Author Topic: My computer name INtel pc shown as Unknown device in printer and hardwares  (Read 20340 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
                         I randomly check for unknown device. But to my surprise, my computer name is shown as unknown device and its installed date as shown as this novermber 18. How to check , what has been missing as drivers for the computer, which is working normally otherwise.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My computer name INtel pc shown as Unknown device in printer and hardwares
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:27:39 am »
That's a new one for me.

What does it report when you right click on the PC icon and select Troubleshoot ?

Is there anything unusual showing in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices ?

Do you have any restore points going back to when you last checked for Unknown Devices ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »
Hi,
                   I have checked by right clicking on the icon and it shows the c: drive files in a different way. I tried trouble shoot in the right click menu, and it opens a dialog box, simultaneously trying to find drives for the device, but failing to install drivers.
                            Somehow, i could not enclose a print screen of the right click menu and also the diagnostic log from trouble shooting.
                                     But when computer starts, it does not look for any device or drvers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:05 am »
You could try resetting the CMOS (BIOS) which can be done by removing the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes, but as this can differ from machine to machine, you would need to Google for the Service manual for your machine to see the correct procedure as it can also include switching jumpers on a Desktop PC.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:10:03 am »
Hi,
              Boggins. Sorry for late replying. You might have noticed the rain effects on Chennai city , in India has battered it totally making the city as an ISland.
                           All services, phone,mobile, communication , internet everything went dead including power. You might have seen about inundation the city has experienced.
                                 I could see a flash river flowing down the street in the speed of race car. You could imagine. The rain has forced everybody indoors and when we woke up next mornring , the street was clean with heap of road materials on the cement road.
                                    Every storage reached full and the resultant extra water flooding the street in the lower region, where it has engulfed the entire locality in its way rendering thousands without any thing to support their lives.
                                          My locality is safe but my relatives, friends have been totally cut off without any communication. Now everything is slowly coming to normal including internet. Hence  my late visit to this forum. Still the low regions has sea of water to be pumped out
                                          I am enclosing the txt file, of the properties in the device extracted from the problematic device.Just see what is wrong.
                                               I saw that there was a device driver of mcafee site advisor, with the name of the device code. There is no hardware id , but i enclose the details.
                                                 I uninstalled the mcafee site advisor, and still has the unkown device driver.
                                                        How resetting of bios would be responsible for this unknown device? Please see the enclosure and analyse to give solution

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:19:20 am »
In your opening post you say it is your computer that is showing as Unknown Device which is why I thought perhaps resetting the BIOS may help.

Go Start - type msinfo32 - press enter and expand Components then click on Problem Devices to see if it finds any.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:36 am »
Hi, Yes, It is my computer. There was no power supply and internet connection that affected the communication.
                         The thing about chennai flood is a addition to the topic , that our city has faced. Now I hope you understand.
                                       It is included in the text file i enclosed. The text file is the cut and paste of the properties of the problematic device.
                                                 How to know which device if it is . There is no hardware id. But the other information i posted in the text file is the only thing that i could supply.
                                                        i checked the problematic device and it shows the same information . Anyhow i will also enclose the same in my next post.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 10:12:30 am »
There hasn't been anything on the UK news that I've seen about floods in India.

Our news of late has been dominated about the Labour Party being split over a decision in Parliament whether to vote to extend UK air strikes on ISIL in Syria and the shootings in San Bernadino, but we have had floods and gales which has wiped out power supplies, although not to the extent as your country would seem to have experienced.

Fortunately my local area hasn't been affected.

That text file listed items I would expect to see in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers -

Have you checked for any yellow alerts in there ?

From your opening post, you have a number of devices plugged in - do you get the same error with those unplugged ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 06:06:07 pm »
Hi, I am enclosing the print screen shots in device manager.
             I uninstalled mcafee site advisor as it is shown as the problematic device in the msinfo32.
the file shown was included in my txt file
ROOT\LEGACY_MFESAPSN\0000    device info path
                        If there is no hardware id, does it mean that it is not hardware, but software device by third parties.
                            I uninstalled mcafee site advisor, but still showing my pc name as unknown device

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:59 pm »
Hi, I am enclosing the third attachment also

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:17:09 pm »
Hi, Boggins
                        On a fluke, when i right click and note change hardware, the device was shown as not unknown device, but base system device and i could not capture. I give below the updated details. once it installed, the yellow mark has gone, but again came back immediately.
 Intel R 82865g/pe/p/gv 82848 p processor to I/O memory interface 2576 Installed and ready to use
What this means? When i tried the same thing the next time, got the device as unknown device.
                                How to fix it? how to solve this

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 01:02:22 am »
Intel R8285G is your Chipset driver.

For an OEM build, go to the computer vendor's support site and for a custom build, go to the motherboard support site and download the driver.

It may be listed as Processor to I/O Controller.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:22 am »
Hi, Would you please give me the exact link. If you want further details, let me know. Why this was not shown earlier.
                                      Moreover, can i leave it as it is? Will it normallyl show as my computer name device?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:49:58 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 07:18:33 am »
To give you an exact link I would need to know the exact make & model number of computer if OEM build or the motherboard number if custom build.

Intel have an auto detect but that part of their support site is down at the moment with a 500 error, although you could try the Driver Update Utility.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

NB - Your floods were mentioned on the late news last night with a picture of the flooding and citing 280 dead.

A lot of people in the n.w. England stretching to the n.e. England have had severe flooding through rising rivers because of Storm Desmond.

A month's rain had fallen in 24hrs.

Many homes damaged and loss of power but fortunately no loss of life.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:25:52 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:35 am »
Hi, I also tried that link, but it failed to find any driver in my computer.
                      Regarding the mother board specifications, is the text file not reflecting the correct details . The details are in the lower part of the text file, giving complete information.
                                     It is an assembled set, and now recently i have changed my mother board and processor.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:28:41 am by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:41 am »
Hi, the link uplate details enclosed. No drivers found for your product was the message and I am enclosing the result
Is there any genuine driver update software, that could be used to find it automatically without any tool bars etc
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:26:44 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 09:22:22 am »
The only thing I'd found earlier for yours is http://www.driverscape.com/download/intel(r)-82865g-pe-p-gv-82848p-processor-to-i-o-controller---2570 but as it's a 3rd party site and not Intel, I was wary of it.

I've tried all over Intel but it would seem R82865G/PE/P/GV82848P is no longer supported with no drivers being found and another page didn't apply to this one either.

Slimdrivers is a free driver updater program, but it would be looking for an update to what you have rather than a reinstall, but you could try it if the above doesn't work out - either way, create a restore point before downloading/installing any driver.

The left hand button is the freebie. http://www.driverupdate.net/

In the latest info Notepad you've posted, it has your Win 7 product key so you may want to edit that and repost.

I'm surprised you're using the Realtek AC97 audio driver as that tends to be for Vista and earlier Windows versions.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 07:52:30 pm »
Hi, Thanks boggins,
                                        Realtek ac 97 drivers were installed by the mechanic when i changed the processor and MObo. I can update from intel site, but they are non signed drivers and i am afraid that it may not work properly in other environments.
                                              Regarding the intel.com they have a software , called software updater, but it seldom finds your product to update. It is a total failure on their site. But when you go to their site, a pop up comes to give feedback. Numerous feedback have been given, but seldom they response.useless site, with obsolete drivers and no support whatsoever.
                                                   I could very well download their drivers from their site, but  it may work or may not. Can i update the drivers, when there is no problem with the existing driver for audio.
I will edit and then post the speccy. Thank you.
                                                           But i am surprised that it does not show up, when the computer boots up

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 12:29:04 am »
How could i edit the txt file i posted. Please. can i ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:48:45 am »
Save it as a Text file, go to Docs and edit before attaching.

I've removed your attachment so that you can modify your file and keep the same name.

If audio is working fine then there's no need to update the driver.

Have you tried Slimdrivers to see what that finds ?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:51:37 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 01:01:01 am »
Hi, Boggins tried that link. Ublock does not allow

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 01:08:01 am »
Hi, I could access the site, but there is no download button. If i click the button it loads the same page of instruction.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 01:38:50 am »
Strange that, I've just tried the freebie button and Norton says it's safe - although I've seen something called something like Korad bundled with it, but SuperAntiSpyware removed it when I've used the program before.

I've just downloaded IObit's Driver Booster 3 to see if it's safe and other than unchecking the box to stop Advanced System Care being bundled, it installed fine but there were 3 tabs to close down afterwards :)

It has found 6 outdated ones for me including the Controller, but I won't be updating anything anytime soon until I feel I would benefit from them.

It pins itself to the Taskbar which you can unpin and its icon pops up in on the right side of the system tray to notify of outdated drivers - there's nothing listed in msconfig to show that it's running in the background or in services.msc - but you can change its notification if you don't want that popping up.

I've run SAS and other than Adware Tracking Cookies, it didn't find anything that could be malicious.

Anyway, if you want to try it - http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 01:46:01 am »
Hi, This is an update to the answer.
                       I said fluke to get the base device. No , it is not, it is by right clicking the unknown device and click scan for hardware changes tab, instead of right clicking the unknown device in the sub folder, which is the problematic device. The trouble shooter successfully installed the base device driver, but could not find the driver for the device listed in the sub folder.
                                  I have removed all the devices , except keyboard and mouse. Still i have this problem
On extensive research, i found that the problematic device belongs to mcafee . I uninstalled all the product using their uninstaller. Still i find this entry in the device info path in the properties of the device manager in unknown device tab.
                                            How to access the device info path. How to delete this unwanted mcafee device, which is a software but work as hard ware, strange behaviour.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 02:01:50 am »
You may have to check manually.

In Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play drivers there may be something remaining - Symantec puts a few things in mine for my Norton Security.

Check Program Files for any remaining folders and then go Start - type regedit - press enter - accept the UAC and navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SOFTWARE then scroll down the list for any folders and do the same in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

Right click on any you find and select Delete, but as always, create a restore point before making any changes to the registry.

Close the registry sections back up and reboot to effect and then see if you still have the Unknown Device.