Author Topic: Bitdefender keeps blocking program start  (Read 5687 times)

Offline RobDownUnder

• View Profile
Bitdefender keeps blocking program start
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:23 am »
I notice an old thread with same title, but could not post to that.
I have just installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2015
I got the free for 6 months offer.
(I had to install the 2015 version as they have decided to not support XP in the 2016 version.
(Their advice to me was upgrade my OS, however I have a few old PCs, and networking is much more painful in W7 upwards)

I have a small program that I wrote in VB6 which Avast never had a problem with.
I manually organize my XP Start menu (MS one, but is in classic mode)
I had a shortcut to my program, in the MS startup folder, and BitDefender deleted it.
When I tried to do my manual organize and put the shortcut back, BitDefender would not let me (even when I disable BitDefender).
I noticed  there was a log, so I read the deleting/blocking message, and chose to allow it.
Next Startup of Windows the same things happened.
My program just launches TBird and FFox, and has the ability for me to mouse a label to tell windows to shutdown.
Reading the older thread (same name), Shane (Administrator) changed the compile of his program, to fix his problem.
Actually I had to do the opposite and compile to P-Code
It just let me place a shortcut into the "startup' folder, so that is an improvement.
I have not restarted Windows yet (takes a while), but here's hoping.

Shirley BitDefender should allow us to whitelist a program ? 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Bitdefender keeps blocking program start
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:45:26 am »
All my stuff is VB6 and bitdefnder constantly flags my stuff as a false positive. They do not like VB6 programs.

And even though you told it to turn off bit defender doesnt actually turn off. I noticed a lot of avs are like this. This is the main reason I have the users of my windows repair tool run in safe mode to keep the 3rd party programs from messing with the repairs. Heck, I had a user email me 2 days ago with a screen shot showing karparksy removing the bat files the windows repair made even though they had disabled it.

But almost ever antivirus should have a area in it where you can tell it to ignore certain programs or folders. I doint know where bit defender is as I dont use their program. Every time they false positive one of my programs (Always as a "GEN" type or Generic) I have to send the file to them to get them to remove the false positive.

Shane