Author Topic: Reparse point repair issue  (Read 5631 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Reparse point repair issue
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
I have a pretty unique issue that I could use some help with.  I had a computer that was a part of a domain, but the domain controller broke down and the server on which the domain controller ran was rebuilt into another domain controller.  Before I did anything, I used Forensit's profile migration tools to Save a copy of my user profile onto an external drive.  I then left the old, no longer working domain by joining a workgroup.  While I was in the workgroup, I used some powerful tools to force delete the user profile folder in "C:\users" (because my user ID on the new domain is the same as the old).  I then joined the new domain, moved the old data folder into the users profile, and used the tools "reprofiler" and forensit's "user profile manager" to rename and assign the domain account to the old backed up profile.  Everything seems to work great, except when I attempt to use Windows AIO repair and open "scan reparse points", the resulting scan indicates a bunch of reparse point errors, basically stating that all of the junctions for the profile need to be associated with the original profile folder (user.domain) rather than the one I assigned to the profile (user).  How does Windows AIO repair scan for "incorrect" reparse points?  Is there a setting I can modify so that Windows AIO repair will stop trying to recreate the old profile folder?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Reparse point repair issue
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:00 am »
Just skip that in the program.

The reason why it is having trouble is because when you made the new profiles you didnt rename the old folders first so since they where already there windows made new folders and then added the computer name or domain name to the end of it. So the program doesnt know to look for that and is why it is getting confused.

So just skip and ignore that part :-)

Shane