Author Topic: Network advice, should I run my wireless router through my wired router?  (Read 5792 times)

Offline scarsxp

• View Profile
Network advice, should I run my wireless router through my wired router?

I wanted to buy my own cable modem, so I can save money. So I don't have to pay for renting one out. The question is this, the cable modem that I rent out has 4 ports to it. I usually run that through another port instead of my wired router, which also connects to all of my personal computers via ethernet cable.

The only reason I use a wireless router (not always on) is because I use it for my smart phone. The question I have is that I don't like to run it through my wired router, because the theory is if someone ever hacked into my wireless router, I think they can get through my wired router and hack into my wired computers. That's my theory anyways.

Granted my wireless router is secure WPA2. And with random user name and very long password for login. And stuff like that. It's just my paranoia kind of. Don't know if it's true. Unless someone can shed some light on it.

Anyways, I wanted to buy a cable modem with an extra ethernet port. Not just one, but they appear to be expensive. I'm still doing research, mind you.
I found sbg6400, but that's +$120. Not the kind of range that I really want to spend my money on.
So I can buy a cheaper cable modem with only one ethernet port, or I can find a cheaper 2 ethernet port router. Not sure what to do, if anyone has recommendations on the cable modem to buy?
Or is it perfectly alright to just have my wireless router run through my wired router? If anyone has any advice or recommendations. Please let me know.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Network advice, should I run my wireless router through my wired router?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:45:54 pm »
It doesnt matter wireless or wired. They are on the same network, it is just 2 different ways to connecting to the router. Wireless can see wired and wired can see wireless devices just fine.

For my phones and such here at home and the tv I have them hooked to the wireless while I keep all my systems connected to wired, but that is for one reason, speed.

My wired is 1 GB network speeds and so when i am moving files from one machine to another I can go the full speed of my hard drives, where as if i try to do the same over wireless it is only a fraction of the speed. That and wired is way more stable, it doesnt get interference from outside sources like wireless does.

Also rule of thumb is, if you are gaming always do wired. Last thing you want is to be gaming online and have your wireless freak out for a sec because the microwave turned on and you just got your but kicked from high ping lol

Shane

Offline scarsxp

• View Profile
Re: Network advice, should I run my wireless router through my wired router?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:56:20 pm »
It doesnt matter wireless or wired. They are on the same network, it is just 2 different ways to connecting to the router. Wireless can see wired and wired can see wireless devices just fine.

Thanks Shane for getting back to me.

Well, what I mean is that, of course they will still have the same public IP address. (Maybe depending on the ISP)

What I'm talking about is this:

If I have a 4 port cable modem. And if I have a setup like this:

1 router is wired that is connected through the cable modem via port 1.

1 router is wireless that is connected through the cable modem via port 2

Now with this setup, there is no way that a wireless router can see the wired router. Therefore one would assume, if someone got past all the security in the wireless router, there is no way he can get to my wired router and my other wired computers.

Now with this setup like this:

1 wired router connected to the cable modem. Then I have a ethernet cable connecting from the wired router to the wireless router(In it's WAN port). The wireless router is getting it's internet connection from the wired router. Also the wireless router is now part of the network. So if anyone got access to my wireless router and got past the security, and if he could connect to my internal ip address. Then he would have access to my computers on the wired network. In theory, because I do have software firewalls as well.

I'm just wondering if it's a security risk. Because I want to buy a used cable modem. I would have to spend more on 4 port cable modem. I just want to know recommendations, or if this matters.

Although I think I found my answer sort of:

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

Decide between a LAN-to-LAN or LAN-to-WAN connection. A LAN-to-LAN (Local Area Network) connection extends your network size, allowing more devices to connect. Devices can share files and resources to any other device on the network. A LAN-to-WAN (Wide Area Network) connection creates a secondary network (LAN) inside the main network (WAN). This allows you to place restrictions on a subset of devices that are connected to the smaller network. The downside is that they cannot share files or resources with the main network.

Setting up a LAN-to-WAN network allows you to modify the DNS for just the secondary network, affecting what sites can be visited. The secondary network also makes it extra difficult for hackers to access any devices connected. This is great for parents that want to monitor and control their childrens' internet access.

Maybe LAN to WAN is safe, and I don't have to worry about buying a 4 port cable modem. Any suggestions?

Again, I just want one wireless router not to even see the wired router at all! Not sure if it makes much difference.

For my phones and such here at home and the tv I have them hooked to the wireless while I keep all my systems connected to wired, but that is for one reason, speed.

My wired is 1 GB network speeds and so when i am moving files from one machine to another I can go the full speed of my hard drives, where as if i try to do the same over wireless it is only a fraction of the speed. That and wired is way more stable, it doesnt get interference from outside sources like wireless does.

Also rule of thumb is, if you are gaming always do wired. Last thing you want is to be gaming online and have your wireless freak out for a sec because the microwave turned on and you just got your but kicked from high ping lol

But what's the connection setup look like then? Do you have a 4 port cable modem? Or I'm assuming you just have one cable modem that has wireless and wired?
Or you can have the cable modem that has wired, and you run a wired router and a wireless router?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:59:29 pm by scarsxp »