Author Topic: (Eset online scanner How to use it or will it give auto protection while surfing  (Read 17194 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
                     I am of late tried eset online scanner. Do i have to scan by opening each time the scanner like any other program or will it auto scan, while we are surfing the web pages.
                                    Or should i task schedule it?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:21:59 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The ESET Online Scanner is usually a one time free online scan that I've used and is a manual in depth scan and would normally be uninstalled when done, unless you opted for the 30 day unlimited scan, but I've only ever used the one time scan and the 30 day option is new.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks Boggin.
                                 I will try this one. This is nice rather than opting downloads. Thank you. It is working on IE, and for other browsers download is needed

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It seems less complicated to use IE to download it with and then it will scan the whole of the system.

I usually click on Advanced and check all of the boxes except the Archive one then disable Norton immediately before hitting the Scan button and when complete, check the auto uninstall box.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I also did the same. But why leave out archives, means zip files?. Will not virus or malware attacks zip files?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Scanning the Archives is optional but infections tend to go for system files, your AV program and sometimes the restore points.

Did you click on the info button next to it ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I checked the information . But i hear that zip would also contains virus, if it is there in the Zip. But, when i selected, the scan took too much time and power failure disrupted the scan.
             Next time, i have not checked the zip and the scan found 14 PuP and i deleted those.
                     I want to ask one more question.
                         I thought online scanner means it would once scan your computer and will be there to help you while you are online browsing, showing alerts.
                                     Do you know any software free that would take care of online browsing also. MSE does not alert nor catch those PUPs

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
An antivirus program wouldn't detect a PuP as you have agreed to download it, either by failing to uncheck a box during the installation of a program or something that is hidden in the EULA.

Download.com are notorious for this because many of us don't bother reading the EULA and so they get away with installing crap onto your computer - so avoid their download sites as well as for CNET and Softpedia.

A decent AV program will however, alert you if a site is unsafe to start with but could also be a false positive.

Unchecky is a free program that will alert you to any unwanted bundled programs during the install phase but that doesn't mean you shouldn't remain vigilant also.

http://unchecky.com/

Using ESET to clean out PuPs is a bit like using a bull mel hammer to crack a walnut, although an occasional scan with it can be prudent but it's generally just used when an infection is suspected.

An additional tool to AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool that I've recently come across is the Avast Browser Cleanup Tool.

https://www.avast.com/browser-cleanup

I used this when HitmanPro.Alert - a browser guard kept telling me that IE was compromised but didn't tell me what with and was pushing for me to run a scan with HitmanPro which is a paid for program.

ADW and JRT came up clean but Avast did find something which then stopped the alerts about the browser.

The current version of HitmanPro.Alert is v.3.0 but I found that was putting a yellow alert against the Teredo Tunnelling adapter in Device Manager/View/Show hidden adapters/Network adapters so I reverted to v2.0 - but that is no longer available.

HitmanPro.Alert also includes Crypto Guard, but if you decide to install it then check Device Manager.

HP.Alert used to be a free program but looks like they are charging for it now so I won't include its link.

The Avast clean up tool remains active unless you opt out of that so that may be sufficient.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, thanks boggin. I will download and clean the browser history with this tool.
                                   I mean, while surfing and browsing, is there any tool which will pop up alert. I was using avast av, but i do find it aggressively clean the system.
                                       Or is there any program that it will alert in the links, search page itself.pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
With that Avast browser cleanup tool I think there is a setting to leave it active or not which would continually check your add-ons/extensions, so that should suffice.

I disabled that feature as I use HitmanPro.Alert v2.0 which already does that.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Boggins. Is that a paid or free version . I have once downloaded and used it for more than 30 days. It auto stopped after 30 days. If i download and run i get the alert trail period over . You have to get the pro version by buying.
                            What about mcafee site advisor? I once used . When you browse, the links will show green yellow or red as per its rating like WOT tool.
                                     I discontinued these as it shows the genuine sites also as yellow or red.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HitmanPro.Alert is now a paid for program but the Avast tool isn't - which program do you mean ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hitman pro.
                   I found the avast tool default settings is alerting from background, when one surf. But let me see. When i used the avast free av, it will auto pop and says that some PUP or trojan has been quarantined, when i click a link.
                             I know mcafee site advisor or avast would show green red or amber alerts when you search something on the web itself.
                                        I am now using MSE and having second thoughts of using Avast av because of its resource consumption.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HitmanPro is a paid for antivirus program and HitmanPro.Alert is a paid for browser guard - leave both of them alone.

MSE is really only a basic AV program and even MS advise getting something more robust.

Have a look through these freebies to see if there's anything you fancy, but Avira is usually a decent alternative to Avast, but leave Comodo Free alone as it comes bundled with Privdog.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887632/secure-advertising-tool-privdog-compromises-https-security.html

http://uk.pcmag.com/security-reviews/142/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-for-2015

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Can i use both mse and panda antivirus , given in the review of pc world simultaneously. Or should i uninstall mse and then use panda . Would it not conflict while scanning. Pc world review is one among the best. Ofcourse, Mse is slow in deducting virus malware trojan etc.etc. Will try Panda after getting your advice.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While you can run two av programs together where one doesn't have an active firewall or that component is disabled, it's best not to.

There's a Fixit button in this MS article that will ensure all of MSE will be uninstalled.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2435760

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, By mistake, i processed the fixit button. It disabled the MSE from starting. But i could find the files intact in the c:program files folder.
                      Should i have  uninstalled it and then ran the  fixit? anyhow, i installed panda and hope to get site alerts while browsing. I use mcafee site advisor for colour ratings to choose the site.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would think the Fixit button would have removed it anyway, but how did you disable it ?

If there were still files left after the Fixit then you may have to reinstall it and then first uninstall from Progs & Features before running the Fixit, but don't disable it first.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, There is a fix it which  processed correctly to get rid of those 6 registry entries.
                             I am now using Panda free antivirus, which has cloud computing structure. It has the option to ask before neutralizing the virus , but even when i ticked it, it auto deletes the virus without waiting for users response.
                                  More over it shows some blocked items in numbers. But when i clicked it, it does not show anything about which items got blocked after which link was clicked.
                                           I wrote to their forum and not getting convincing replies.
                                                     The rate of MSE is the last in the link. Naturally it takes much time to scan and did not catch most of the things that eset online scanner does. Even PUPs are left.
                                                            I read in Ask Leo page, that etrust is a good av, but i did not get the real link to the Computer appliance co, which owns it. If you know something about this, i could switch over to etrust and would it allow updates?
http://ask-leo.com/antivirus_software.html

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
From the Customer reviews on http://www.amazon.com/CA-eTrust-EZ-Antivirus-R7/dp/B000AP0H7Q#customerReviews it's a load of crap, so leave it alone.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, OK. I will not try etrust. But what about my points raised in Panda, which does not provide any control to the users.
                                   What is your av ? If it works and if it is free then please give the link so that i could try it.
                                              AVast is integrated with OPen candy a nasty PUP. Please advise.
                                                         Panda does not show, what it is doing , just pop up to say that your computer is protected.
                                                               Their usb vaccine magnificently worked, when virus and trojans were spread by pen drives, particularly recycle virus. It is available as a simple program.
                                                                    Their antivirus is in cloud, you could not see thro the cloud. Is not it?
                                                               Woud you pleass give the customer reaction to panda, as etrust link. thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What's the matter - are your fingers broken :D

You just Google for review of free panda antivirus.

PC Mag seem to like it -

http://uk.pcmag.com/panda-free-antivirus-2015

http://uk.pcmag.com/security-reviews/142/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-for-2015

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, My fingers are intact.
                             I have already seen the link that you have given. But in real use, i came across those situations, where users response are not considered. So, I asked.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
With free programs the reviews are generally from mags or the various comparison sites, whereas for any bought products, Amazon is where I usually go to look for the item and customer reviews and I apply this for whatever product I intend to buy.