Author Topic: PerfectDisk 14.0- does not support the huge MFT. How to work around the problem?  (Read 14701 times)

makinero

PerfectDisk 14.0- does not support several million small files. How to work around the problem?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Could you re frame your query a little more so that solution flows
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

makinero

I reported this serious error in an application, but in reply to get information
I use another software to defragment and can not be repaired.
That is why I ask about a workaround...
Many SMALL files / large MFT = can not fully, correctly analyze disk. Always error.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:00:37 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Why do you need PerfectDisk when Windows has a perfectly good tool in its Defragmenter for HDDs and TRIM to take care of SSDs ?

What sort of error are you getting and are you using a HDD or SSD ?

makinero

Why do you need PerfectDisk when Windows has a perfectly good tool in its Defragmenter for HDDs and TRIM to take care of SSDs ?

What sort of error are you getting and are you using a HDD or SSD ?

HDD
Because all other popular tools- I will not name a huge list defragTool that tested and none defrag fully MFT and all files. do not fully Defragment MFT (in some exceptional cases)

Again: How to work around the problem? PerfectDisk 14.0

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:09:33 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If PerfectDisk doesn't do what you want then go for another tool.

The free version of Piriform's Defraggler is supposed to be able to defrag the MFT as is one of Sysinternal's tools - and both free.

Have you tried these ?

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

makinero

Of course, I tried and also many, many other programs, but sorry - I do not want to describe the problems experienced with these app.
Defraggler - requires a lot of space allowing to defragment, also it contains a number of bugs and uses a lot of RAM, and very slow defrag.
I'm interested in only two of the best Tool:
PerfectDisk (defragment MFT)
O&O Defrag (stealth Technology) to quickly defragment normal data) and uses very little RAM (even if scan multiple disks)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:28:37 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Then I suggest you contact the vendor for advice. http://www.raxco.com/contact-us

makinero

Then I suggest you contact the vendor for advice. http://www.raxco.com/contact-us

Support Raxco:
I would suggest using the software that best suits your needs... is a better fit for your environment.

So, there will be any solution.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:37:07 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It looks like they've said what I've already suggested by using something else that will work - so in answer to your question - if Raxco don't have a solution, then no.

makinero

Boggin - Do you realize that every tool to defragment the MFT - not fully defragment files and MFT when running low on disk space for example.
[VERY LARGE MFT | small files] requires more than 25+GB (500GB)...50+GB(1 TB)  (minimum 5%) of free space (!)

For the limited fragmentation that can still occur, PerfectDisk's patented SMARTPlacement optimization strategy optimizes disk drives according to your unique usage patterns. SMARTPlacement results in the most consolidated free space available, the elimination of most fragmentation before it occurs, and a reduced rate of fragmentation.

SMARTPlacement Technology = work for me full defragmentation even if an drive very little space, eg. 10 GB (for large partitions)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:07:51 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Why not free up some space then by copying large stuff to an external HDD.

To do a normal defrag I think the min free space is 15GB.

You can free up 6GB by turning off hibernation with the elevated cmd - powercfg -h off or powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Running Disk Cleanup as an admin will also reduce the WinSxS folder of obsolete Windows Updates if you don't normally or haven't done that.

I think I got back about 3GB when I first did that - talking Win 7.

You can also run Extended Disk Cleanup which will give you more options. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/76383-disk-cleanup-extended.html

You can also use the free version of CCleaner to wipe the free space. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

makinero

Many of the tools to defragment:
Uses very, really a lot of RAM (memory leaks)
Example: Defraggler64 - use 14 GB RAM. This is the pure truth! Servers, or some desktop PC (eg. On my PC).
and.. It requires 10% free space
600 GB -> 60 GB of free space ... This is pure truth!

O&O Defrag Pro -  I could repeatedly prove that the service can simply hang... but it works quickly defrag and does not use a lot of RAM.

Smart Defrag - NOT perfect tool and authors of the program announced that in the future the old to improve application and allow 100% fragmentation.
You can not fully defragment the disk or defragmentation takes a very, very long (just algorithm is tragic) even if a lot space.

It does not interest me: that someone has a small hard drives and little data!
I do not care that someone offers me delete important data!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:07:22 pm by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not asking you to delete important data but to move it elsewhere to free up space while you want to do what you want - but it's up to you.

I can't offer any further advice on this so I won't.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
several million files woah damn i'm curious how many fragments you have on the MFT lol the most I've seen or not really seen was Shane having 5 MFT fragments
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Yeap, my D: drive has 1,125,995 files, 34,597 folders. My MFT is over 1.4 GB in size and was in 5 fragments.

I did a normal defrag from the bat file I always use and when done my MFT fragments went back down to two. So defrag did work on the MFT. I did do a chkdsk before the drfrag though, the reason being with that large number of files it is very easy for the MFT and file system to not be correct and need fixed, sure enough chkdsk fixed a few things and I then did the defrag after.

The commands I use in my bat file are

start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\defrag.exe D: /H /V /U
start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\defrag.exe D: /H /V /X /U

Shane

makinero

MFT 2 fragment 4,5 mln files, <100k sub-folders

Only PerfectDisk can defragment 2 fragment -> 1 fragment
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:46:39 pm by makinero »

makinero

Now...
Code: [Select]
Summary
PerfectDisk has finished defragmenting the selected file and it is now contiguous.

Recommended Actions
Since your drive is operating at peak performance, there are no additional optimization recommendations.

File System
NTFS
Drive Size:
714.01 GB
Cluster Size:
4 096 bytes
Used Space:
682.74 GB
Free Space:
31.27 GB
Drive Type:
HDD

0 fragment
R:\$MFTMirr
R:\$Volume
R:\$Bitmap
R:\$Boot
R:\$BadClus:$Bad
R:\$Extend\$Quota
R:\$Extend\$Reparse

1 fragment

R:\$LogFile

3 fragmentation
R:\$Extend\$ObjId:$O:$INDEX_ALLOCATIONDefrag again..
2 fragmentation
R:\$Extend\$ObjId:$O:$INDEX_ALLOCATION
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:00:45 am by makinero »