Author Topic: File Permission problem with Windows 10  (Read 8729 times)

Offline radar

• View Profile
File Permission problem with Windows 10
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:23:30 am »
Hi,

Last week, I upgraded my windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and have had file permission problems ever since on my non-booting internal hard drives. Here is my system configuration:

C:  (Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD) - Windows 10 boot drive (where my "Documents" folder currently resides)

E: (Western Digital Black 2TB HDD) – contains my old Windows 7 “Documents” folder (at one time this drive had Windows 7 installed on it (before I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my SSD, so this drive still shows a Master Boot Record)

F: (Samsung 1TB HDD) – used for backing up files and storing all my music and pictures

G: (Seagate ST3000 3TB HDD) {this one recently began showing FAILED S.M.A.R.T. tests} – used for backing up files and storing all my music and pictures

H: (HGST 4TB HDD) – used for backing up files and storing all my music and pictures

The problem I am having, and why I am trying to use Windows Repair, is that almost ALL my files on my E, F, G, and H drives have their permissions set such that I always get a notice that I do not have permission to save a file into any of these drives.  Also, Since Windows 10, I cannot save to the root on my C drive and cannot copy or save any files in Program Files, Program Files (x86), or Windows (all on my C drive).

In trying to fix this problem, I did something to the permissions that caused a recursive issue with something in my AppData folder that caused one of the folders to keep being replicated inside itself (this rapidly filled up the hard drive to which I was creating my backups).  I did a clean install of Windows 10 (my original install was an inplace upgrade to save all my programs) and that seems to have cleared up the recursive problem; however, I still have the massive file permission problem.

The account I am using, which has these permission  issues, is an Admin account (although it is not the "super user" Administrator account).

So, this is a long introduction to my question?:

1.    Can the Tweaking.Com Windows Repair program fix the permission problems on ALL my drives or does it only work on my C drive?

2.   How should I go about fixing my problem, if Tweaking.Com Windows Repair does not fix it?  (I am willing to do another clean install of Windows 10, if this clears up these problems, although when I ran it, last time, it did NOT give me the option of reformatting my SSD (boot drive), which I would have done.

3.    Can the SMART failure on my G drive be repaired (perhaps with chkdsk /f)?

Thanks,
radar

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:45:05 am by radar »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: File Permission problem with Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:32:51 pm »
WR only runs within Windows which determines your permissions for the rest.

chkdsk /f only repairs files whereas a chkdsk /r would move data from the bad areas on a HDD when there are good areas left to move it to, but data can be lost.

As you have had some warning of G: failure then you should find another media to back up the data onto ASAP, but HDSentinal will give a written report on all of your drives.

Hit the green button on http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Not sure if it still has a 30 day free trial of if they have a freebie version now, but you can uninstall it when done then reinstall it from the Application in the Downloads folder as and when.

Offline radar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:50:11 pm »

WR only runs within Windows which determines your permissions for the rest.

Thanks Boogin.  Do you mean that by fixing permissions within Windows on C: WR will fix the permissions on on my other HDDs?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
I may be wrong but you are using Windows admin to save files to wherever, so I would have thought that was where the problem was with the Permissions.

Give WR a go and see how you get on, but I would back up that G: HDD before it goes altogether - did you download HD Sentinel to see what it gives for its expected life ?

Offline radar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:07 am »
I am logged in with the account I set up when I installed Win 10. this account is an Admin acct but is NOT the "Secret" "Super User" Windows 10 Administrator account.

I did run WR and then manually changed the file permissions on my E: drive.  Thus far (after several cold reboots of my PC), it looks like I was finally successful in correcting the permission issue I was having. THANkS VERY MUCH

Also, thanks, I WILL backup my G drive and buy a replacement.  I'm thinking of going with a WD Red 3TB drive (your thought, on this please...)  thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
Glad to see you have gotten the permissions problem sorted.

I don't have a lot on either of my two Win 7 laptops and can get away with just using a Seagate 500GB external HDD for my system images, as the latest one overwrites the previous.

I did buy a Seagate 1TB external HDD to make system images when I ventured into Win 10 but as that didn't seem to sit very well on this laptop, other than doing a full NTFS format which took about 18hrs, it has gone unused.

Prior to buying anything substantial, I usually Google the item on Amazon and then read the Customer reviews, but WD usually has a good rep although I don't have any personal experience of them.

Is the G: an internal or external HDD ?

Offline radar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:15:45 am »
My G drive is a Seagate 3TB drive:  ST3000DM001

I think it may still be under warranty.  So, hopefully, I can get it replaced for the price of shipping.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:39:37 pm »
If you enter the details into http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp that will check your warranty.