Author Topic: Microsoft to Discontinue Old Internet Explorer Versions in January  (Read 8356 times)

Offline Article_86

• View Profile
Now that Microsoft has replaced Internet Explorer with Edge in Windows 10, the company’s exclusively focusing on its new browser, so moving users to this version has become a priority.

Unfortunately for the software giant, it can’t get rid of Internet Explorer overnight, but what it can do is kill off some of the old versions and slowly switch users to newer builds. That’s exactly what the company will be doing on January 12, 2016, when it’s killing support for several old versions of Internet Explorer.
As gHacks notes, a notification on Microsoft’s Lifecycle website calls for users to update their browsers before this date, pointing out that only the latest version on each supported Windows release will continue to receive updates and security patches.
As a result, on Windows Vista SP2, Internet Explorer must be updated to version 9, while on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, Internet Explorer 11 is the currently-supported build. [ripped-off from labeeman @ tenforums.com]  - Art  And the hits just keep on coming!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away...
- Hughes Mearns

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft to Discontinue Old Internet Explorer Versions in January
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:01:04 am »
They will stop making updates for IE and stop supporting it BUT IE will still be on the OS and will keep running like it has. I hate IE but the reason they have to keep it is because of the amount of programs built to work with it, a lot of them in the corp world and it is no easy task for a lot of these places to update their code for one reason or another.

So IE is stil in there so that the programs written to work with IE will keep working.

I dont like edge either, but to be fair I have not given it a fair try and i dont plan to. I am happy with firefox and my add ons I use. Firefox and chrome and mopping the floor with IE and MS is now copying them with edge to try and get some markget share back. Which even with all that still leads right back to their app store. MS is hell bent on the app store, they want that yearly revenue and they feel that is the place to go.

First they forced it with people kicking and screaming and when they started losing a lot of customers they played nice, oh heres a start menu back, but it isnt the start menu its a dang app that can break like all the others.

It is all a mess with constant restarted bugs that shouldnt be there because it was rushed and they have 10,000+ programmers all with their fingers in the pie. that is a lot of chances for human error.

I do think 10 will get better because it simply has to, otherwise MS plan of having those billions every year that google and apple get wont come true. So I will wait and see. I wont leave windows 7 right now, but even when 7 came out it had a lot of bugs to be fixed. Once fixed though it is a great OS. 10 could be that as well. It just has a lot of unfinished worked to be done first.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:58 am »
- In other words: a future version of Windows Repair must contain a new repair called "Repair Windows Edge".

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:24:55 am »
Hello Shane, I recently installed Google Chrome as the default browser due to certain website stylesheets being shown as text only and some sites informing of the need to use an updated browser. I have Vista Home premium 32 bit and rarely use IE9. I now understand that Google Chrome will also be discontinued sometime in April/May of next year so am contemplating Firefox. The tabs I have in IE9 are also set using extensions in Google Chrome but I do not know if I will be able to retain such tabs using FireFox extensions.

Offline Dougcuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:11 pm »
I really doubt that Google Chrome is to be discontinued - its a flagship product and forms the base for Chrome OS.
Not sure where you would have got that information - nothing I can find and it makes no sense.
Google Chrome is dropping support for Java and NPAPI browser plugins
Doug Collins - Computer Support Engineer - London UK

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
Chrome can still be used post April 2016 but will no longer get security updates.

It will then be up to the user whether to continue using it or not.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004014/web-browsers/google-cuts-off-chrome-updates-on-windows-xp-and-vista.html

Offline Dougcuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 07:26:47 am »
As always the devil is in the detail
I had not seen the Google notice re XP and Vista support
Doug Collins - Computer Support Engineer - London UK