Author Topic: Replacing corrupted files  (Read 6953 times)

Offline MK0001

• View Profile
Replacing corrupted files
« on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »
Hi, I got the message below about corrupted files. How do I replace them? Many thanks - Matthew

Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (12/11/2015 21:40:21)

│ These Files Are Possibly Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature): (Total: 2)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_6_for_KB2585542~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB978886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.mum

2 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing corrupted files
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:02:32 am »
First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Shane

Offline MK0001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 02:55:42 pm »
Hi there

I did as suggested below and ran the pre-scan again. It comes up with one possibly corrupt result, see below. I am not sure if this is the file you gave meand whether it is there because I installed it incorrectly? Reparse points and environmental variables are ok. I am aware that the tool says I can continue with scans anyway but I am trying to do each stage as suggested. Last time I went ahead and tried the repairs section but it couldn't complete so I'm wanting to try again if I do it step by step. I am not a tech so need this in layman's terms.

Cheers
Matthew

Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (19/11/2015 22:25:26)

│ These Files Are Possibly Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature): (Total: 1)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_6_for_KB2585542~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.mum

1 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

│ Files Checked & Verified: 3,875

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(19/11/2015 22:30:07)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:01:46 pm »
The cat file holds the hash file info for the mum file and is how the program can tell if the file is corrupt or not. When you ran the scan again did you make sure to put the check on the box to have it readd the cat files to the database?

Shane

Offline MK0001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:02:59 am »
Hi

Yes I checked the box for adding the CAT files to the database. I've tried it a couple of times it still comes up with saying the mum file above is corrupted. I don't know if this needs to be addressed or if I should go on with trying the subsequent scans? As my computer couldn't complete some of the later scans I was just going to ask for help with each one and see what went wrong
Matthew

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:55:46 pm »
It wont affect the repairs, just make sure to run them all in safe mode :-)

Shane