Author Topic: Unable to Create Restore Point  (Read 5561 times)

Offline PeterPotus

• View Profile
Unable to Create Restore Point
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:53:11 pm »
Windows Vista - 2.99 Meg RAM- MSI Laptop - Pentium 2 Dual T2410 2.0GHz
Yesterday I had a problem of Free Disc Space mysteriously disappearing.
So I bought Windows Repair Pro and ran it in Safe Mode. I ran only 13 of the repair items as recommended by Spybot.
Now I still have my original problem but I cannot work around it as I can no longer create a restore point and therefore cannot do a Disc Cleanup which I have been doing every few days for weeks.
Having bought the Pro edition I selected the 2 options to run after I did the 2nd Repair run.
The Pro Disc Cleanup inclusion promises a lot but I can't actually get it to do anything.
When I emailed Shane he said to do a full repair in safe mode. Sect 5 will not NOW create a restore point so that is not an option.
Finally I gave up and did a restore of the registry back-up but I still cant create a restore point or do a disc cleanup.
Yesterday I ran ComboFix but its log does not say if it was able to create a restore point. Anyway, I still have my old and new problems.
I need help please. (Sorry I put my first post in the wrong place. Newbie confusion!)
Regards

Offline PeterPotus

• View Profile
Re: Unable to Create Restore Point
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:06 am »
Don't worry fellas. The losing free disc space was caused by some damaged clusters triggering auto back-up attempts.
Surprising that chkdsk did not report the problem.
The other problems which started straight after windows repair ran will live on in this computer while I buy a new one.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to Create Restore Point
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »
hmmmm if you want you can type in this in an administrative command prompts
Code: [Select]
vssadmin delete shadows /for=C: /all that will delete all restore points

but before you do that try this first so you can view how much space it's taking up on your hdd
Code: [Select]
vssadmin list shadowstorage
Julian