Author Topic: (Solved) Managing partitions of the internal HD  (Read 45431 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Managing partitions of the internal HD
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:56 am »
While you say there's no rush for Shane to look at the Dynamic disks, he hasn't forgotten about you, it's just been the pressure of his computer business that has stopped him getting back to the forum.

If you ever intend to upgrade to Win 10, from that article, Win 10 won't be able to read dynamic disks so you would have to convert them, but if you are unsure how to proceed - wait until Shane gets back to you.

You don't use a defragmenter on SSDs as there's nothing mechanical on them, so turn Windows schedule off - I only defrag my HDD once a month if over 2% fragmented as over defragging can take its toll on a HDD so have never known why Windows has that default set to weekly.

However, you can get Hybrid SSDs where part of it is mechanical and Windows just defrags that bit.

Win 7 has something called TRIM to auto look after SSDs and this article will tell you how to check if it is enabled and how to enable it if not.

http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-7-windows-8-1/

I've never heard of Wise Clean, but it still puts the onus on the user as to whether to delete such files and knowing if they should be deleted.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:46:40 am by Boggin »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 09:32:58 am »
Thank you, Boggin, that's very informative. I knew about the SSD, I gather from the status window of the defrag scheduler that W7 did not defrag my SSD. (I did  :shocked:  before I knew this, with Wise Disk Cleaner. I changed to O&O Defrag because it gives a warning when you try.) And my TRIM is enabled. Great tip!

Just read an article on a Dutch IT site stating that you should defrag daily if you use the pc intensively. See, that's why I turned to you guys. The internet states so many different views. Very confusing.

We'll wait for Shane. I know it's because of his busy schedule. I'm cool.  :artist:

Do tell me if I ask too many questions. It's precisely the confusion on the net that I keep having them.

Have a nice evening!  :cheesy:
To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 10:01:37 am »
I only get about 2% fragmentation a month and I'm on my laptop constantly.

From a recent Google about over defragging, it looks like I may have read an article that described the thrashing about when you defrag, but you would get equal thrashing when it has to look for bits in a fragmented drive.

I don't always defrag if the Analyse is small.

I've had this machine since Dec.2011 and while 5 - 6yrs is reckoned to be an average life span of a HDD, HD Sentinel gives this one a pretty decent bill of health.

BTW - Can you see the Applaud and Smite buttons in my profile as they are missing for me and I've seen the same for other users.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:03:26 am by Boggin »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 10:15:47 am »
Good for you that you have such a healthy HD! 100%, wow! I'm going to do the HD Sentinel check tomorrow, see how I have been doing in two years. :)

Yes, that sounds perfectly logical to me, to only defrag when the analysis is over 2%.

I can see your applaud and smite buttons just fine. Cannot see mine, so my educated guess would be that you cannot see them because you may not give yourself karma points all the time, hahaha.

Does a smite take one karma point off??

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 10:21:38 am »
I can see yours fine, but not for some other members.

I've contacted Shane about this as well as not getting email notifications, but he's that busy of late, he's probably forgotten about it :)

I suppose a Smite could take one off but it may also show it as something else - how else would anyone know that someone disapproved of a post.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 10:39:01 am »
Good point.

Let's try it out. I'll smite you now. If it takes a karma point off, I'll applaud you to give it back.  :cheesy:

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 10:42:05 am »
Yep, it took one off.  :cheesy: See nothing else happening.

I'll give it back now. You definitely don't deserve to be smitten!

Maybe it has secretly been reported to Shane....

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 10:43:25 am »
Hey, you went from 41 to 43 with my applaud!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:07 pm »
Yes, it's done the same with yours - ah well....:)

I suppose now we know how to show we are really grateful :D

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 01:51:58 pm »
 :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2015, 12:44:18 am »
Sorry for the late reply, I have been slammed with computer repair customers and I still have multiple to get to this week as well!

I havent done the research yet for the dynamic disks, but to be honest, if the drive is working fine I wouldnt worry about it.

Yesterday I was on my laptop, deleting files and copying new versions of the files from a USB stick onto the laptop and all of a sudden the mouse led a life on its own and it looked like the laptop got all crazy for half a minute, changing the layout of Windows Explorer. Then it stopped. A few files were moved about. What was that?? Is that normal? I thought it was in tiptop shape? :( Shane, to inform you: me and Boggin fixed the laptop so well that the sfc scan came out 100% clean and I did Windows Repair and all.

What do you mean exactly? Was the screen changing size? Or was the window you had open simply resizing?

If it was the whole screen changing size, this happens when the video driver is being updated or it crashed and restarted, the driver that is, not windows, sometimes a driver can crash without killing windows and windows will restart it. It also happens when installing a new driver and Windows is loading it.

If it wasnt the whole screen but instead the window that was open that was resizing, I have had customers who had the shift key stuck down, or some other key, and because of that it caused a lot of odd things that made them worry.

For my customer she couldnt understand why everything she clicked on selected everything, and so on. Turns out for her, her batteries in her wireless keyboard where really low and for some odd reason Windows thought the shift key was still being pressed, in fact even sticky keys popped open (Which you do when you hit shift 5 times in a row)

So you can see how something as simple as a stuck key can cause odd things, because there is a lot of combo key + mouse that Windows can do.

Shane

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2015, 02:18:43 am »
Thank you, Shane, for taking the time to write all this.

I decided to leave my dynamic discs alone. They don't seem to create any problems. The C: disk with Windows is basic, that's the important thing.

By now I know that Windows can do really odd things indeed. That issue with the laptop was the mouse doing things by itself, I had no control over it anymore. And last week I lost my dictionary files on my laptop (only the uninstall files were there???) Really strange. But then and there I decided to not put any energy and time anymore into minor things that are odd. I just re-installed my dictionaries and blessed the little Window-devils:cheesy:

Last question: the sfc /scannow on my desktop (W7) only came up with some missing sample files like Windows videos which we couldn't repair with SFCFix.exe. As a last servicing, wouldn't it be a good idea to do a Windows Repair and then make a system image backup? I just ran CrystalDiskInfo and the external and internal harddisks are fine and the SSD is 100%. Yay!

Do you think Windows Repair would do only good? If something goes wrong, can I go back with a system restore point?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2015, 03:20:02 am »
Boggin, can I ask the Lenovo Customer Service in Holland for a clean installation cd of W8.1? I mean, that would pose a problem with license keys, wouldn't it? I have a license key and if they send me a cd-rom then I would have two? How should I phrase such a request?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2015, 03:45:51 am »
The disk Lenovo would send would be an OEM Recovery disk which would be a copy of the Recovery partition on your laptop.

There's a section in this article in how to create a Win 8.1 ISO disk, but where did you get the Win 8.1 key from as it was my understanding that with Win 8/8.1 that the key was built in and no longer came on a sticker key.

This article has been updated since I last read it, so read it carefully so as not to end up with a Win 10 disk.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 04:41:11 am »
Thanks, Boggin. I read it quickly and think I can do that.
Don't have time though right now. I'll report back. :)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) Managing partitions of the internal HD
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 04:07:21 am »
Boggin, I put Solved in the thread title. No more managing disk partitions for a while.  :cheesy:

I didn't find time yet to make the W8.1 cd-rom. Would you mind if I asked you small questions here without making a new thread? I find it a bit odd to make a whole new topic about a small issue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:24:38 am by Lady »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Managing partitions of the internal HD
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2015, 06:54:15 am »
Go ahead - I'll help if I can.