Author Topic: (SOLVED) Win10 apps dead after running Windows Repair  (Read 47015 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: (SOLVED) Win10 apps dead after running Windows Repair
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:47 pm »
I will keep testing the powershell command as all the updates on 10 keep flowing in. Its a rather large bug so I am sure they will get it fixed at some point. Once it is I will update the program again :-)

Shane

Offline Richvideo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:43 pm »
Hi, has MS provided a fix/patch for this issue yet so that the repair tool will work again?
Thanks in advance for your time

Offline theblackhole

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:55 am »
Hello,

anyone knows if switching to Insider builds solves the problem and if it worth it ?
I'm maybe pessimistic but I think MS won't solve this issue until the next upgrade (and it may come in June if I remember)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 09:57:23 am »
Shane is in the process of testing an update to WR to keep abreast of the latest updates as well as checking to see if MS has resolved this.

When it is ready for release, whether they have or not may be included in the release notes.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 12:37:01 am »
Okay so i'm gonna load up my vm i think they released a fast ring earlier so i'm gonna see if they fixed it.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 09:16:57 am »
I dont have the insider builds so I havent tested on them. I am not even sure if MS even knows about it, you would think they would by now. But MS is also no longer giving any change logs with their updates, so yeah its going to be a wait and guess game.

I am really really starting to hate Windows 10. Thing is, it is here to stay, the app sotre is what they want. I think MS needs to get some new people in.

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »
yeah still broken on it...
Julian

Offline Richvideo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 03:55:21 pm »
Yeah it would be great if we could get the store fix sometime in the near future,

I have been trying to fix the issue on a friends computer, he also has an action center notifications issue where you can not get it to open when you click on it in the tray, the Wifi control in the tray will not open either so he can not change to another wifi connection...Searching on Google I read that this issue with tray items not opening when clicked on is common in 10--tried a few recommended fixes but they did not resolve the issue. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 04:09:36 pm »
Have you tried the recovery option where it will keep the personal stuff but programs will need to be reinstalled ?

Offline Richvideo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »
No I did a in place reinstall and that did not help. I am trying to avoid doing a full reinstall because it will take a very long time to re-install and setup this computer because it has many video editing apps on it and a custom desktop (rainmeter) I have worked with PCs for many years in video production and have usually have been able to overcome issues like this one without having to start from scratch.   

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 04:54:42 pm »
hmmm open up power shell and try this command this will reset just the shell experience aka new startmenu..
Code: [Select]
Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
Julian

Offline Richvideo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:22 pm »
Thanks, I will give that a try when I get a chance, do you think that this reset might not be compatible if you are running Stardocks Start10 app?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:57 pm »
hmmm from what I see I don't think it should effect that because star docks start 10 would be a separate app and "shellexperience" is an app for the ui in windows 10 replacing the start menu and is separate from explorer.exe. give it a shot tell me what happens. and always be prepared to have stardocks start 10 backed up just in case. you never know what can happen I always prep for worst case scenario.

"backing up is slightly less important than your heart beat. don't repair without it."  -quote from windows repair backup tab.
Julian

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 05:25:23 am »
I made a small contribution about this issue in a sticky at the start of this forum a while ago. Now I will try to follow this detailed thread, although much of it is too complicated for me so I hope you will eventually come to a simple solution I can cope with! My limited understanding is that there was a bug in the November update which gets triggered (usually) by PowerShell commands to re-register apps.  This is a quote from another forum:

"Never ever run that powershell command to repair apps. All it does it breaks apps that only a refresh can fix. You have been warned."