Author Topic: Corrupt system files  (Read 22156 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Corrupt system files
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 07:11:20 am »
I'll burn the disks this evening then mail them in the morning.

The ISO was originally Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 but I removed the ei.cfg file to make it an universal Win 7 x64 SP1 ISO that covers from Starter to Ultimate.

I still needed to know if it was 32 or 64 bit but the SFCFix.exe log has told me that it is 64 bit.

Just waiting for you to PM me with your address.

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 09:34:24 am »
Dear Boggin, where do I find the place to send a PM?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 10:35:33 am »
Dear Boggin, where do I find the place to send a PM?

<<<<<<< Click on the speech bubble over there.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 12:17:06 am »
Does sfc /scannow still report the corruption after uninstalling IE 11 ?

Normally reinstalling a program usually reinstates corrupt .dlls.

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 05:54:41 pm »
IE does not appear under "programs and features" in the control panel so have not been able to try the uninstall option. Just to say that IE is definitely on my pc though.

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 06:02:33 pm »
Also, IE does not appear under installed updates. The version installed on my PC is 11.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 12:17:32 am »
That's strange - Win 7 comes default with IE 8 and any other versions come as updates.

Can you open IE - click on the Tools cog - About Internet Explorer and check which version you have.

If all of your Windows Updates are up to date and you have IE11, then you should have KB3093983 installed.

It may have that KB number in About Internet Explorer but you can check this by going into Installed Updates and entering KB3093983 in the top right search box.

If you don't have another browser installed, install Firefox, ensuring you look at the check boxes so that it doesn't become your default browser and that you don't want to register it.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

Create a restore point and if you have that KB installed, go back into Installed Updates, enter that KB number back into the search box - right click on it if/when it comes up and select Uninstall.

I can't remember if that requires a reboot to effect, but open IE again then via Tools and About Internet Explorer, check to see which version you have now.

If it's still showing as the base version of IE11 then go Start - type appwiz.cpl - press enter and click on Turn Windows features on or off and check to see if it gives a version for IE or if it just says IE.

If it still lists it as IE11 uncheck its box - OK then direct download IE11 https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

It's essential that you have another working browser before you do this as you will lose all access to the Internet as just re-checking the IE box in features may not reinstate IE.

If it just says Internet Explorer then leave its box checked or if you no longer have IE11 as the version in About Internet Explorer, then direct download IE11.

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 11:12:46 pm »
Good day. Thanks for your further comments. I just want to acknowledge your response; am working through your suggestions and will revert. Sincere thanks.

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 06:18:23 am »
Hi Boggin. I can confirm that I have IE explorer version 11. My Wndows updates not not up to date. It's one of the problems I have - which seems may be related to the corrupt system file. When the updates are in the final stages of installing they suddenly start reversing. What I should mention is that I use Reimage (www.reimage.com) and their technicians tried to fix the corrupt system file a few days ago. In the course of doing so, they apparently reset my Windows Updates (so the technician said). Maybe that's why my PC shows no installed updates but has IE version 11 installed. So regarding the KB you mention, the answer is no I don't have it. I also tried your suggestion of turning off IE 11 in the appwiz.cpl and then trying to install IE11 from the microsoft link you gave. It wouldn't work - got a message that the installed version is newer than the download version. All a huge mystery ...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 06:51:26 am »
Normally when you turn off IE in features, it is the nearest you can get to uninstalling IE as it is part of the OS and is normally a workaround to reinstalling IE.

It's difficult to know just what those techs did so it may be best to wait until you get the install disks.

This is what I have for About Internet Explorer -

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:54:39 am by Boggin »

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 12:25:51 am »
Thank you for your further comments. My version of IE11 is probably a few small updates behind yours. You have 11.0.9600.18059 and I have 11.0.9600.17041. This is most likely because of the updates that won't install. I'm looking forward to getting the disks - most sincere thanks for sending them. I'll let you know when I receive them.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:37 am »
Not sure how long it will take to get them to S. Africa.

I once sent some to someone in Rio and after a couple of months when they still hadn't arrived, which was blamed by the recipient on their bad postal service or theft, I sent another set by registered mail.

They got those after I think was a few weeks and then they finally got the first set via Portugal :D

Hopefully you will have better luck :)

Offline SRoper

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 04:22:31 am »
You hit it on the head ... the postal service .... say no more. Anyhow, we hope for the best. Most sincere thanks