Main Forum > Tweaking.com Support & Help

Simple Performance Boost

(1/4) > >>

Willy2:
There're a number of options/tweaks (Visual Tweaks) in Simple Performance Boost (SPB) that only can be (un-) selected together because they share the same registry key. That's the subject of the suggestions/thoughts below.

-- They could be placed/grouped together and be given/share one option-box only as well. Move the entire group as a whole to e.g. the top of the tab. To make it clear they belong together.
-- You could reduce the amount of lines they occupy in the tab. Simply one box/option called e.g. ""Several visual tweaks that increase computer speed and are controlled by one reg value/key"" or something along those lines. Then you could move the extended explanation to the explanation pane in the bottom left hand corner.
-- SPB states that these tweaks either can be switched on together or switched off together only because they share the same reg keys. But Windows (XP) on my laptop clearly suggests that I can individually tweak/manipulate each option, each with a separate box (Start, Configuration, System, Advanced, (visual Settings)). :confused: See attachment (this is the dutch version of the menu that allows the user to set those visual options). Or has these options/boxes removed from Vista & Windows 7 ?

Shane:

--- Quote ----- SPB states that these tweaks either can be switched on together or switched off together only because they share the same reg keys. But Windows (XP) on my laptop clearly suggests that I can individually tweak/manipulate each option, each with a separate box (Start, Configuration, System, Advanced, (visual Settings)). :confused: See attachment (this is the dutch version of the menu that allows the user to set those visual options). Or has these options/boxes removed from Vista & Windows 7 ?
--- End quote ---

That is because the reg key used for those is a hex key. Change 1 part of the key and part of the hex is changed. I have the values for turning them all on or off. But I don't know how the values are suppose to be when they are mixed.

An example of what the reg key looks like:
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4162193956-2004064655-172555002-1000\Control Panel\Desktop]
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:9E,3E,07,80,12,00,00,00

Shane

Willy2:
I could try to see what changes in the registry keys when I change the separate options :wink:

Shane:
Let me know what you find out.

I am still working hard on the new advanced system tweaker :-)

Shane

Willy2:
I thought I would crack this problem in 30 minutes or so but it's much more complicated and far from clearcut. And I ruined my original settings. Didn't save the original Windows-theme before I started tweaking/fiddling.

It seems the ever changing mask is used to determine which parts of Windows are to be loaded and run by Windows. This reminds me of what I saw on my old home computer when I went through the OS. (in assembler). Then every bit (in a byte) could have a separate meaning.

I simply won't give up right now but I fear this could be all in vain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version