Author Topic: Reset File Permissions - Windows Repair v3.6.1 - Windows 10  (Read 27665 times)

Offline Almighty1

• View Profile
Reset File Permissions - Windows Repair v3.6.1 - Windows 10
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:17 pm »
I just downloaded Windows Repair v3.6.1.  I am a first time user of the software product under Windows Home 10.0.10240.16384 and I have some questions:

Basically, when it resets the file permissions, the directories of concern are:
C:\Windows
C:\Program Files
C:\Users

and all the subfolders and files under each one. 

Does it basically restore all the users and groups and ownership to the defaults as well as the settings for the original folder/subfolder/subfiles inheritence as far as permissions are concerned.  Also, I am wondering does it also add the required "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" with the required permissions to the three folders above.  How does it handle the C:\Users directory as there are system folders and then there are user folders, does it just assign the user folder for each user with ownership and full control back to that user? 

Does the Windows Repair tool actually do the same as this as this when I tried it using a elevated command prompt results in some files being Access Denied while other files show as not found as the name has spaces etc.
icacls "C:\Windows" /reset /T /C
icacls "C:\Program Files" /reset /T /C
icacls "C:\Users" /reset /T /C

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to be sure it does what I want it to do.  Thanks!

Offline Almighty1

• View Profile
Re: Reset File Permissions - Windows Repair v3.6.1 - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:59:11 pm »
I gave this a shot today and it did a pretty good job except as per the following:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317

It did give "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group in:

C:\Windows [Read, Read and Execute, List folder Contents permissions]
C:\Program Files [Read, Read and Execute, List folder Contents permissions]

However, it did not give C:\Program Files\WindowsApps [Read, Read and Execute, List folder Contents permissions]

it didn't process all the directories under C:\Users except for the Default User folders and the current user folder which is supposed to give "All Application Packages" group Full Control permissions.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps needs ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES to run the modern default apps or else the apps will just immediately close.

Offline maxXPsoft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:56:38 am »
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps needs ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES to run the modern default apps or else the apps will just immediately close.
Not sure what you talking about. I've uninstalled most them including Cortana and Search2
That is a protected dir though although I will be looking into it.
This win 10 is a nightmare compared to previous
Convicted Registry Tweaker
Electronics Technician/Programmer/Industrial Electrician

Offline Almighty1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:44 am »
Not sure what you talking about. I've uninstalled most them including Cortana and Search2
That is a protected dir though although I will be looking into it.
This win 10 is a nightmare compared to previous

See the link I posted above as this is a known problem with that folder which adding the "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group will fix.  I'm not talking about uninstalling but when some apps don't work for example, you will need to look inside that folder to install the apps individually.

Try this in a elevated command prompt:
takeown  /f "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r
icacls      "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%":(F) /t
After that, change the owner back to NT Service\TrustedInstall and send it to all the sub folders and files of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

then try to open Store or any of the default apps, does it open?  If not, adding "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps will usually allow the app to open again as I've been testing this in different scenario after doing a in-place upgrade install.  Cortana and Search doesn't count as those are located in C:\Windows\SystemApps and run using .exe files.

Links to look at include:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/fix-windows-8-app-opens-closes/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1928119/windows-apps-working.html
http://superuser.com/questions/949112/restore-microsoft-store-application-in-windows-10

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:21 am »
I use my program to export out the permissions from windows 10 with all updates and all added features. That way it has the most complete list that it can. It then restores these on the system it is ran.

So it firsts sets permissions to give full access so that it is able to set the permissions, this also helps grab and set non windows files and folders and registry keys. Then it does the restore to defaults, which it extracts the files that has the data for it and does the work.

With the amount of updates have been coming out for 10 like crazy I have to get the defaults updated just to make sure I stay on top of it.

Shane

Offline maxXPsoft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »
then try to open Store or any of the default apps, does it open?  If not, adding "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps will usually allow the app to open again as I've been testing this in different scenario after doing a in-place upgrade install.  Cortana and Search doesn't count as those are located in C:\Windows\SystemApps and run using .exe files.

Have that on right click
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"

Can't  I've uninstalled everything MS from my Start  :tongue: except Store
Convicted Registry Tweaker
Electronics Technician/Programmer/Industrial Electrician

Offline Almighty1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »
I use my program to export out the permissions from windows 10 with all updates and all added features. That way it has the most complete list that it can. It then restores these on the system it is ran.

So it firsts sets permissions to give full access so that it is able to set the permissions, this also helps grab and set non windows files and folders and registry keys. Then it does the restore to defaults, which it extracts the files that has the data for it and does the work.

With the amount of updates have been coming out for 10 like crazy I have to get the defaults updated just to make sure I stay on top of it.

Shane

Your program actually did a great job other than what I mentioned as it is fast too, took only 38 minutes and 39 seconds.  I tried this method before using your tool and while it uses icacls to reset, it messed things up as driver installers could not install and opening device manager from right clicking start menu would bring up UAC and ofcourse the process took 5+ hours for my current user directory in a elevated command prompt. 

http://lallouslab.net/2013/08/26/resetting-ntfs-files-permission-in-windows-graphical-utility

which basically does:
takeown /r  /f C:\Windows\*
icacls C:\Windows\* /T  /Q /C /RESET

Your program actually does set the permissions back to defaults except it should probably try to process the entire C:\Users directory since web instructions tells people to fix Windows Store problems by messing with the entire C:\Users rather than just the current users folder.  Now it would be cool if it can fix the Start Menu not working problem which is the reason I always do the in-place upgrade installs as in my case, it only happens after a reboot when I login randomly about a month later and whenever it happens, I can tell the start menu is broken because HDDHealth would complain at startup it cannot write C:\Program Files\HDDHealth\_identity.bin, it never writes that file except when it was installed as I can see it writing C:\Windows\_identity.bin based on the most recent modification times.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:46:08 pm by Almighty1 »

Offline Almighty1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »

Have that on right click
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"

Can't  I've uninstalled everything MS from my Start  :tongue: except Store

Except the right click method doesn't work as when you actually do the apply to child folders and files in the GUI when you right click Properties for a folder then Security then Advanced, it will have Access Denied to some files and folders which was the reason for the takeown and the icacls lines which would never fail on any of the files.  Win10 is known to break permissions even for files in a users home directory by default and it has nothing to do with ownership, the GUI or registry method will not work on some stubborn files as my home directory has over 125,000 files and it's usually a dozen files that causes the problem and I usually have to manually take ownership of the files as well as give it the correct permissions.  Besides, if you uninstalled everything, you wouldn't have a problem anyways since I'm talking about getting it as stock install.  Besides, why would the apps fail to work if all one did was gave themselves full control of the file even after giving ownership back to NT Service/TrustedInstaller which was the default and then only work if a certain group was added to the permissions which didn't even exist originally.  Apparently, Microsoft knows something we don't. ;)

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/10914-permissions-issues-you-do-not-currently-have-permission.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:30:23 pm by Almighty1 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:54:38 pm »
In Windows Repair v3.6.2 I went and got all the updated default permissions for 10 for both the registry and files.

Shane