Author Topic: Sfc not working  (Read 8558 times)

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
Sfc not working
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
Hello to all,

Been using tweaking.com for over a year now and it´s been keeping my Windows 7 in tip-top shape ever since.

A few months back, for some reason, I lost my scan/sfc. It starts off real good until it gets to 26% and sits there for about 2 minutes...the tells me it cannot finish. Some kind of error but it doesn´t specify. Has this ever happened to anyone? I cannot finish to see my CBS.log

But I did find this:

2015-10-12 18:43:52, Info                  CSI    0000008d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"MSDTC.LOG"
 of Microsoft-Windows-COM-DTC-Runtime, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral,
VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral,
PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:58:49 pm by mecanicogolf, Reason: Ran Sfc/scannow until 26% »
mecanicogolf

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Sfc not working
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:09:37 am »
It is odd when sfc cant even finish. Of course it doesnt exactly give any real good meaning to its errors either lol

The first thing I would do is download and run the windows systems readiness tool from Microsoft, it has a lot of files and updates it replaces if they are missing and a lot of times can fix the odd file system bugs. Not all the time but it does help.

You didnt say if you where 32 or 64 bit, so if you have trouble finding the file let me know and I can get the link for you.

As for the error, "Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"MSDTC.LOG"" that is an odd one because that is a log file, log files get removed and recreated all the time. You could try removing the log file or renaming it and see if it helps. But for sfc to stop on a log file is odd unless the file is corrupt, if you havent yet I would run a chkdsk on the drive as well.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:14:05 am »
Does the command sfc /verifyonly complete ?

That is a read-only cmd without any repairs but would report if there was corruption and can be a lengthy file.

You could try a chkdsk /r to see what that reports and to view it, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When the Event Viewer has read the data, expand Windows Logs then click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the find box and read the report in the scrollable window - making note of any KBs in bad sectors.

When you first go into Event Viewer after it has read the data, you can also check if there is anything recorded in Errors for that corruption.

Click on Errors then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

Are all of your Windows Updates up to date including SP1 ?

It looks like Shane has posted as well - another late one :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:18 am »
3 a.m is late?

I guess the house full of sleeping kids and my wife should have answered that one :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:22:43 am »
Yeah - I reckon that would be a clue :D

Offline Rick

• View Profile

Offline mecanicogolf

• Rehab is where to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:32 pm »
I ran the Readiness Tool and it fixed the problem.

This is what I got after installing readiness tool. (see attach.)

Can I fix this without reinstalling Windows?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:29:10 pm by mecanicogolf, Reason: Forgot info. »
mecanicogolf

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:04:57 am »
I only know;

you have to search and download SFCFIX; I think that will fix those last few errors

the other option is to delete them; maybe one of the guys here can make a program for that, it is a system wide problem anyway!