Main Forum > General Computer Support

Windows 10 Upgrade fails every time and using all methods

<< < (2/2)

elw:
Hi JHapperson: Did what you suggested (in fact have tried both on numerous previous occasions) but still no luck.  Also read a suggestion today:

1: Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateOSUpgrade]
2: Within the key, you’ll need to create a new 32-bit DWORD with the name AllowOSUpgrade and set its value to 0x00000001.
Once you’re done editing the registry, exit the editor and open up the Control Panel. Navigate to Windows Update and press the Check for Updates button. If you edited the keys correctly, you will now see the update; press the Get Started button to start the upgrade process.

After doing this Windows Update says "Upgrade to Windows 10" but this also failed with an error code C190011F.  Also there are two other previous "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - Failed" with error codes 80070652 and 80246010.  Confusing why there are three different error codes.

Could it be that my computer is not yet compatible to be upgraded? I have updated the BIOS and also drivers.  There has to be a reason out there somewhere but what is it?  Anyone else having the same problem or have found a solution?

Erik

jrny2k:
I don't have an answer, but I am having a similar (same?) issue. When you get the "Modern Setup Host has stopped working", go into computer management and take a look at the most recent application error. Mine always looks something like:

Faulting application name: SetupHost.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f385f
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x545055fe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000017be
Faulting process id: 0x2a34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e1b58ce8db4b
Faulting application path: C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\SetupHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: 7f1ed623-4da9-11e5-8306-08002700307d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

BTW, how did you get a hold of a MS human, I haven't yet?

elw:
Hi jrny2k,

I too have the same (similar) error but what does this mean and how foes one 'fix' the error.  Went to the website help (via Computer Management) but there was nothing specific for msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415.  Can anyone out there shed any light on the matter?

Thanks,

Erik

PS: I have been able to get help form Micosoft Answer Desk (four times in fact) via their 'chat line' and remote computer access service and am now awaiting a call back from a level two tech (they did ring back but very early in the morning before I was out of bed).  Hoping to hear back from them today.  Will keep you posted.

My computer manufacturer wasn't too helpful insisting that I use the Media Creation tool (which I explained twice that I had already tried that method) to download an ISO file which I have mounted/burned to a USB and DVD respectively but neither work.

feh50:
I have the same problem, i posted another incident but it appears all are related. The first problem i notice is the Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976978), will not install; this update has tried and failed over a 3 month period and i have tried many "fixes" to no avail. I mistakenly thought i could bypass this problem by installing win 10 (pro version) but install stops with the "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" i have tried clean boot, run the tweaking from safe mode (all many times). I tried to do a refresh but says volume is locked. So no progress whatsoever

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version