Author Topic: repair sparse points and folder security on other drives.  (Read 5543 times)

Offline flugger

• View Profile
repair sparse points and folder security on other drives.
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:51:34 pm »
Is there a way to repair reparse points and folder security on other drives besides C: drive?

My mistake I meant reparse not sparse.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:22:19 pm by flugger »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: repair sparse points and folder security on other drives.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
No, the program is meant to run inside windows as it has to pull information from windows in order to do the repairs and also when registering files and such the program has no control over how that is handled. So it cant be used to do that for windows that it is not running in.

It does look at the profile location and if it is on another drive. So it will do that.

Currently it just focuses on the windows drive. If you need to see if you have points on another drive that are not normal windows ones you can use the nirsoft program to scan it and return them to you as well :-)

Shane

Offline flugger

• View Profile
Re: repair sparse points and folder security on other drives.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »
     The reason I asked is when I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 community; the installer was failing on opening registry entries.  This was probably from Windows 7 bad install of Visual Studio..  So I changed the security on the failed registry and tried it again. I finally got to the point where I could uninstall and install Visual Studio.  Yes I probably could saved all this headache doing a clean install but I just have too many apps installed. And I installed this on my 3rd drive not c: drive.

Anyway I was thinking I wish I had an app that would reset my security entries for registry and folders. And that's when I found your program. hallelujah I found Tweaking.com - Windows Repair.  Now if I could direct Tweaking.com - Windows Repair to reset folder security settings ON OTHER DRIVES that would be wonderful.  And yes I immediately bought the pro version just for those two reasons. 

My Windows 10 is running greats. Thanks.