Author Topic: Can't boot into normal mode after running Tweaking.com windows repair...  (Read 8610 times)

Offline mjl1297

• View Profile
I'm running Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire laptop and downloaded the Windows Repair program and ran it earlier tonight. Prior to running WR, I ran MalwareBytes and got a clean bill of health. I've used Windows Repair before with excellent results on my Windows 7 desktop and so I was more than a little surprised after running the program per the instructions in safe mode (ran the repair tab a second time after a restart in safe mode as well), the computer now refuses to boot in anything BUT safe mode!

I can't get system restore to work as it appears to just give me an interminably spinning circle on the initialising splash page. I tried LKGC but that of course brings me back to safe mode since it was the last bootup to work. I have not run the Repair Your Computer option yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on?

Offline mjl1297

• View Profile
Re: Can't boot into normal mode after running Tweaking.com windows repair...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:45:33 am »
No one?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »
Hmmm in the settings.ini file where Windows repair is installed all the way to the bottom you will need to add
[Safe Mode]
UndoSafeModeAtNextStart=True

Save the file and open Windows repair then after you have the program completely loaded to the first tab reboot your computer from the start menu. Let me know how it goes.
Julian

Offline mjl1297

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:20:38 pm »
Thanks Julian for replying. After reading a post in another forum by someone with a similar problem, I did basically the same thing through msconfig. The computer was checked to boot into safe mode; I didn't realise booting into safe mode through the WR program would tick that box. When I used the program before I manually booted into safe mode.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:38:46 pm »
Shane was trying to find a way to boot into safe mode easily with one click of a button. It gets hard to explain to a person  how to enter safe mode. But Windows repair should disable the safe mode. If you told it to reboot into safe mode. It would add that part  I told you to add to the settings.ini  and when the program opens in safe mode it will remove the safeboot option.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:34 pm »
That is the only way to get Windows to boot into safe mode. You have to use the boot manager and set the safeboot flag.

That is how msconfig does it and the bcdedit command.

When you tell my program to reboot into safe mode it writes to its settings.ini file that you asked it to. Then when you open windows repair in safe mode it see that setting and then runs the command to remove the safe boot switch.

When you went into safe mode did you ever run Windows repair? I am also going to be redoing the main window in a future update, there is simply to much text on the main window, making it cluttered, so I am going to move the text to a help file. Along with that I will have a lot more info int he help file including the commands and such to make windows stop booting into safe mode :-)

Shane