Author Topic: problem with Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 64-bit  (Read 26219 times)

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
problem with Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 64-bit
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
Hi, I'm a new poster here, but have been brousing as an unregistered guest.

My upgrade has failed too many times, last count as 18.  I read a few posts here, and decided to try your recommended SW, 'Windows Repair'. So thought to try the first optional scan, which found 22 problems with the Package Files and stated that these problems would effect installing Windows Updates.  Then saying to seek help on this Forum.

So could anyone here help me please with this exasperating problem. Please don't get too technical as I am only 85. LOL!

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: problem with Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:31 pm »
I will be more than happy to help :-)

First, did you make sure to run my windows repair tool in windows safe mode and to run all the repairs?

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 01:13:18 pm »
Hi Shane

My first run I did not use Safe Mode, but only used the second option which showed the error I mentioned in my OP.  After looking at other posting on here, I decided I should try as directed in Safe Mode but only used The repair choice and clicking on only 1,2, and I think it was 17. I then rebooted which seemed to involve a lot of HD activity, but after it settled down into what appeared to be a normal Win 7 state, I then allowed the free Win 10 install to start, sadly with the same result as previously.

It appears to do a complete download, then goes into install mode, completes this 100% which it shows, then within about 20 seconds  it shows unable to install unknown error 80070005.

Thanks for your offer of trying to help much appreciated. If we succeed I,ll buy the pro version of your software, not that I would use it without a lot of help.
OK thanks again.

Kentel.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:18:25 pm »
Do you know if you have any nvidia drivers installed?

If it is a store bought machine, then what model is it and I can go look up the specs and see if it has nvidia on it. There have been a lot of problems with nvidia and windows 10, so I want to check and see if that is the problem :-)

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »
No not store bought I have been assembling PCs for many years so it is self build.
It does have nVidia, plus all the bits and bobs 3D etc. As I am keen photographer video, and 3D.

Amd Phenom cpu Quad 8 Gb mem. 4 HDs, Cisco Router.

What ever you need to know I can tell you, but working on the O/S I am almost in the dark.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 01:38:28 pm »
Then what I would do is uninstall all the nvidia drivers you can that you dont absolutely need.

What ones would you need? Well if your network card is nvidia you will want to keep the network drivers so you can download of course, and if you have raid driver or something that is required for windows to even boot. Everything else can go.

You can also see if nvidia has updated drivers, but I found it better to uninstall the current drivers, install 10 and then update nvidia drivers. That way you know the drivers get installed correctly.

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »
Hi Shane

That sounds very promising, do you have any special instructions before I remove/uninstall all the nVidia drivers and software. I will add that I always like to take safe precautions,  so I do have a very recent image BU of my sys partition, so can always revert.

Cheers

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:50:17 pm »
I would download the current drivers and save the setup just in case you uninstall the network card drivers by accident and cant get back online, then you will be able to reinstall the drivers.

Other than that do a normal backup just in case and good luck :-)

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »
OK Shane, thanks for your time. Will do that right now, but probably will reply to you tomorrow, due to time difference, it may be to late for me to reply tonight  from here.

Good Health and Thanks.

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
Just a quickie, uninstalled all nVidia drivers, BUT each time I had to restart, and each time Windows reinstalled the nVidia drivers. I tried to stop it from this, but found it impossible, there must be a way but I don't know how.

So tried one more Win 10 install, with same result and error 80070005.

I'm off now till tomorrow, bed is calling.

Cheers.

KenTel.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 04:20:31 pm »
Probably one for tomorrow now, but does the media creation tool work in Safe Mode with Networking to download so that you could make a bootable disk to try the upgrade that way ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
80070005 means permission denied. Make sure the account you are on has admin rights, what might be a good idea is to create a new user account as admin and try from there as well.

Also when you removed the nvidia drivers did you do it from the control panel and add/remove programs?

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:52:11 am »
Yes, I used my Admin account, also Control Panel add/remove.

Will run through it again. But don't expect any miracle yet!

I do run an external USB memory cache add/on (64Gb), as I found this to improve performance, and it runs out of sight, so had forgotten it.
been running without fault for over a year. Will remove it see if that might help.?

KenTel

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:54 am »
To be honest, anything and everything that you can uninstall that you can put back on after the upgrade will make things go better. The less Windows has to try and move over for the upgrade, the better chance it will have of doing it :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 01:23:04 am »
With the 80070005 error, some have had success after activating the hidden admin account and logging in with that, but it hasn't been a one size fits all.

To activate the hidden admin account, run a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter net user administrator /active:yes

Enter exit to close the cmd prompt then reboot where you will see the Administrator icon on the desktop to log in with.

When done, turn off the hidden account by using active:no as that account should not be used full time for security reasons and just for troubleshooting.

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 07:24:53 am »
Hi Boggin,

I am trying last suggestion re admin, and 10 has been trying to download now for over an hour  up to 30% so far. I missed your previous post and have been unable to make the MediaCreationTool open/run.

On an old Laptop at present, perhaps I can get it on here, and transfer to a USB card.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
I guess it can take as long as it takes as long as it's successful and attempting to create install media from the ISO to load onto another machine has been a final solution for some - but you still need to get it to download.

I can't remember how long mine took - seems an age ago :)

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 11:43:35 am »
Sadly after over 5 hrs. the finish came with the previous warning unable to install error 80070005.
And my attempts to download MediaCreation were successful, but it would not run as with my Desk Top.

I think I will give up on this upgrade for the present time, and try again in a few months time.
Might get lucky then.

Only problem now is how to clean the upgrading software from my PC, I've tried but each time I reboot it returns.

Any way thanks to Shane and Boggin for their time and endeavours, sorry now to have imposed my problems upon your good selves.

Many Thanks to all.

Ken.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 11:54:54 am »
What would be better to do is to get a hold of the ISO of the windows 10 and then use a usb creation tool and put it on usb, then in windows, run the setup from the usb and let the upgrade happen there instead of through windows updates.

The media creation tool should have done that for you, did you have it go to a usb and then run from the usb?

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »
The Media Creation Tool would not run. I did all my usual things after downloading setting it to run under administrator having unblocked it previous.
But nothing happens, I am trying to run it from the O/S Partition as one would most exe files. So are you saying the MCT.exe software should be on an exterior USB. I thought it was supposed to produce the Win10 iso and save the iso to a USB. Am I wrong?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 12:39:08 pm »
Ok then what you need to do is download the iso directly.

There is a trick to getting the iso, microsofts site, when it sees you are on windows makes you use the media creation tool, but if it thinks you are not on windows it will give you iso download links instead.

Here is how you can fool it so you can get the iso directly
http://www.askvg.com/tip-get-direct-download-links-of-windows-10-iso-from-microsoft/

Note, from the looks of it there is a 2nd site where you can get the iso without having to do the trick.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Then once you have iso you can use the rufus tool to make a bootable USB from the iso
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Then once it is on the usb, dont boot off the usb, instead run the setup from it while in windows.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »
So are you saying that you had a successful download on the desktop ?

@ Shane - Have those damaged Packages as from the opening post been fixed now so that they won't interfere with updates ?

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 03:01:10 pm »
OK Shane did all that but tried to install, puts a Blue box on screen with one large word, "WINDOWS", and that is as far as it goes. Well the box disappears and back to my normal Desk Top screen, and the Task Manager shows no activity.

Boggin I had a successful?? download of MCT but it doesn't run, have downloaded about five copies all with same result and all same size file = 19,188 Kb.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:05:49 pm by TelKen »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 06:32:23 am »
That windows logo can stay up for a while depending. It will make a $windows. bt folder on the root of your c: drive. In there will be the logs of any trouble it is having, could give use some insight to why it is being a pain in the butt lol

Shane

Offline TelKen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 08:43:17 am »
OK Shane I'll check that out. Meantime I found this on the internet after doing some searching, apparently it came from Microsoft.

“Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = “AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.” (Source: microsoft)