Author Topic: Window Repair v1.7.5  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Window Repair v1.7.5
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
1. Suggestion: change the jobcounter text (e.g "1/5" or "5/5") to e.g "5/5, repairs done" the moment all repairs are finished.
2. I noticed that you changed the way the repair option pane works. It no longer blocks the boxes that haven't been selected after the user hits "Start". Did it make the program code too complicated ? The user now can tick extra boxes and let WR do more repair jobs. But then the counter can end up with e.g. "12/5".
3. WR also shows some other odd behaviour. I don't know whether this is related to 2) (above). I did the following:
- ticked a number of boxes.
- clicked on the "Start" button.
- I both ticked and unticked some options in the left hand pane while WR was busy repairing.
- clicked on "Stop"" and then the program says "Stopping .....", finishes the current active job. In normal circumstances WR then would do the following:
  1. the text "You must restart ........" is displayed.
  2. the text on the button "Stop" is changed to "Start".
But neither 1 nor 2 occurs. When I click on the button "Stop" again then a new line "Stopping ..... " shows up in the log pane. And the buttons "Select All", "Unselect all", "Back" are unblocked. See attachment as well.
- hit "Back".
- hit "Start" to go back the main repair window.
- clicked on "Select all"" and "Start". WR started running but it took WR a mere two minutes to complete all it tasks (it took "unhide non system files" the bulk of these two minutes to perform). Problems with "Set path=" again ?
- Restarted WR again and "Select all" and hit "Start" again. But now the repairs do take a significant amount of time to perform. As they should.

Another odd situation is that three buttons can be unblocked (Select all, Unselect all & Stop (previously "Start")) but one button (Back) isn't.

After some more fiddling around and thinking, I think you should you use the following as a guide to improve the program code in WR:
- Why does sometimes WR fail to recognize a "Stop button" event has occurred ? WR displays "Stopping" and unblocks three buttons but it does not call the "you must restart ....." (text) subroutine. Forgot to update a variable ?
- Does WR sometimes fail to execute a "Set Path=" command (at the appropriate place ?) ? Does "Unhide non system files" use a "Set Path=" command ? Or doesn't WR use MSDOS commands for this repair job ? Is this a variable update problem ?
- Which variable(s) does WR write to/read from the *.ini file, which variables are changed/reset when:
  1. the user hits "Start" and enters the main Repair Jobs window ?
  2. the user starts the WR program ?
  Perhaps changing/resetting a number of variables needs te moved from where WR starts to the point where the user enters the main WR repair window ?
- Why the buttons "Select All", "Unselect All", "Back" are unblocked inspite of the "stop" button not being changed to "Start".
- Are between all repair jobs all the appropriate variables checked ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:32:15 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Window Repair v1.7.5
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
Here's another thing that could be improved. When WR is running a number of repair jobs using the MSDOS window (CMD.exe) then in some of those windows it's explicitely stated that "Windows should be restarted in order the changes take effect" or something along those lines. And that's why the user is told at the end of the repair session: "You must restart your computer".

But when WR has performed a number of those tasks and the user clicks on "Stop" then this message doesn't show up. I think WR should either:
1. always display the message "You must restart your computer" or
2. take note whether or not one or more "restart required" repair jobs has been performed. And if WR has performed at least one such a "restart critical" job then the "restart" message/subroutine should be displayed/called.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
1. Tried to discover where WR goes "off the rails" but I failed to reproduce the odd behaviour as described above. Is some other program responsible for "interfering" with WR ? firewall ? Anti virus program ? I came across opnions that blame some anti virus programs for sluggish behaviour.  :confused:

2. WR has a habit of increasing the file cache significantly. Here's how to see that:
- Run Cleanmem.
- disable all file cache cleaning.
- watch the mini monitor while WR runs the "Unhide Non System files" repair job. On my Win 7 laptop the file cache then increases by some 200 Mb.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
The file cache size doesnt surprise me.  :wink:

After all it is accessing a lot of files. And when you access a file it gets added to the cache. You cant help it, it is how Windows handles it.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
I considered it to be interesting, I didn't worry at all.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:25:56 AM »
1. I continue to think that WR should reset/initialize as much as variables (e.g. "Set path=") as possible as soon as the user enters the main WR repair window instead of initializing/resetting those variables upon startup of WR. It's clear that my system currently isn't "too stable" and that would eliminate a lot of hassle. It would put the program and the repair procedure on a much more stable footing. Because then the user can go back to the previous window and regain that stable footing when the user re-enters the main WR repair window.

2. There's one more small thing that can be improved. When the user hasn't selected any repair jobs and the user hits "Start" the program says "You must choose at least one ................", "Repairs stopped by user", "done (......." and the time it took to perform these tasks.
I personally would suggest that WR should display the text ("You must ......") only in this particular case.

3. I also continue to think that you should block any repair jobs that haven't been selected while WR is busy.

(Yes, I know I am picky.)

anything