Author Topic: Registry backup crashing  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Registry backup crashing
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:55 pm »
I have a problem with Registry Backup (RB).

- When it's run under the System Account upon start up of Windows then it takes a significant amount of time (say 1 minute) before RB is actually executing the program code. When I look what processes are runnning (Task Manager) then first the main *.exe (TweakingRegistryBackup.exe) is running and with very high CPU (25% on a 4 (?????) core CPU) and only after say 30 seconds to 1 minute other RB related exe files are "kicked into action" ("vss_7_8_2008_2012_64.exe" & "vss_start.exe"). Does anyone know why it takes such a amount of time to start those processes ?

- I have a bigger problem with RB when want to manually make a copy of the registry. I have a shortcut to the program and when I click on that shortcut RB  also takes a significant time (say 30 second to 1 minute) before the main GUI of RB pops up on my desktop. During that same time CPU increases to 25% as well.
But the most worrying thing is that, in this case, RB (after say 2 to 3 minutes) ALWAYS crashes.

This problem/crash also occured when I try to start RB from the Windows Repair program.

Are there more people who expierence the same (undesirable) behaviour ? Can this be blamed on one or more "rogue" registry setiing ? Or on a weird combination of (installed) programs ? Or are the new Microsoft Updates to blame for this wierd/odd behaviour of RB ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Registry backup crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:36:36 pm »
After I installed WR v3.74 Registry Backup doesn't crash any more (at least not up to now, i.e 5 days). Although the program uses very high CPU (25%) for a short while before the main RB GUI pops up. (A CPU of 25% means that one core of my CPU is completely maxed out ??).

Was the WR GUI responsible for this ?? There were some "minor GUI" changes in the latest version.

Weird, weird. Computers are complicated things, right ??

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:49:28 pm »
I think the program uses maximum priority by default so repairs can run faster. Mine will go all the way to 12.5 percent on my 8 core
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:20:01 am »
- Right. 12.5% on a 8 core CPU means probably that one core is maxed out. Would make perfect sense.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:11:47 pm »
The program and any program will use the max cpu as it can, there is no way to control that. So when it is waiting for a response from windows or it is in the middle of a loop working on something you will see that happen.

If the program is coming up fine then it isnt stuck in a loop. I am curious if the cpu time is the system loading up the controls, I mean even on my system it is using 100% of one core, but only for a few sec if that, I am at 4.3 Ghz.

So the lower the cpu the longer it would take of course, but I have a feeling it is just the loading of all the controls and code that is doing it.

Shane