Author Topic: System File Check For Windows 10  (Read 23497 times)

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
System File Check For Windows 10
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:12 pm »
I ran the System File Check option of the Windows Repair program while booted to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit in Safe Mode with Networking. Corrupt files were found but System File Check could not repair them.

I then started Windows 10 normally and ran sfc /scannow. The results were exactly the same as those for the Windows Repair program.

I then ran SFCFix.exe (a Sysinternals program) but that said it was unable to locate the  source file. It gave a link to a Microsoft web page giving an explanation about the source file, but I could not understand it.

Can anyone tell me where to find the source file please. (I have an installation DVD for Windows 10).

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: System File Check For Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 01:18:08 am »
I'll leave your main question to someone else, Roy - but I think it would be an idea to find which files it was unable to repair.

I'm not sure if this cmd will work in Win 10 but you can give it a go.

In a Commad Prompt (Admin) enter findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
 and that should put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS Log in Notepad, which can then be copied & pasted into the reply box.

After you have created the desktop icon, from the same cmd prompt, enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It could look as if it is hanging at 20% but give it time and it should complete and if it reports success then run another sfc /scannow to see if it still can't repair all files, but hopefully it should report no violations.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 02:47:06 am »
Boggin, thanks. I knew the command to get the sfc details in a text file on my desktop, and the file is attached. I don't think the unrepaired corruptions referred to are important, but perhaps you can confirm this for me.

I will await a reply from someone else about the source file.

Thanks and regards,
Roy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 03:07:42 am »
They all seem to relate to Edge which I think is still a work in progress, but I believe Edge is essential for Cortana although IE 11 and Google work equally well.

I don't know if after uninstalling those updates they would re-present, or whether you'd need to Google for them for direct reinstalls would fix the sfc errors - with Win 10 and Windows Updates being a new concept.

There is supposed to be a major update scheduled for about October but as to what that is going to fix is anyone's guess.

I'm not sure if those Package problems would prevent future updates from installing, but if the dism /restorehealth doesn't clear the sfc errors then you could consider rolling back and then upgrading again to Win 10.

I think that MS setting 29th July as the official release date had put them under undue pressure to get it right, but I think in doing so has produced a temperamental out of the box product for some.

EDIT - Just a thought, as the files are also corrupt in the Store - if you created the Win 10 bootable ISO to boot up with, perhaps an offboot sfc /scannow would provide an incorrupt source ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:12:19 am by Boggin »

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 03:53:31 am »
Boggin, I assume that I could run the offboot sfc /scannow command by booting to Win 10, then opening the bootable ISO, and then running the command. Is that correct?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:20:36 am »
What you do is change the boot order to change it to CD/DVD before the HDD - insert the disk then press enter.

In Win 7 and hopefully in Win 10, after the prompt to press any key to boot from the media and after the files have loaded, you should be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted where you would press enter.

Follow the prompts to navigate to the Recovery Environment, making a note of where it says the OS is located and at the command prompt enter (assuming C )

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

and see what that reports - there's a space before each forward slash.

There's also the cmds in an elevated cmd prompt in Windows you could try which are -

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

and follow that with dism /online /ckeanup-image /restorehealth and run the sfc /scannow afterwards to see if it still reports errors.

The Dism cmds could hang at 20% for a while but wait for each to complete and give their reports.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:25:49 am by Boggin »

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 08:12:31 am »
Boggin, when I booted from the Win 10 DVD I got the expected options to install or repair. I chose repair, which is what I assume you meant by navigate to Recovery.

You say note where the OS is located, but I didn't know how to do that, however I assumed that since I booted from the Win 10 DVD It would be C.

I chose the command prompt window, but it opened with X:\Sources>-I assume I need it to open with C:\Windows\System32> and if that is correct how do I change the command line to that?

Please advise.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 08:19:50 am »
No, you are right where you need to be and that is the cmd prompt you get when you boot up outside of Windows.

To find the correct partition letter, at the cmd prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and that will produce the letter you need to use in the sfc cmd.

I'm not sure if it is clear in the forum but that is a Pipe symbol before find and as you probably know, it is the upper case of \

Did you try those Dism cmds before booting up with the install disk or was my edit in my last post too late for you to notice ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:21:35 am by Boggin »

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 09:03:57 am »
When I ran the bcdedit |find "osdevice" command the command prompt window displayed the following:

osdevice                         partition=D:
osdevice                         partition=C:

and below that X:\Sources>

What should I enter after that?

Apart from the above, FWIW your edit still hasn't appeared on the web page for this topic.

It's unrelated, but how do I set the time zone for my account?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:12 am »
I didn't actually put Edit into that post - just added some Dism commands you could try from within Windows.

That's a strange one with the partition letters unless it is still seeing Win 7 or your previous OS.

When you boot with an install disk and select Repair your Computer, it does a Searching for the OS.

For it to list both partitions, the OSs it has found would have been listed on that page before you clicked on Next.

It may be quicker to enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the disk and hit Restart and then go through the procedure of booting up with disk again rather that running the sfc cmd on both partitions.

In the Run Offline System File Checker section of this article you will see the bit I mean where it searches for and locates the OS and you would click on the OS you want to repair before hitting next, but in most cases where just one OS is installed, that's the one that is highlighted so you just hit Next unless you want to try the restore from an image option.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/run-system-file-checker-safe-mode-boot-time

For it to list both D: and C: I can only think that it is also seeing the previous OS, but it can still see a single OS as in D: which is why you either need to make a note of the location or run that cmd.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 04:08:19 am »
Boggin,

I ran the two Dism commands. The first one completed successfully, but the second one ended by saying it was unable to locate the source file, so I still need someone to help with that for Win 10 please.

Regarding the partition letters, I should have realized that when I ran the bcdedit |find "osdevice" command the reason the command prompt window showed 2 partition letters is that I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit on one SSD and Win 10 Pro 64 bit on another, (I purchased licenses for both) so I don't know what command to use to get the second Dism command to run in Safe Mode for Win 10.

The most important thing I need to know is how to locate the source file for Win 10.

I await further help.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:45 am »
To simplify matters can you disconnect the Win 7 SSD then redo the steps of booting up with the Win 10 disk to run the offboot sfc /scannow ?

During the navigation to the RE it will do a search for OSs which you would select to repair as in that article I'd linked.

As you are booted up outside of both SSDs, the bcdedit cmd could see both Win 7 and Win 10, so in the search for OSs you would need to note the location of Win 10 and click on that before clicking on Next - but with just the one OS, it will default to Win 10, in which case if you miss the search, the bcdedit cmd will default to the Win 10 partition letter for the sfc /scannow.

I suppose you could redo the dism cmd after disconnecting the Win 7 SSD and then see what it reports.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:11:08 am »
Boggin, I'm afraid I'm not comfortable with opening the PC case and doing what you suggest, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Since all the corrupt files seem to relate to Edge, and to be minor, and bearing in mind that Edge is a work in process, I am going to forget about attempting to repair those files.

I have another problem. I ran the Tweaking.com repair tool in Safe Mode and one Reparse Point error was found. It referred to an infinite loop and mentioned the type was Junction, and I believe it concerned C:\Program Data, but I couldn't see all the path as the window wasn't wide enough.

I used the repair Reparse Point option, but after the repair function completed the same Reparse Point error was shown. I ran the repair Reparse Point option again, several times, but it made no difference.

I then ran the repairs option, but after over 6 hours the repair was still stuck on the first repair, Reset Registry Permissions.  Could this be because the repair Reparse Point did not work?

Please advise what I should try next.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:47:59 am »
I was under the impression that any Reparse errors didn't affect the WR process.

Are you able to stop WR and post a log to show the error message as I think Shane will need to see that to see what is going wrong.

I've just noticed Julian's thread which may have something to do with the Reparse problem, especially if it's compounded with another error you have.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3497.0.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:52:04 am by Boggin »

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 02:17:32 am »
Boggin, I'm sorry to say that I'm now confusing myself over which operating system I ran the repairs on. Having said that today I ran the repair tool with Windows 7 running, (I know that isn't recommended) and all 52 items selected completed successfully.

To clear up any confusion I will run the repair tool on Windows 10, and will report back.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Regards, Roy

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 02:26:07 am »
No nuisance whatsoever :)

When you get chewed with a problem it's quite easy to lose track of what you've done and starting afresh as you have, can get you back on track.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 12:43:47 pm »
Boggin,

I ran the repair tool with Windows 10 running, and a copy of various log files is attached.(If you need the remaining log files please let me know).I also ran sfc /scannow after the repair operation finished and the sfcdetails.txt file is attached.

I would greatly appreciate your comments on the attachments.

Apart from that, according to Windows Update KB3074683 and KB3081436 failed to install today, and I believe both were shown as successfully installed before I ran the repair tool. Do you have download links for them, for Windows 10 Pro? (The last time I ran the repair tool the number of installed updates was correct, but most of them are not shown now. I understand that doesn't matter).

I await your reply.

Thanks, Roy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:50:58 pm by Roy Whitethread »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
Those WR logs are more the domain of Shane, but at least we now know where Win 10 is located.

It is in C: so reboot with the ISO to navigate to the RE and then you can perform the offboot sfc cmd using C:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

And hopefully that should provide the source.

I think there is a Dism cmd to include the source but can't remember it - but you shouldn't have gotten errors from such a new install/upgrade.

If you haven't deleted the windows.old folder then you could roll back to Win 7 and retry the upgrade using the ISO.

I'm not sure if you would need the product key but I've seen reported that if you skip entering the key, it activates based on your original key.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 03:12:03 am »
Boggin, in the offboot sfc cmd is there a space between \ /?.

Regarding the 2 Windows Updates I referred to, I downloaded the standalone installers but when I tried to run them I was told they were already installed. This clashes with what Update History says, but can I just forget about it?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:09 am »
Hi Roy,

Can't help you with the troublesome updates unfortunately, as I have more than enough problems of my own when it comes to updating both my W7 and W8.1 machines and have had similar problems myself, but the sfc command Definitely has a gap between the \ and the / - I've used it often enough! :D

I'm sure Boggin will come back to you on the updates.... :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:33 am »
Tony has given you the answer for \ / and I believe WR wipes the update history when it empties the SoftwareDistribution Folder as part of its repairs, but it's Installed Updates that you go by.

If you enter each KB in the top right search box, they should come up, but I'm not sure why you have been offered them again unless WR has confused MS.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:51 am »
Tony, thanks.

Boggin, I was not offered the updates again. After running WR, Windows Update said the updates I referred to failed to install, and that's why I downloaded the standalone versions, but as I said previously when I tried to install them I was told they were already installed. The confusion over Windows Updates seems to be caused by a glitch in the WR program. Is this something Shane can fix?

Regarding the sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows command, assuming that does find the source I need to know the dism command to include the source, and I hope Shane can tell me that.

I await further advice.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:05 pm »
The Dism cmd I was thinking about includes /LimitAccess but not sure if that is the one that will do it as the log said that it was also corrupt in the Component Store - which is why I've suggested the offboot sfc /scannow with the Win 10 ISO.

However, is this the error you were getting with the /restorehealth cmd http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-corrupt-windows-image-error-0x800f0906

The fix in that article may also resolve your /restorehealth error.

Offline Roy Whitethread

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:49:47 am »
Boggin, I ran the commands referred to in the Windows Club link and they succeeded, apart from the command C:\Windows\System 32>ren catroot 2 catroot 2o1d. I was told a duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found.

I tried the restore health command, with Windows 10 running and in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and was told dism doesn't recognize the command line option "health".

Command Prompt suggested I got help by entering the command DISM.exe /?., but when I did I was told the ?. option is unknown!!

HELP!! What do I do now?. (Command Prompt not recognizing a command it suggested itself is crazy)!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 05:03:19 am »
It does sound a bit daft - doesn't it ?

Did you enter the cmd as dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth without any typos and including a space before all forward slashes ?

How does it run in normal mode and how did you get on with the offboot sfc /scannow ?