Author Topic: Windows 10 Start Menu plus problems  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Missasip1938

• View Profile
Windows 10 Start Menu plus problems
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:19:33 am »
For some unknown reason my Windows 10 Start menu will not open and right click on programs on the task bar do not respond either.   Doubleclicking on shortcuts indicates "do I want to run" and I select YES and the program disappears and is not showing in the Task manager either.  Whenever I reboot it takes a very long time to get started again and that has not been the case before this problem reared it ugly head.

When it is up it appears normal otherwise and I can run some programs without any diffculty as I am doing with the Firefox posting this on the Internet.  In some cases when I can't get the program to run from the shortcut I can go to the actual program exe file on the C drive and run it with no problem but not all will run that way either.

I have run Tweaking latest version in Safe Mode 3 times but doesn't really appear to be doing anything at all.  I have tried all the suggestions I found on the Internet including using the Powershell with "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" pasted into it but get the message "denied etc". 

So far 2 days of frustration with this as I have not been having any problems with Windows 10 since first installed months ago.

HELP!!! someone.   :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Start Menu plus problems
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
From a Command prompt (Admin) have you tried -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It tends to hang at 20% but does complete.

Here are some other repair options but the first one of using a restore point may not be possible as System Protection is disabled by default in Win 10 and needs to be manually enabled.

It has also been known to be auto disabled again after an update, so you should check on that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Start Menu plus problems
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:05:39 am »
If you have the newest build from MS from Nov then the command ""Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"" will break your apps, so dont run that command any more until MS fixes it.

The start menu not working is either permissions related in the registry or missing files.

When you ran my repairs did you make sure to run all the repairs?

Shane