Author Topic: IE11 doesn't show any pages  (Read 22718 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: IE11 doesn't show any pages
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 04:04:56 am »
Hi, Those lines on enhanced protection mode or enterprise mode is for Boggins to say something more on that.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:55 am »
I searched google to see if people expereience problems of restore points due to their AV and it seems there are huge discussions about it and I believe the only way to ensure those restore points is probably start using MS windows defender, but then we end up having  a weak AV. Its a pitty that the AV companies haven't made a solution so that their products permit be reverted back and nor MS has done anything about it.

Does the same problem exists with the latest win10? 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:34 am »
Hi, Those lines on enhanced protection mode or enterprise mode is for Boggins to say something more on that.

This thread isn't about this and you can only use gpedit on Windows Pro or greater unless you use a similar workaround as [Link removed as no longer working] and I don't really have an opinion on enhanced protection mode.

If it does what MS says it does then it is good enough for me in its current form in Home Premium.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:00:17 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:27 am »
I searched google to see if people expereience problems of restore points due to their AV and it seems there are huge discussions about it and I believe the only way to ensure those restore points is probably start using MS windows defender, but then we end up having  a weak AV. Its a pitty that the AV companies haven't made a solution so that their products permit be reverted back and nor MS has done anything about it.

Does the same problem exists with the latest win10?

You have to manually enable System Protection in Win 10 as it isn't enabled by default, but an AV program is an AV program regardless of the Windows version.

I've never had Norton block a restore point, but given how often you may need to use restore points, booting up into Safe Mode now and again isn't any real hardship.

I think I'd put safety before that inconvenience and keep Avast in favour of >=Win 8's Windows Defender.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 12:30:56 pm »
I tried to perform a restore point in safe mode and It seems as I have no restore points at all, they all have been deleted. I found a cmd command on google that tells how many restore points are created and it shows none. I am beginning to think that my Avast has been casuing some issues.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56:45 pm »
It may not have been Avast, although Shane said he has had problems with Avast but didn't elaborate.

Win 7 has been blighted with this problem for years without a proper fix or reason why from MS and Googling the problem will produce quite a lot of links.

This article may or not fix the problem http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-missing-system-restore-points-in-windows-vista-and-7/

After you have run through those steps, create a restore point, reboot then see if it is still there.

If you want to try Avira instead of Avast, then run the Avast uninstaller to remove all residue, although Avast Free can run alongside most other AV programs because it doesn't have its own firewall, but you want complete rid of it.

Avast Uninstaller - https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Avira - https://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

I have no experience of Avira but in reviews of best free AV programs, it isn't usually very far away from Avast.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 10:33:09 am »
Boggin, You mentioned earlier that you use Norton 360 and have no problem with restore points, for how long have you used Norton and what version of windows are you using? Maybe there are differences between AVs and some can revert back their definitions and update them later. And maybe these behaviors are missing in free versions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
I'm using Norton Security without Cloud back up now as that has superseded Norton 360, but while Norton has never blocked a restore point, I usually have a hell of a job getting it back up to date and using Win 7 x64 Home Premium SP1 preinstalled on a cheap Toshiba laptop.

I've been using Norton since I bought my first laptop in 2010.

Argos which as far as I know is just an UK company, were selling the 5 machine version for £29.99p so I bought two when I'll use the other one in about 12 months time.

The version with Cloud back up is more expensive and is usually only a single machine licence.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:49:54 pm by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:25 pm »
Hi, Normally Avast do not delete any restore points. I have used Avast for more than 5 years and have not received any problem.
                                     The restore points are missing because of some rootkits, and rogue programs which tries to inject their venomous program and also make it to delete the restore points as well , as everyone would try this as a last resort.
                                                Bundled programs coupled with trojan would do more damage than deleting restore points.
                                 Regarding upgrading to version 11, i do not see any problem. If there is any problem, would you please encloses what is the problem during installation? Without knowing that it may not be ideal to give the correct solution.
                                       What is the error message you are getting when you try to upgrade to 11. It is better to go to version 11 and please tell the problem. You have mentioned that it does not install fully. Now are you running IE version 10 or 11
                                              Now I am using panda antivirus free which is cleaning viruses in your computer thro their cloud coverage link which no other free av program gives
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:52:01 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 04:55:50 am »
jraju,
I have updated IE to version 10, and have tried to install 11 through windows update and manually but it stops almost at the end of installation and gives error code: 9C59.

As for AV causing problems with restore points I can't say or sure we have also another laptop with win8.1 and avast running but restore points works fine on that, but when searching google there are many threads concerning AVs causing problems with restore points.

I have ran several programs to delete Rootkits, malwares, etc but that hasn't helped me either, this laptop was fresh installed two months ago and I remember in the beginning restore points worked, as I had earlier had the same problem before a fresh install.

Now I have now installed Avira on this laptop but haven't noticed any difference so far. I don't get any bsod or black screen or any other failures with this laptop, but I might once again reinstall win7 just to test the restore points and see if I can find the source to the missing restore points.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 05:25:54 am »
Which version of Windows are you using where you are getting the 9C59 error ?

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 05:28:47 am »
I am having restore points issues with the laptop running Win 7 Home premium 64 bit

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 05:57:09 am »
Sometimes you can get the 9C59 error because of corruption in the SoftwareDistribution folder.

These are general update fix commands which you can try and then see if either the direct download I've linked or this Offline Installer will do it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-11-worldwide-languages

Run a command prompt as an admin and either enter or copy & paste all of them to the cmd prompt where they will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you may have to press enter.

The SoftwareDistribution cmd will remove the update history but that won't affect already installed updates.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

The error code may change if it still fails after those, but there are some additional steps in this article -

http://www.wintips.org/fix-error-code-9c59-insternet-explorer-installation-failed/