Author Topic: My Windows 10 app icons have changed after a repair!  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Daz1967

• View Profile
My Windows 10 app icons have changed after a repair!
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 10240) and have been since mid-July when the RTM was leaked. So far it has been 100% stable if not exactly bug-free. Thankfully most of the issues are mostly just annoyances and I do not regret upgrading to it.

Anyway to cut a long story story, I decided to use Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All-in-One) v3.5.1 to repair an issue with Windows Update, which until today had been working without fault but then decided to keep reinstalling the same Windows Defender definition table update over and over again after failing then me clicking on Retry. Updating from Windows Defender itself resulted in error 0x8007002. After a bit of research and trying various different things including renaming the catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders in the Windows folder, which did not work, I thought before I did a Windows Refresh that I'd have nothing to lose trying the Tweaking.com tool. It did fix a number of parsing errors and incorrect system variables after all.

So I ran the software, choose to reboot into safe mode, as recommended, and let the software run through all of the default repairs. It took about 10-15 minutes then my PC restarted and booted into Windows. Everything appeared exactly as before until I noticed that the Store icon in the taskbar (to the right of the Task View icon) was different. It appeared as a smaller image inside an orange box (orange being the colour from my Windows theme) rather than the larger monochromatic white one prior to doing the repair. It looks ugly and I've found that the Start Menu > All Apps also shows all the icons in boxes and that many of those appear smaller, e.g. the one for the Xbox app which I was using before I ran the repair.

This site here shows what my icon looks like now:  http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-store-task-bar-icon

Mine looks like the one on the left, which according to that site is the old-style icon. Previously the Store icon looked like the one on the right. I upgraded straight to Windows 10 build 10240 from Windows 8.1 Pro so I have never seen those old-style icons until now.

Here is my desktop:

You can clearly see that the Store icon looks strange alongside the Start, Cortana and Task View icons and how the All Apps icons all appear in boxes. I also opened the Xbox app; previously it was a larger white Xbox symbol on a blank background but now it's a smaller image inside a green box!

Here is what my Store icon *used* to look like pre-repair:

Does anyone know why the icons look like this and how to fix it please? I am appreciate that the software fixed my Windows Update/Windows Defender issue but it seems to have another issue in the process unfortunately, albeit a fairly trivial one.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:44:00 am by Daz1967 »

Offline Daz1967

• View Profile
Seems the issue with the incorrect icons is only for the Universal Apps and not the desktop programs and games, etc.

From looking at the file type associations (under Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program) it appears that these use URLs. I opened a few apps and one, the Xbox Avatars app actually still shows the original larger white image in a blank box icon whereas many others don't. I am wondering if somehow the Repair tool has set the wrong associations for Windows 10. I admit I do not have a clue how to fix it and I suspect rebuilding the icon cache won't do anything because these are not normal desktop programs.

Offline Daz1967

• View Profile
The issue is now fixed, thank goodness.

I tried restoring a system checkpoint to before I did the repair but it failed (possibly because too many changes had been made). Anyway, I opened up an elevated Powershell (*not* in safe mode) and entered the following:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

This, I believe, reinstalls ALL the universal apps and once it reached the Store I saw the icon in the taskbar change back to the original one.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else who has the same issue as myself and if it is a bug in the software (maybe it's not a good idea to do certain things in safe mode...?) then it can be fixed/worked around in an update.

The software is great as it fixed my Windows Update and Windows Defender issue. :D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I actually have that command in the Repair App Store in Windows Repair v3.5.1 :-)

Shane

Offline Daz1967

• View Profile
Re: My Windows 10 app icons have changed after a repair!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:46:06 am »
Unfortunately, this issue is NOT fixed as the old-style icons (or whatever they are) have just come back today after a couple of days despite me not having done anything except use my computer.

The app reinstall fix does change the icon back during the repair (I used the Tweaking.com option) but after a reboot the old-style icon is back.

Why is this happening? I have never had this issue prior to using the repair tool. :(

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: My Windows 10 app icons have changed after a repair!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:56 pm »
Sorry I was gone on a huge programming session, do you have an update of how things are currently?

Shane