Author Topic: (SOLVED) Registry Backup incomplete under SYSTEM account  (Read 8064 times)

Offline stof

• View Profile
(SOLVED) Registry Backup incomplete under SYSTEM account
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:29:49 am »
On my W10Pro system, if I choose to let the program run scheduled under the SYSTEM account, the user part of the registry backup ends up (almost) empty.
Only when run under the current user account results are as expected.
Before I upgraded the OS from W8.1Pro all was OK. Upgraded the tool from 2.x to 3.1.0 but that didn't help.

Currently running the task as the current user to work around the issue, although that requires login.

As an aside: configuring a task for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000 is not supported under Windows 10, it seems, if that task is to run under the SYSTEM account. I found that out by editing the task in Task Scheduler and upon selecting the SYSTEM account, getting the message "Running a task under a group user account is supported only on Windows Vista or later. To run a task under a group account, you must upgrade this task to a Windows Vista task."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:23:39 pm by stof »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup incomplete under SYSTEM account
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:32:33 am »
That that is interesting. While I have 10 in vmware and a couple of devices in the house I am sticking with 7 on my machine, for a LOT of reasons and so I havent played with 10 to deeply.

I wonder if they changed something, but not sure why the system account couldnt access the files.

I did just update the registry backup to v3.2.0, turns out that while I was working on repairs for it I found they added yet another registry hive file called drivers. So I updated the registry backup to get it as well :-)

As for your problem can you post the backup logs from those for me?

Shane

Offline stof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:35:17 am »
Thanks Shane. Log showing file in use errors attached.

The dos_restore.cmd file is empty so not sure why it would be created in case of this type of error.

Offline userinit999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »
When using the stand-alone Registry Backup program in Windows 10, I noticed that the 'dos_restore.cmd' file inside the backup folder is completely blank. However, this is not the case when backing up the registry in Windows Vista or 7, I noticed that the 'dos_restore.cmd' files in the Vista, 7 backups are not blank and are full of command line restore instructions.

Is the blank file by design or is this a Windows 10 bug?

Thank you.

Offline stof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 01:14:48 pm »
When using the stand-alone Registry Backup program in Windows 10, I noticed that the 'dos_restore.cmd' file inside the backup folder is completely blank. However, this is not the case when backing up the registry in Windows Vista or 7, I noticed that the 'dos_restore.cmd' files in the Vista, 7 backups are not blank and are full of command line restore instructions.

Is the blank file by design or is this a Windows 10 bug?

Thank you.
Mine are only empty if the backup ran under the SYSTEM account. Under the current user account there's plenty of instructions for restoring inside the cmd file.
So no, obviously they're not empty by design.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »
cmd file shouldnt be empty and I will get that fixed, it is a simple variable of if os version >= 6.0 then write the file, but it isnt liking the formatting of how I am checking that and so isnt passing.

I will get that fixed. I will also speed time and go through and redo the code to handle the profiles being on a different drive or path batter as well and have an update out next week.

Shane

Offline stof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:22:41 pm »
Thanks for the quick update, Shane. Just ran v3.2.1 scheduled under the SYSTEM account and all seems perfect.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: (SOLVED) Registry Backup incomplete under SYSTEM account
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »
Awesome :-)

Shane