Author Topic: chkdsk will not run, not sure what to do next  (Read 11646 times)

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
chkdsk will not run, not sure what to do next
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »
Hi,
I have run into a problem while attempting to update a Dell Studio 1558 (i5 w/ 6 Gb RAM).  Before attempting the work, I ran the tweaking repair tool to make sure the system was in top shape; this is where things have gone sour.  I ran the pre-check and got the following error:
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3009736~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.cat
This deals with an MP4 issue which makes no sense on why chkdsk will not run on restart.  When I run it inside the tools it shows there are errors and cannot continue in read-only (log file below) mode.  When I try to set chkdsk /f in admin console and reboot it will not run.
I have tried a couple things to fix it but nothing my feeble brain comes up with has worked.  What steps SHOULD I try to resolve this issue?  Thank you for any help and light you can shed on this issue.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: chkdsk will not run, not sure what to do next
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 02:29:23 pm »
Have you run an anti-malware scan to check that the system is clean ?

If the system appears to be clean, then run sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

If it reports that it cannot repair some files then run SFCFixe.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

That will put its report onto the Desktop which you can copy & paste into the reply box, but read through the MajorGeeks page before downloading.

Either Shane or Julian will upload that Package for you with instructions in how to copy it, but like you, I doubt that would have stopped chkdsk /f from running as corrupt Package files usually just affect Windows Updates - although you could create a restore point and run the Hotfix to see if that resolves the Package error, but chdsk failure usually points to other corruption which a sfc /scannow may or not fix.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3009736
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:33:11 pm by Boggin »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-will-not-run-at-startup this explains this perfectly see if this may help you out let me know :D
as for the missing cat ill get it for you in a moment on another post to this thread.
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:01:13 pm »
I found the file for you and uploaded it. here is a quote from one of Shane's previous posts on another thread about the steps to take to apply these files.

First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Shane
(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
Julian

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »
OK, here is where we are with this now.  I ran Malwarebytes and it picked up four potential programs that were adware.  Chkdsk still would not run so I ran sfc /scannow- it goes to 32% and stops w/ errors. Ran sfcfix and the file is attached.  Went into the registry w/ regedit to look at thatkey as noted in 2nd post.  I wanted to post the findings there before I edited and restored back to normal in order to better understand what was set there (if anyone can enlighten me). 
The registry key for BootExecute read:
autocheck autochk /p \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

I am getting ready to try what is in post 3 and will repost after that also.  In the meantime, anyone have a clue on the extras in the BootExecute or what I can do to fix the rest of these errors?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »
MS has a Hotfix for the autochk.exe, but not sure if MS has to email it to you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975778

I believe you can delete the autocheck autochk /p \??\C: so that you just have the one entry as in mine of autocheck autochk * but create a restore point first and then restart to effect any registry changes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:22:28 pm by Boggin »

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:51:05 pm »
I downloaded and installed the file in the specified space, re-ran the repair prescan and all is now showing good there.  It still will not run scndsk nor will it complete sfc (I get an error stating windows Resource Protection cannot perform the requested operation.)
I checked the autochk.exe and get an error that says the version of the file is incompatible with my version of Win7.
I have tried the hotfix you posted and it did not solve this issue either.
Any other ideas, short of a clean install?  I hate to admit defeat and go that route, so I hope ya'll have another path.
Thanks for all the help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:39:08 am »
Did you delete the longer Bootexecute string ?

When you just have autocheck autochk /p \??\ C: that will run a chkdsk every time you boot up, so normally that would need to be changed to autocheck autochk*

As it has both, Windows may not know what to do, so it doesn't.

If you have deleted that string, then it may be that the Windows Module Installer service isn't set to Manual or is unable to start.

Go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Windows Module Installer, check that it is showing as Manual, click on it and then Start in the upper left pane.

If it is showing as Disabled, right click on it and select Properties then use the dropdown to change that to Manual then hit the Start button - OK - File - Exit

The chkdsk could also be failing because of bad sectors on the HDD, but as you are also unable to run a chdksk then download the 30 day trial version of HD Sentinel and that will give a written report on the status of your HDD.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Uninstall it when done and that will stop the clock on the 30 days.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:47:55 am by Boggin »

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
Yes, i did make the change to the BootExecute registry entry to only the suggested entry.

Windows Module Installer was set to manual and started - no change upon reboot.  Sfc still stops at 32% with same Windows Resource Protection cannot perform the requested operation.  Chkdsk /f /r still gives option to set at restart, but it does not run, goes right into Windows boot.

I installed the HDSentinel program- no errors.  I have included the .txt file from the run.  Like the info from it- thanks for turning me on to it.

Any other suggestions to try?

* Another new thing has come up I  am assuming is related- I cannot receive Windows updates now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:51:16 pm by MAS51 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »
Let's try this then -

Boot up into the Advanced Boot options by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on and select Repair your Computer - change or confirm the keyboard language using the dropdown and navigate to the Recovery Environment.

I can't remember if it looks for the location of the OS, but if it does then make a note of it as may not be C:

In the Recovery Environment select Command Prompt and if it didn't look for the location or you missed it, at the cmd prompt enter -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \

Then using whichever partition letter it gives, enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter.

This would normally execute without the need to reboot and if it does execute, the report will be in the cmd window and does not create a wininit log, so you'll have to make notes of what it fixes and its final report.

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
Things keep getting more interesting- when I access advanced recovery options I cannot get to where you ask me to go to.  When I click on repair windows, I get the screen telling me to insert my disk, to check or change my language, etc.  But I don't get to change my language or do anything else because I get an error message there stating the requested action cannot be performed because a required asset is unavailable (paraphrased it, I didn't write it down).
The real kicker is, for the most part, everything is working fine on the system.  If it weren't for not being able to fix the problems listed I would be a happy camper, but having corrupted files, etc and not being able to run updates is a ticking timebomb as you know.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:30:23 pm by MAS51 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:32:05 am »
You're right there - things are getting interesting - just not for the better :)

It could be best if you could do this on another Win 7 x64 machine, but can you create a Repair disk to see what you get when you boot up with that ?

Go Start - type repair and the option to Create a System Repair disc should come up to click on.

You would need to tap F12 as you switch on then select ODD or CD/DVD - insert the disk and press enter, then press any key to boot from the CD/DVD when momentarily prompted.

If you can't get beyond confirming the language then you wouldn't even be able to get to the RE to use the option to factory reset in the case of an OEM machine.

I can send you a couple of Win 7x64 SP1 install disks (one spare) to boot up with, but there's no guarantee that an offboot sfc /scannow would work, but if you want to PM me your address, I'll burn and send them off to you to try.

If you are using an OEM machine then you usually have the option to create a set of Recovery disks.

This will be a copy of what is in the Recovery partition so that you can factory reset with those, but you would need to back up your personal stuff first and then reinstall any programs after, ensuring you have the product keys for any paid ones.

You'd also have the likes of Java, Adobe products and the dreaded Windows updates to download/install, but at least after a factory reset, Windows Updates should work.

As for the problems you have had in trying to get to the RE, I'm not sure if Event Viewer would have recorded anything for that, but can you download MiniToolBox and run it with all of the boxes checked.

You can copy & paste its Notepad output into the reply box by right clicking in the text area - click on Select all then right click again and select Copy.

Right click in the reply box and select Paste.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Offline MAS51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »
OK, I will do that.  Prob be a day or two before I get it done just due to time constraints w/ work, kids, etc.  I will post once done.  Again, thanks for the help in getting this worked through.  Weirdest thing I have had come up in a long time.