Author Topic: Running Registry Backup from the Windows Repair System Tray Icon  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Running Registry Backup from the Windows Repair System Tray Icon
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:36:21 am »
I've been making a few changes to my notebook recently to try to resolve a few minor problems. This has meant I've been making a registry backup manually before each significant change. I'm running WR v. 3.7.1 Pro incorporating Registry Backup v. 3.3.1. When I click on the WR icon in the system tray and then click on Backup Registry Now, there is a brief glimpse of the RB program before it disappears but no backup is carried out - there is no manual backup set created in the RegBackup folder in C: drive. If I open WR and then create a backup from the Step 5: Backup tab, the registry backup is created as expected. Automatic backups are also created on a daily basis.

I'm running Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. Registry Backup is set to default to making a full Volume Shadow Copy, only defaulting to the Fallback Method if VSS fails.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Running Registry Backup from the Windows Repair System Tray Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:02:19 am »
Would someone who's running Windows 7 and has Windows Repair installed mind helping me by trying to run Registry Backup from the shortcut accessible from the icon in the system tray, then check to see if a backup has actually been created? Doesn't seem to work for me......

Thanks!
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:35:48 am »
My WR Pro is upgraded to 3.7.3.

Using Win 7 I've just opened the back up from the icon and it has created a back up which is in Windows(C: )

I think it best before making any changes you make to your system that you should create a system image rather than relying on getting back into your computer should things not go as planned.

If you have two external HDDs you can create each new one alternatively so that the previous one isn't over written should you need to go back to before the last image.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:40:49 am by Boggin »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:15:52 am »
My WR Pro is upgraded to 3.7.3.

Using Win 7 I've just opened the back up from the icon and it has created a back up which is in Windows(C: )

I think it best before making any changes you make to your system that you should create a system image rather than relying on getting back into your computer should things not go as planned.

If you have two external HDDs you can create each new one alternatively so that the previous one isn't over written should you need to go back to before the last image.

Thanks for that, Boggin, I'm on the latest WR Pro as well - strange that my RB works fine except when I try to invoke it from the System Tray. I'll play around some more when I've got time and see if I can find out why the shortcut seems not  to  work for me. Not a big deal as WR & RB work fine when run from the program.......

I'm with you all the way on the system images - I've used the paid version of Casper for years to create alternate bootable backups of the hard drive in my "mission critical" notebook to a pair of usb drives in enclosures so that if things go wrong I can swap out the hard drive and be up and running again in minutes. No doubt there are other imaging programs as good but it's never let me down and support is excellent.

Happy and safely backed up 2016!
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:10:01 am »
This morning when I tested it, I used Open Registry Backup which is the manual Fallback where you have to hit the Backup Now button.

When I've just tried it again and used the Backup Registry Now option, while it seemed to work, the back up in Windows(C: ) only shows the time stamp of this morning's - so I don't know where it has stored that one.

However, using Open Registry Backup option again, the file hasn't changed its time stamp and I think I've updated Adobe Air since then but not sure if that would have made a difference to the file.

Which option did you use ?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:24:05 am »
Hi Boggin,

I'm writing this on my tablet, so can't remember exactly the terminology - in the system tray, I clicked on the red Windows Repair icon and then the shortcut which appears above to Backup Registry, I think. This produced a quick "flash" of the Registry Backup window that promptly disappeared. No new registry backup appeared in the folder in the root of C: drive where the backups normally end up...........
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:56 am »
There are two options for the RB and the Backup Now one comes up and goes through the motions, but I would have thought the file time stamp should have changed for both the recent ones.

Anyway, just to check, I've deleted the earlier one and used the Backup Registry Now option and that has created a new file - so both options are working for me.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:52:54 am »
Thanks Boggin, I'll do some testing tomorrow when I can get back on my computer and see if I can find out more about what's happening.........
Iain

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 02:02:14 am »
OK, so I fired up the notebook today, logged in and left it to sort itself out while I made a cup of tea! When I checked the RegBackup folder in C: drive, Registry Backup had successfully made its daily backup as it's set to do.

I then clicked on the WR icon in the system tray and clicked on Backup Registry Now. After a few seconds, the Registry Backup window popped up and then quickly disappeared. 20 minutes later I checked the RegBackup folder and there's no sign of a new backup. I have RB set to only create one automatic backup per day but have successfully created another manual backup in the past on the same day from the RB tab in WR, as I would expect to be able to.

It's no big deal because I know now to avoid trying to create a registry backup from the system tray icon short cut as it works perfectly from within WR itself - but I think there may be a bug here?

I'm Running Windows Repair Pro 3.7.3
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:27 am »
Could you delete that one then try the system tray icon method in Safe Mode, as your AV program may not like something working on the system files.

While that wouldn't explain why you can set it auto or from within WR - AV programs can be finicky at times.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 04:44:40 am »
I'll try it in safe mode when I get a chance, probably tomorrow.  I guess I'll have to start the icon manually once in safe mode.......

I'm using Avast Free and Malwarebytes Pro as my primary defenses BTW

Happy New Year!
Iain

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:08:28 am »
OK, booted into safe mode,started WR tray icon, clicked on Backup Registry Now shortcut - exactly the same as booting normally, no registry repair created as far as I can see.........
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 08:55:16 am »
Ah well - it was a thought, but as it works fine for me then it isn't the program so not sure what else to suggest.

Why not run WR :)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:20 am »
You're right, I'll just run WR! I had assumed that it was a bug and I was pointing it out to Shane but if it doesn't happen for other people, it's no big deal for me. If I ever find out why it's happening on my PC, I'll post in the forum.

Thanks again for your interest.......
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 09:35:34 am »
No prob.... :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:26 am »
Odd, I loaded up the tray icon on my windows 7 system and right clicked and told t to back up now and it worked fine.

Oh I bet I know what it is, open the registry backup and go to the settings and advanced settings, take off the check on do only 1 backup a day. That check is followed when the silent command is ran, normally from the task scheduler, and that is the way it is ran from the tray icon.

So if it is checked and you already did a backup for that day the program would open, see it shouldnt make one and then close. :wink:

Shane

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 09:38:05 am »
Odd, I loaded up the tray icon on my windows 7 system and right clicked and told t to back up now and it worked fine.

Oh I bet I know what it is, open the registry backup and go to the settings and advanced settings, take off the check on do only 1 backup a day. That check is followed when the silent command is ran, normally from the task scheduler, and that is the way it is ran from the tray icon.

So if it is checked and you already did a backup for that day the program would open, see it shouldnt make one and then close. :wink:

Shane

I wondered whether that was it! And I was beginning to think I was going gagga......... As I've got the progrsm set to auto backup the registry and not to create more than one backup per day, I'll run RB from witbin WR AIO should I need to create an extra manual registry backup.

Happy New Year, Shane - thanks once again for a very useful program.
Iain