Author Topic: Can I specify a Registry Backup Restore Point name?  (Read 6900 times)

Offline eltiburon

• View Profile
Can I specify a Registry Backup Restore Point name?
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »
Hi Shane, This is a wonderful product!

I regularly use the Win7 Backup/Restore (SystemPropertiesProtection.exe) to manually create a restore point before downloading and installing any programs. The Win7 backup allows me to name the newly created restore point. For my purposes and for ease of restoration, I always use the format "B4<downloaded filename>". The Win7 Backup/Restore utility automatically appends the date and time to each backup I create. When I wish to restore my system to a previous backup point, a descriptive list with my assigned registry backup names and associated time/date are presented in a top down array. The backup description allows me to conveniently choose the correct restore point without having to remember what time/date stamp correlation I require to get my system back to a previous "secure" point. This is quite useful when I download and install various applications in the same day.

So, after all of this, I was wondering if this backup registry naming convention exists in your application; and if not, would it be feasible to implement with your current design?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can I specify a Registry Backup Restore Point name?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
Not a bad idea :-)

Right now the program stores a text file with the backup that has the system name and OS info. I could use this text file to store a name for the backup without having to change much.

Let me see what I can come up with :-)

Shane

Offline eltiburon

• View Profile
Re: Can I specify a Registry Backup Restore Point name?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:01:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply Shane. I hope you'll be able to capture and store the entered Registry Backup Restore Point name. FYI - my longest Registry Backup Restore Point name in Win7 is 25 characters (excluding the time/date stamp).

eltiburon

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile