Author Topic: Repair hangs  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Repair hangs
« on: October 31, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
I had been having several problem with Windows so I downloaded version to try to see if it might fix problem with my USB3 connections, sound problem (only on one program) &

A couple of months ago on the day I went to hospital I got the Windows 10 file downloaded but have be loath to try installing it until my problems had been cleared up.  The intention was to get the PC cleared of clutter & working well then install the New Windows & clone the system both before & after the update.  I had held back until the dust settled with this program because unless I'm very wrong it will actually just install over what you had before with what you have warts and all & can't actually fix anything. Is this assumption correct?

So I started the latest version of Tweaking thinking that it would take about the same amount of time it usually does.  I had forgotten that we had to go out had to go out I left the PC running.  I realized this morning that I had forgotten to check on the results.  I found that the PC was still stuck on 10 of 45 & had been running for about 15 hours.

I used snipping tool to capture screen then used CTRL,ALT,Del to try to stop program hanging & after a few presses the program moved on to finish its job & then rebooted.

The fixes that I hoped might happen didn't.  Should I try reverting back using the restore point?  Should I just let Windows 10 be installed?  Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair hangs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:54:43 am »
I think it's best to upgrade from an error free version.

I know from someone on another forum that USB problems have carried over from Win 8.1 and while there is a Hotfix for his problem, it only applies to Win 8.1 and not Win 10.

As yours only affects one program then it isn't likely to be the computer - depending upon what this program is.

I'd restore to prior the aborted WR run and post more details about your original problem and the program involved.

I don't know offhand what fix 10 does but for it to have stuck, then it must have found problems and perhaps a sfc /scannow may provide some answers.