means it creates an infinite loop.

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 14/07/09 08:08:56)
Infinite Loop! Points back to a parent folder. I was able to access the original path folder contents, which means it creates an infinite loop.

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\DefaultAppPool\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 12/07/15 04:41:42)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 13/05/15 11:17:50)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\fbwuser5D07\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\fbwuser5D07\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 15/12/14 07:42:09)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\fbwuser8AC8\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\fbwuser8AC8\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 15/12/14 07:42:02)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\fbwuser9A2C\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\fbwuser9A2C\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 16/12/14 09:35:01)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\fbwuser9E5A\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\fbwuser9E5A\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 15/12/14 07:42:04)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\fbwuserEED8\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\fbwuserEED8\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 16/12/14 14:48:48)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\g2\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\g2\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 06/01/12 01:29:12)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: My Videos) (Original Path: C:\Users\g2\Documents\My Videos) (Target Path: C:\Users\g2\Videos) (Creation Time: 06/01/12 01:29:11)
Target Path doesn't exist!

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\g2 work\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\g2 work\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 02/09/12 00:56:16)

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 25/03/15 19:38:43)

Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\dub_cm_auto\AppData\Roaming)
A Default Reparse Point is missing and this can cause problems on the system.

Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.

Files & Folders Searched: 274,088
Reparse Points Found: 190

Done (13/08/15 13:59:31)

Checking Environment Variables.
Started at (13/08/15 13:59:31)

No problems were found with the Environment Variables.

Scan Complete - Problems Found!

You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.

While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.
But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.
If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Please would you advise about both issues?

gcra

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:46 am »
p.s. when I hit the repair reparse point button and scanned again, they were all there still. Repeated the process twice to no avail.

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:55 am »
i've since been able to upgrade to W10 successfully keeping only my personal files. I still need to test my connection to my home wireless. I hope the update problems will have been solved with the upgrade.

Regarding the Honeypot issue, I think it was caused by my dynamic IP address. i found on the Net that this particular  address is listed in the name of  an Abdullah Obaid n Riyadh and is blacklisted on at least 8 domains! IP Blacklist cloud even lists his phone no.!

Offline gcra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »
update: nwindows update completed successfully post upgrade and no more warnings about being a robot, either...thanks, shane and boggin.