Author Topic: Elongated windows corners  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Andy

• View Profile
Elongated windows corners
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:24:44 pm »
I tried attaching a screen pic, but it said the file was too big?  The minimize/exit is now twice it's size from doing the Windows Repair.   Can anybody give me at least a lead on this since no one helped me with the original problem and I've now grown literally deathly ill?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elongated windows corners
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:38:51 pm »
Do you have any restore points to prior running Windows Repair or use the registry restore from within the program ?

I don't know your original problem but if you are using Paint then you can reduce the size of the pic or use the Snipping Tool.

I'm off to bed now as it's turned 01:30 here in the UK, but Shane could still pop in as it's only about 4:30pm where he is, unless his time is being taken up with his day job.

Offline Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:30:07 am »
Boggin or Shane:

Boggin's question to me describes what the problem is.  ALL my System Restore points disappeared.  There were about ten of them from trying to install and reinstall the monstrous evil commonly known as Microsoft Silverlight.  Well, I finally (with some fixes that somehow worked after trying them multiple times) got an older version from last year working in Netflix.  But as far as tweaking.com's Windows Repair goes, I refer to my initial post:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3785.msg27166.html#msg27166

I did correct the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' problem although I have no idea how.  But I still can't work the Restore Register problem as indicated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
Hi Andy

I've just emailed Shane about your problem as he may have to go into the nitty gritty of the program.

As for your Silverlight problem, you may find this article of interest should you have any more problems with it.

http://www.techsupportall.com/silverlight-wont-install-and-cant-uninstall/

However, as you have an older version installed, you may get an update to that through Windows Updates, but if it's working then probably best to let Windows take care of it rather than working your way through any of the steps in the article.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:41:50 pm »
hmmm okay to your orignal post when trying to restore from a back up are you running as an administrator account? And you selected the right restore point before all the repairs? I uploaded a picture showing the steps to take to do the restore process after following the steps what is happening are you getting any errors?
Julian

Offline Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 03:03:12 am »
> "are you running as an administrator account?"'

Good question I'm afraid.  Re-installing Silverlight, I tried many options, like setting up a new user account to install Silverlight from there (suggested in Windows Support pages) .  Everytime I would reboot, it set up as the New User with zero settings history, and zero of my programs and files.  Windows had also changed the "New User" into the Administrator somehow.   I had to 'logoff administrator' and F8 every bootup to get back into my real Administrator account.  After much frustration (probably a brain tumor from this), I tried deleting the new 'New User Account" I had made for this purpose of trying to re-install Silverlight (is a week ago). 

Probably a fatal error, eh?  Isn't the Administrator's Account supposed to be underlined in Control Panel/Settings/User Accounts ?  After Windows or something on Windows changed the New "New User Account" I made last week into the Administrator's Account I was not able to change it the setting.  Windows would not allow me to do it.  So I made sure my old real logon account said 'Administrator' (I changed the name back and rebooted and made sure I had two Administrator Accounts) then deleted the new blank account that had none of my collected files and settings but was still being referred to as "Administrator's Account" and.... 

A gamble that didn't pay off, I gather.  I assumed it would revert back but no.  So the official underlined Administrator is now either gone or in limbo somewhere.  The good is I still have access and direct reboot into my old Administrator Account so that I don't have to log off Administrator and F8 twice and then 'choose account' anymore.  The bad is I don't think Windows recognizes me as a true Administrator anymore.  The temp account that Windows somehow changed into Administrator apparently took the Windows ownership with it when I deleted it to get the computer to reboot properly.  Unfortunately, I have no WinXP disks for reinstalling it.   

So, if your program is looking for a proper Administrator Account, maybe that's why 'Restore Registry' will not function?  I had so many System Restore points on there that apparently Windows views any excessive amount as trash and wipes them. 

I don't know if it makes a difference but there _are_ Repair Backups listed in your Program (about 5 of them) dating back to Oct 18, 1:00 AM.

If there is a successful 'System Restore' would there be an affirmation from the Program upon reboot?  Because I saw no indication anytime/everytime I tried it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 03:31:35 am »
You could see if you can use the restore after enabling the hidden admin account which is the ultimate boss and then change the value back to 0 to hide again when done.

http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/hidden-administrator-account-win-xp/

You could also use this to create a new admin account should your old profile have become corrupt.

You would need to reboot to log back in with that one and perhaps try the restore with that one before using the hidden admin account.