Author Topic: Stuck on repairing windows updates for 16hrs  (Read 7284 times)

Offline WonWill3

• View Profile
Stuck on repairing windows updates for 16hrs
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:07:52 pm »
Had corrupted GP, System files and Windows updates from virus infection on my Win 8.1 laptop. Some guys at work suggested I try tweaking.com to fix the damage. It is now stuck on repairing windows updates and has been for 16hrs.
What should I do, can I just quit tweaking?
If I quit tweaking can I run it again or will I have to adjust some settings first?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on repairing windows updates for 16hrs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »
If WR is hung for that long then the infection has done some serious damage, so cancel it.

What have you done to ensure you are completely infection free ?

What does the elevated cmd dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth report ?

Does it report the system is repairable ?

If it reports corruption but repairable, then use dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to see what that reports.

This can look as if it is hung at 20% but will complete and then follow that up with a sfc /scannow to confirm all is well.

If the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe which will produce its report in Notepad which you can then copy and paste into the reply box.

http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

If /checkhealth reports that it is irreparable then you can perform a Non-Destructive Reinstall.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Offline WonWill3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:55:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply. So far I have run Kaspersky, Junkware Removal Tool, ADW, Hitman Pro and Malware Bytes together they removed over 400 viruses and malicious software the main one one of these seems to have changed all the group policy, security and network settings for easy external access. I did not run an elevated dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth before hand but have since tried it and it "cannot connect to sever". When I run the sfc/scannow is says cannot start the repair sevice, should I run have it in safe mode or normal mode. I have attached snips of the hung tweaking process aslo.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »
At the elevated cmd prompt can you enter net start trustedinstaller to see what that reports, also go to services.msc from Start and the Windows Module Installer should be set to Manual, but you can click on it then on Start in the upper left pane.

If it isn't showing as Manual, right click on it and select Properties then use the dropdown to change its status then click on Start - OK

After either, retry the sfc /scannow.

If that still fails to run, enter chkdsk /f and follow the prompt to type y for it to run after the next reboot.

The cmd shutdown /r /t 00 will effect an immediate restart then wait for it to do its thing.

I don't know if you've run a chkdsk before, but it will briefly display its report on screen before the reboot.

If you miss it you can view its full report in Event Viewer by going Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When it has read the data, expand Windows Logs, click on the name Applications/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window.

If that still fails and you have a Win 8.1 install disk, then you can run the sfc /scannow outside of Windows by following the bit to Run the Offline System File Checker in http://www.thewindowsclub.com/run-system-file-checker-safe-mode-boot-time

If you don't have a Win 8.1 install disk then this article will show you how to create one https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

While the first article doesn't say, you will need to change the Boot order, either in the BIOS (Setup) or by tapping F12 (usually) as you switch on.

Use the cursor keys to select the media type, insert the media and press enter if you are using F12.

Before entering the offboot sfc cmd, enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and use that partition letter in the cmd.

That's a Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:54 pm »
This article may be better for running the offline sfc /scannow in Win 8.1. https://neosmart.net/wiki/sfc/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:27:08 pm by Boggin »

Offline WonWill3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:11:05 am »
All fixed now. So many settings like Windows Module Installer were turned of or stopped, once the appropriate ones were turned back on and chkdsk was run it all came back clear. I then ran the range of antivirus again just to be sure. The total number of viruses and malware removed was 800+. Thanks for all your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:18:13 am »
That's great news - have you checked to see if a sfc /scannow and /checkhealth will now run.

Offline WonWill3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:25:25 am »
Ooops forgot that. I'll do that tomorrow, its been a long day.