Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
Windows 10
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
Hi couple of questions

Is Windows 10 better than 7 & 8.1

When is it fully released

Is it free upgrade

Is it better to wait for awhile

Does it take more power to drive e.g more Ram processor

Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »
Win 10 is reckoned to have a lighter footprint than Win 7 - don't know about Win 8.1

While we generally only see those with problems with Win10, there are those that think it's the bees knees, but MS are still working on Edge and updates for Win 10 are coming out in dribs and drabs, although there is a major update planned for November.

With updates being auto, it may be prudent to wait a while to see if MS mess up that, as they don't have the best of records when it comes to updates screwing systems as they aren't always a one size fits all.

I tried it briefly but Cortana didn't recognise I was in the UK and using the English (UK) language and then the Start button froze.

To get out of that, I had to factory reset with an OEM Recovery disk and fortunately, I had the laptop set to permanently check the DVD and USB drives before the HDD as F2 and F12 didn't work to change the boot order.

I then restored with the Win 7 external system image I had created before the upgrade - so ensure you create a full system image before upgrading.

I didn't like Edge and having to log in with a password which I had to after creating a MS account which you have to before you can activate Cortana.

As I was using IE11, I didn't feel there was any advantage doing in Win 10 to what I do in Win 7 - which isn't a lot anyway.

But as they say, YMMV :)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 02:05:51 pm »
Thank you

How long does it normally take before things are ironed out with Windows?

Thanks again

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »
Well - they are still fixing Win 7 with updates..... albeit security updates.

After MS's debacle with Win 8.0 they have to get Win10 right to save what credibility they have left and Win 10 is still causing problems for some.

It is pretty much like some Win 7 updates had drastic consequences for some users but not for others.

I think those with Nvidia graphics had a lot of problems initially, but quite a few have had Start button problems - Cortana problems and MS still seem to be perfecting Edge.

I think those in the know could be waiting for the November update with baited breath to see how much carnage that can cause for some and are going to create an external system image in the run up to it as its release date is still to be determined and as the updates are automatic, unless you've said you are on a metered connection - many will not know the result until after they have installed and hopefully it will be an anti-climax where MS have finally gotten something right.

These updates are already being trialled by the Insiders with the latest build, but installing that has caused problems for some so that update may need to be patched for it even to be trialled.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:26:26 pm by Boggin »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »
Hi thank you

Is 10 still at the Beta stage?

Does 10 go over the existing or do you have to reload all programs back on?

Thanks again

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »
It was billed as the final release but will be updated with a newer build which is due out sometime in November.

While you may have to update or reinstall some programs which the built in upgrade advisor will tell you, the rest are left intact that are compatible with Win 10.

It upgrades your existing version and puts your old version and everything you had previously into a Windows.old folder that will remain on the computer for 30 days, which is the cooling off period and then Windows removes it.

This is why you should create an external system image before upgrading should you change your mind after the 30 day deadline and preferably have created a set of recovery disks if using an OEM machine, should you need to factory reset it before using the system image.

In the run up to its release, MS produced these FAQs which should be of interest.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq

If and when you do decide to go ahead with the upgrade, ensure you use the Custom option as there are a number of what is considered to be spying that you can turn off.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:53:10 pm by Boggin »

Offline RobDownUnder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »
"To get out of that, I had to factory reset with an OEM Recovery disk and fortunately, I had the laptop set to permanently check the DVD and USB drives before the HDD as F2 and F12 didn't work to change the boot order.

I then restored with the Win 7 external system image I had created before the upgrade - so ensure you create a full system image before upgrading."

Boggin,
I am curious why you had to do the factory reset ?
Could you not have just restored your W7 image ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:04 am »
As I said in that post, the Start button froze and was dead so that I wasn't able to go anywhere from it.

Offline RobDownUnder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 12:48:39 am »
As I said in that post, the Start button froze and was dead so that I wasn't able to go anywhere from it.

I never run my imaging software whilst windows is running.
I use software that allows me to create a bootable CD, and I only use that CD for creating/validating/restoring images.
Thus if Windows messes up, no matter, as I connect the external 3.5" drive, and boot into the CD, and Restore the stored image.

I would not presume to "teach my Grandmother to suck eggs", but for the other readers of this post, you can get a free copy of Acronis DiskWizard provided you have either a Seagate or WD drive connected somewhere.
You go to the hard disk's web site and get their free version of DiskWizard -
 http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/discwizard/
You have to install the program into one of your PCs, so that you can run it, and then ask DisKWizard to create a bootable CD.
And from that point on, I never used the installed program, I just boot into the CD (Windows is NOT running) when creating/validating/restoring images.
Rob
PS There is an option when creating the bootable CD, that sets the default to boot into the CD (rather than booting into Windows), if you popped into the kitchen whilst the CD is booting.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:57:47 am »
Being able to change the Boot order is always the problem when just using the tools Windows gives you as you need to boot up with a Repair disk first before you can restore from an external HDD.

That sounds like a handy tool and both my external HDDs are Seagate.