Author Topic: Battery Icon missing on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on Toshiba Satellite A665  (Read 14811 times)

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I've used Tweaking.com's repair tool but still I cannot restore the battery icon for my laptop.  I don't know why, when or how it went missing and I am at a loss for what to do next.  There is no way for me to tell how much battery is left, so I have to keep it plugged in.  Coincidentally, I also have a problem with Windows Update.  I can download the updates but there is no link to install them.

Also, the Power icon in the Customize system icons is greyed out and cannot edit it.

I ran antivirus scans too and it shows nothing.  HELP!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:43:40 pm by nbkuz92 »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
have you gone into device manager and disabled and re enabled the battery sometimes this help's :)
Julian

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I have restarted the drivers and it still doesn't work.  The drivers are up to date.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Have you clicked on the arrow head in the Taskbar/Customize and checked that the Power icon is set to Show icon and notifications ?

You can also Reset default icon behaviours.

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I right click the date/time in the task bar and click customize notification icons.  In that list, there is no settings available for Power.  I click on the link to Turn system icons on or off and I see the System Icons Power Icon.  The Default Behavior is set to Off and the setting is greyed out and I cannot change it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Let's see if uninstalling a couple of bits in Device Manager will do it, but first create a restore point by going Start - right click on Computer - select Properties then System Protection in the upper left pane.

When the buttons become active, click on Create and type Pre Batt Uninstall into the box - OK and when it tells you the restore point was successfully made, OK your way out of there and close the window.

Go Start - type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Expand Batteries - right click on MS Compliant Control Method Battery - select Uninstall - confirm then click on Action - Scan for hardware changes and wait for it to reinstate then check to see if the icon is back and functional.

If not then do the same for the MS Composite Battery.

EDIT - Did the Restore default behaviour not do anything ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:01:57 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm going to have to shoot off for a while but will be back later.

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I cannot restore Default Behavior because the option is greyed out.  I uninstalled both battery devices, one at a time, and it didn't make a difference.  In Device Manager under Other Devices, there are 8 unknown devices.  I deleted them and after scanning for hardware changes they didn't come back.  The Power option is still greyed out and I still cannot change the default behavior.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you get unknown devices in Device Manager it's usually because a driver from something else is missing.

It's possible that reinstalling the battery bits may have sorted the unknown devices as they haven't come back.

Go Start - type services.msc and press enter - scroll down to Network Store Interface and ensure it shows as Started and Automatic.

If it's showing as anything else then let me know.

If that is as it should be then there are registry entries to delete but MS has a Fixit for that, but read the Let me fix it myself section as you may have to go back into the icon Customize.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/945011

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
Network Store Interface looks good.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:43:57 pm by nbkuz92, Reason: Attaching screen shot »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So what about that MS Fixit in the link that I posted ?

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I've tried that several times before and now once again and still nothing.  I even tried the manual updates.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think this batch file to rebuild the icon cache only applies to Desktop shortcuts but you could give it a try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

I'm about out of ideas on this one I wouldn't know what to look for in Event Viewer, unless it was a recurring error at around the times that you boot up.

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I don't think this is the problem.  The Power icon is showing but is greyed out.  I need to know how to enable it.  See my attached screen shot in the prior post.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
See if the batch file under No.7 in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19085-system-icons-enable-disable.html will do it for you.

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
I get an error.. Windows cannot find gpedit.msc.  I am logged in with an Administrator account.

Offline nbkuz92

• View Profile
Still didn't work

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Try this and then post
open the "Windows Task Manager" by pressing "Ctrl + Alt + Del" or pressing "Shift and Ctrl" keys together then press "Esc".  Click the "Processes" tab and look for "explorer.exe".  Select that and click "End Process" at the bottom.  The taskbar and the entire system tray will be gone, but that's okay.  You will go back to the Windows Task Manager.  This time in the "Applications" tab, click on "New Task" button.  Type "explorer.exe".  The Sound and Battery/Power icons will reappear.
This is a possible solution.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:10:46 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I get an error.. Windows cannot find gpedit.msc.  I am logged in with an Administrator account.

I didn't realise that the download button also used gpedit but thought it was an alternative.

Group Policy Editor is only available on Win Pro and above, although there is a workaround to enable it on lower versions.

Link removed as no longer working.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:58:26 am by Boggin »