Author Topic: Canon Pixma MP600 printer problem  (Read 17569 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Canon Pixma MP600 printer problem
« on: September 12, 2015, 05:39:39 pm »
Hello all, although not a computer problem I would like feedback of the problem I am experiencing. Yesterday my prints have commenced being printed with a light tinted band approx. 1 cm wide and approx. 1 cm up from the bottom of prints. Although the monitor images do not show such problem I rotated an image 180% therefore printing it upside down and the tinted band appeared on the print in the same position. This points to a printer problem. I always use original inks and high quality gloss paper. I have carried out all the steps regarding deep cleaning cycle and inkjet alignment etc. to no avail. Could the fault be a print head malfunction as the printer is some 5 years old. I have altered the contrast and density of the enclosed scanned example to try and emphasize the fault for easier viewing. Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Pixma MP600 printer problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »
It may or may not be the printer. It is possible it is the printer driver as well.

Best test to do is if you have another computer you can hook and install the printer to and try from there. If it works then you know it is a driver problem on your machine. If it still happens on a different machine then you know it is the printer itself and will need to be fixed or replaced. :wink:

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:12 am »
Hello Shane, printer was purchased when I only had an XP system and when that went u/s I installed the printer onto my current Vista Home Premium system about 3 years ago with no detrimental effects until the problem indicated a few days ago.
Double Drive BU shows the printer driver as DriverVer=10/03/2006, 2.00.4.13 and only indicates links to XP. Googling for updated drivers took me to the Canon site where it indicated an updated driver 1.11 available 2010 for XP and Vista 32 bit.
A Windows Printer Test Page printout shows the Driver version as 12.02, (the OS Driver?) the Environment being Windows NT x86 and that being able to read this printout indicates correct installation of the Canon printer. Should I install Driver 1.11 to replace v2.00.4.13? Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:04:29 am »
While some earlier drivers can work in an upgraded OS as you have found, any driver can go buggy at any time so it would probably best if you did update for your current OS.

I don't know if Vista auto creates a restore point whenever anything new is installed, but when updating drivers it can be prudent to create your own prior to the update.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:21:20 am »
Hello Boggin, I am awaiting a reply from Shane as well. And yes, I always make two restore points before carrying out particular operations, one using the system function and one using Shane's Registry BU as his are saved to an external USB HDD. thanks for your input.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 05:35:47 am »
That's okay - but drivers are always a first consideration to resolve a problem where applicable.

Where something else has been downloaded shortly before a problem occurs, restoring to prior that event can also resolve.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:19:59 pm »
While it shows the driver version as v12 and the driver on the site as v1.11, the driver on the site isnt actually 1.11 but that is the version of the installer itself. Its confusing I know lol

So I downloaded the driver from the site and took a look and looks like the scanner driver version is 12.1.0.0 and the printer driver is showing as 2.00.4.13. At least that what it shows in the inf files.

The part that is odd, all the files still show from 2006, yet this setup was updated in 2009. The only file in the whole thing with a 2009 date is the DelDrv.exe in the driver setup folder.

So what you could do is uninstall the current drivers, reboot and install these. They updated the driver installer for a reason, have it install the drivers and see if it helps at all.

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 01:31:56 am »
Thanks for the info Shane. Do I need to pull down the DelDrv.exe file as well. I have already pulled down the 1.11 file. As I am not experienced in driver updating etc. can you please tell me the correct procedure as I don't want to muck things up.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:45:41 am »
That file is part of the install you downloaded, there is no other files to download :-)

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:37 am »
Thanks Shane, I'll give it a go.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 06:58:56 pm »
Hello Shane, after doing the driver updates a test print with the same 2 pics did not show any banding but the 1 cm wide slightly lighter strip is still there.
Prior to the printing of the Indian coffee pot pics I did a print job of comprising of an A4 white card landscape mode which was folded in half after printing. I printed both sides with a pale blue background with a graphic and text on the front, text on both left and right inside and the back no graphics or text. With automatic duplex printing the first run through printed the background colour on one side and also the graphic and the second run through printed the inside background colour and text. Although there were no banding or lighter strips on the inside and no banding on the front and back there was a lighter strip 5 mm wide running down the length of the front with the graphic on it. This strip was flush with the white border which of course is trimmed off. This was the first indication I was aware of a printout not being error free. In printing this job the side comprising the back and front is printed first with the card edge next to the graphic being still held in the rollers before it is pulled back into the rollers and finally exits with the inside background colour and text printed. The right side of the graphic is situated 12 mm from the white border. I did the first complete run on ordinary 80 gm paper as a test proof and the final on 180 gm card stock and the 5 mm wide lighter strip appeared on both. Initially I was trying to think of the reason for the strip and was it caused by the edge being held before being pulled back in but upon printing the Indian coffee pot pic which resulted in a lighter strip, albeit 1 cm wide, and this with non-duplex printing made me think it was the printer playing up.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:03 am »
I've come across where printing on the other side to a block colour has left a strip because of the way the paper absorbs the ink from one side to the other, or if the paper is damp, but I wouldn't have expected to see this with the 180gm card.

If it had been a dirty roller problem then the strip would be on both sides, but perhaps the machine may need a service.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 02:15:49 am »
Hello Boggin, when printing in duplex or single sheets one after the other, the printer pauses to allow the ink to dry. With the cost of a service it may well be better to hint to my wife that I would like a new printer (A3!) for my 80th. birthday in December and could I reap the benefit of it by getting it now...........

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 02:55:23 am »
It was a thought that given the cost of printers that it would probably be cheaper to buy new than repair, that you may have had a bit of a soft spot for the Canon :)

I just use an Epson SX425W in Win 7.

I think the model when I bought it in 2010 must have been getting on a bit as I had to go online during its installation to download something to make it Win 7 compatible and while I can get drivers for the printer side of things for Win 8.1 - the scanner wouldn't work and I assume this could be the same for Win 10, but as I'm sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future which could outlive me, I'm quite happy with it.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 03:20:04 am »
You are right. I have had a variety of printers over the years and I like the scope and layout of the Canon onscreen layout. My wife has the Canon MP2010. I printed the Indian coffee pot pics on her system without a hitch. I cannot print the job with the background colour, graphic and text though as the design is done using Serif PagePlus 6.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 07:46:47 am »
So, is the Serif PagePlus 6 just an attribute of your printer ?

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 07:54:41 am »
No, it is a standalone DTP program

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 12:21:32 pm »
So why not install your wife's printer onto your computer, or would that cause a conflict and disharmony - or would that put a spanner into the works and you not getting a new printer :D

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »
Her printer has a multi colour cartridge and a black cartridge. Mine has 5 separate cartridges and means I can order what I need and not have to buy a complete set of inks each time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »
Do you need to use Canon's inks for the picture quality or can you get a good print from generic inks ?

My elder son came down a few weeks back to print a copy of a photo and it looked okay on photographic paper using generic inks, but I didn't have anything to compare it with.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »
I always use original Canon inks and can buy them for approx. £9 each. Canon also senses if non-originals have been used as it records the data within the printer so if a service was required they would know of the ink situation even though those who supply non original inks use a re-setter tool to enable the cartridges to be read by the printer. I read quite a few years ago that printers have a bit of circuitry that will render the printer u/s when the circuitry kicks in, probably after about 5 years of use.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 01:21:48 pm »
Is that £9 per cartridge !

I get my generic ones from www.stinkyink.com but had to replace one with an Epson one as the generic one may have dried up and I only had Epson ones left.

They were bought a couple or so years back so they may have had a shelf life, although the Epson ones were bought shortly before the generic ones.

I think the stinkyink ones cost about £18 for two of each - hate to think what Epson are charging these days for a full set but I don't use my printer as often as I used to.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 03:00:46 pm »
Yes, £9 per cartridge. I use JustinkandPaper.com and Inkraider as each do particular colours at a reasonable price. I have never had a bad cartridge hence why I think it is my printer playing up and not the inks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 04:24:09 pm »
Yes, £9 per cartridge. I use JustinkandPaper.com and Inkraider as each do particular colours at a reasonable price. I have never had a bad cartridge hence why I think it is my printer playing up and not the inks.

I don't think it's the cartridges either as you would get the strip all of the time - I was just mentioning a problem I had with a generic one.

I suppose £36 for a set of 4 is pretty reasonable for branded cartridges.

Stinkyink's generic price for mine compared to the Epson branded pack https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/epson/ink-cartridges/epson-stylus-sx425w?ref=dropdowns