Author Topic: Unable to create Restore Points  (Read 87027 times)

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
Re: Unable to create Restore Points
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
I've included the file. Get the impression it doesn't tell us much, or am I wrong?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2015, 03:14:11 pm »
showed me it ran the permissions  :cheesy: hmmm now lets see im wondering if you change the size of your shadow copy
Code: [Select]
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=10%
Julian

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2015, 03:19:43 pm »
Done.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 03:21:28 pm »
create a restore point. i feel like by the time i have this fixed ill know how to speak dutch lol...
Julian

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2015, 03:34:26 pm »
Again no luck... same 0x8004231f error keeps coming back up.
P.S. I'm created the restore point using Windows itself; should I use restore point creator instead?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:55 pm »
try it out let me know
Julian

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
No luck. see error message.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »
that would be malware....need to clean up your computer what program did you use to fix your system restore in the first post you made. i would recommend uninstalling that program.
Julian

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2015, 05:40:25 pm »
I believe there was a program called Single Click Restore Point, that I tried after Windows itself couldn't create restore points anymore. A few days later I came across Tweaking.com and Create Restore Point. I uninstalled Single Click Restore Point. As suggsted I ran malware bytes the other day and nothing came up except for the ..Spigot.. issues in some of my browsers. Could it be that there's some remnants from Single Click Restore Point that mess with everything?

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2015, 05:54:56 pm »
Need to logout and get some sleep :smiley: Please advise what else I can try..I'll check in again tomorrow (for me that's later today:) :smiley:

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »
Yeah run malware bytes and run adwcleaner
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:48 am »
I don't know if you've done this with MBAM but for it to remove PuPs and PuMs you need to go into Settings/Detection and Protection and use the dropdowns to change to treat these as malware.

I favour AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool but neither MBAM or those two may see remnants of Single Click as unwanted.

The link for JRT is lower down the AdwCleaner page. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

As Windows Uninstall always leaves remnants, you may be better off reinstalling Single Click then use an Uninstaller program like IObit Uninstaller which has a deep clean facility to remove all remnants which will then eliminate that as a possible cause, should you think it could have some bearing.

http://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

When the actual blue IObit window comes up with Run which has the small EULA check box, ensure you uncheck the box to the right of it to exclude the installation of Advanced System Care.

I normally download this from MajorGeeks but they only have the v5.0 Beta.

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:21 am »
Thanks Julian and Boggin!

I've downloaded the various programs and will run them when I get home. I'll let you know the results.

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »
Guys,  hmmmmmm.... performed a bunch of your suggestions.
1. Reinstalled Single Click Restore Point...couldn't make it install (see image error 1)
2. Installed IOBit which couldn't find anything regarding Single Click Restore Point
3. Installed Junkware Removal Tool...Ran the program but it came up with the same error when trying to create a restore point (see image error 2): 0x8004231f
4. Installed AdwCleaner...came up with logs for folders, files, browsers, etc. I assume you like to see the logs and help me figure them out?

Please advise.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »
I was wanting you to reinstall Single Click from source and not try reinstate it from a restore point.

Prior to executing a chosen restore point, when you click on Scan on for affected programs, it would normally tell you that you may have to reinstall some for them to work.

I forgot about JRT creating a restore point first - sorry.

AdwCleaner is pretty trustworthy when it comes to removing stuff it lists in its report, but if it listed anything in the lower pane after the scan - anything of that you can uncheck so that it doesn't remove it and its report should reflect those items being deselected - but yes, post its report.

Did MBAM find anything ?

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
Hello Boggin. I did install Single Click Restore from source. Can't get it to properly install. The error keeps poppin' up.
What's your second sentence referring to..scan on for affected programs...would that be an option in Restore Point Creator?
I will post the AdwCleaner posts along with the findings from MBAM...probably takes a little while.   

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
OK...here are the results. First MBAM..only 2 threats (browser related) (see first image)
2nd is AdwCleaner log....tell me what you see please

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:25 pm »
Yes, the Scan for affected programs is a box you would check before deciding which restore point to use so as to see what won't be kept or which programs that would be part restored, but would need to reinstalled for them to be fully functional.

Did MBAM remove Spigot as I would have expected to have seen it in the AdwCleaner report ?

Without going back through the thread, I don't know if Julian has already posted this Spigot removal help link, but disregard the use of HitmanPro as that is a paid for program. http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/spigot-pup-optional-spigot-removal-guide/

A program that I've come across recently which found an item that AdwCleaner didn't, is https://www.avast.com/browser-cleanup and is why I like to compliment AdwCleaner with a scan with JRT afterwards.

AdwCleaner will be doing you a favour by removing AVG Secure Search as that has often stopped a browser from working.

If you want DriverToolkit back after the cleaning then you will need to reinstall it, but I've found these type of programs are best used just as a guide to see what is available to update and not what you need to update.

If everything is working fine, then stay with the drivers you have.

It's possible that you picked up Spigot with either the DriverToolkit program or whatever that ParetoLogic one is - I've never liked that name but can't remember why.

What program does ParetoLogic refer to - it isn't a tune up program, is it ?

While AdwCleaner has identified keys on my system that it didn't fully identify for me to understand, I've allowed it to go ahead and remove, as it has always been a trustworthy program.

What error are you getting when trying to install Single Click ?

Have you tried its install while in Safe Mode with Networking should it be something on your computer that is disrupting its reinstall ?

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »
Ok, here we go:
MBAM removed the Spigot
I'll have AVG secure search removed
Driver toolkit seems indeed nice as a guide. Often programs like that don't even install the latest drivers and cuase problems; so I'll remove it.
Pareto Logic in this case is the program Xoftspy antivirus. Must admit I had it when I ran XP on an old computer. Since there are bettrer programs out there I'll uninstall/delete it as well
Finally the error with Single Click Restore Point is just that small image (image error one) after starting the program. I'll try to re-install in safe mode and see what it does...I did get it to work once, but I guess various restore point programs conflict with each other.
I'll get back with some more feedback.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2015, 04:53:20 pm »
I wouldn't have expected AdwCleaner to snag an AV program as a PuP.

It may have fully uninstalled it for you but check to see if it has a folder in All Programs and that it includes an Uninstaller as AV program remnants can cause problems when you install a different one.

How did you end up with AVG Secure Search if you've been using that AV program ?

Run that Avast Browser Tool as a final check for your browsers.

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »
No idea how AVG was installed...probably came packaged with another program.
Ran Avast Browser cleanup and got rid of Wondershare Video Converter, Bigiet toolbar button, Contribute toolbar, iSkysoft video converter.
Will try to reinstall Single Click Restore Point in safe mode and see what happens

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2015, 05:59:12 pm »
help! Im now stuck in safe mode and can't get windows to start properly. please advise!

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:36 pm »
OK,  I think i'm back. did a restore using tweaking windows repair. It seems the more you fool around the worse it gets. need to get some sleep. hopefully you guys have some more suggestions tomorrow. Thanks sofar!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2015, 01:55:00 am »
How did you boot up into Safe Mode in the first place ?

To revert to a normal boot from Safe Mode other than Safe Mode with Command Prompt, from Start type msconfig and press enter, then under the Boot tab uncheck any of the lower boxes under Safe Mode then uncheck the Safe Mode box.

To revert from Safe Mode with Command Prompt, enter shutdown /r

From what Avast found, it sounds like you've picked up a lot of crap along the way - don't you ever look for check boxes that will include unwanted bundled software before hitting the Next or Install button ?

Offline Journstyx

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2015, 07:40:02 am »
I went into safe mode through Windows Repair then tried to install Single Click Restore Point (which failed and gave the same error). Will load that screenshot later today. It seems this program messed with the settings. I decided after this to shut down the machine. Restarting it,  immediately went into safe mode. I tried several times shutting down completely and restart but the safe mode kept coming up. I then tried 'Last known good configuration' but again to no avail. Eventually I thought of the backup in Windows repair. That worked.
As to the rubbish Avast found: I'm usually careful as to what I download and install and always check for boxes that can be checked/unchecked, but apparently picked up quite a few bits and pieces.