Author Topic: the tweaking program for windows fixes window search, but it only stays minutes  (Read 9191 times)

Offline theresa

• View Profile
the tweaking one for windows seems to fix many things. it definitely fixes my window search, but does not stay fix very long at all. so i just run it through all 21 things to be fixed, then works again very briefly. i am restarting it as soon as is fixed. can you please help me. please if possible keep it simple as i'm not the best with computers. thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
The Windows search is a service.

Sounds like either the service is crashing or something keeps stopping it.

What version of Windows are you on?

Shane

Offline theresa

• View Profile
thank you shane and others, i think my windows search is failing or crashing, hopefully i can fix it. i have xp professional windows

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok a list of things to start off with first :-)

1. Run this program and then reboot
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/disk_error_checking_at_next_boot.html

Let it finish checking the hard drive.

2. If the search is still crashing lets make sure you have all the Windows updates (If you need help let me know)

3. Right click on my computer and right click on properties.
At the top it will show you the Windows version and what service pack you have installed. What service pack does it say?

Shane

Offline theresa

• View Profile
I down loaded and ran the program you recommended.  then I ran the window tweak one,same old same,it worked very short time. when i was running tweak window one, I could not do system file check as I do not have the windows cd necessary to do.  my windows are xp professional service pkg. 3  oh my disks are not always consistent. thank you for your prompt help, and that i can actually understand what you are saying

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No need to run the windows repair program, it wont change anything till we find out why search is crashing :wink:

Do you know how to check the system event viewer?

Shane

Offline theresa

• View Profile
I  have no idea how to check event viewer, or even what it does. I did discover that if i ran the disk thing. then ran windows tweak, then disk thing again, that window research stayed working for  a fair amount longer. thanks for your help and knowledge

Offline theresa

• View Profile
Help,I got an email notice basically telling me to check out site, Shane was helping. great except this time i could not find anything new from Shane I looked at same spot as usual to get my answers, i looked even at new spots but could not find new advice. I looked and looked again.     theresa

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was gone all day fixing 26 computers for a customer of mine. SO I havent had time to respond to you yet :wink:

Here is how to get tot he event viewer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Lets take a look there. See if you have any errors and let me know what you find :-)

Shane