Author Topic: CHKDSK & SFC don't work!  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Jelks

• View Profile
CHKDSK & SFC don't work!
« on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:37 pm »
Hi, I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 laptop running Windows 7 Pro.  I've been getting the dreaded 80070005 error for months just trying to upgrade to Windows 10 that the system keeps telling me to do.  I've tried a whole bunch of things suggested at numerous sites to no avail, and a number of posts keep pointing back to the All-In-One utility here.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to work correctly -- though I don't think it's the fault of the AIO.

Background: I've checked my hard drive with Steve Gibson's SpinRite, cleaned and re-cleaned with CCleaner, defragged and defragged with PerfectDisk.  I've run the SubInACL tool (recommended elsewhere).

To AIO: 

When I run the AIO in Safe Mode logged in as "Administrator", I get through the Prescan just fine, but the "regular" CHKDSK shows errors.  So then I run the other CHKDSK -- I've tried both /F and /R.  I then tell it to reboot and run CHKDSK at boot-up.  Well, maybe this stuff has changed in the (many!) years since I had previously run CHKDSK, but I see no evidence of it running at startup.  Maybe it's just hidden behind the fancy graphics, but when I get back into AIO in Safe Mode, I get the same error with the regular CHKDSK.  Endless loop, over and over.

So I even tried running SFC.  Errors.

OK, so I boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.  I can't do CHKDSK /F (or /R) because I'm already on the C: drive and the drive is locked, so I answer "Y" to do it on the next boot.   No evidence of CHKDSK running at the next reboot.  I then try Safe Mode with Command Prompt again.  Errors are still there, so I don't think CHKDSK is ever running at startup, period!

I also tried SFC /scannow in Safe Mode with Command Prompt a couple of times -- which reported some errors.  But I'd rather get CHKDSK /F (and/or /R) running correctly first.

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Jelks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CHKDSK & SFC don't work!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 02:00:12 am »
Create a System Repair Disk if you haven't already and boot up with that.

You will need to change the Boot order which you can usually do by tapping F12 as you switch on - use the cursor keys to highlight ODD (DVD player) - insert the disk and press enter.

Press any key when prompted to boot from CD/DVD - change or confirm the language using the dropdown and make a note of where it locates the OS to repair.

In the Recovery Environment select Command Prompt then enter -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

(that's a Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \ - this cmd will confirm the partition letter as it isn't always C: )

Using the partition letter, enter chkdsk x: /f - where x is the partition letter.

This doesn't require a reboot to execute and its report will be displayed on screen.

Unfortunately, this method doesn't send its report to Event Viewer, so what you see will be its only record, but it will show if there are any KBs in bad sectors and what it was able to repair as required.

Enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the disk then hit Restart.

You can make a note and post if it finds anything untoward.

If it is successful in its repair, then try chkdsk /f in normal mode to see if it executes - you will know if it runs as you'll see it going through the 3 stages on screen.

Depending upon what it reports, run another sfc /scannow and if it still reports there are files it is unable to repair, download and run SFCFix.exe and you can post its report which will be smaller than the CBS log the sfc /scannow produces.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

Just to refresh your memory if required, right click in the text area - click on Select all - right click and select Copy then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

You can still view the CBS log by entering this cmd -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the Desktop which when double clicked will open the log in Notepad with what it can and cannot repair.

You can also run the applicable System Update Readiness Tool - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

This will produce a report in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

This one can be particularly helpful as it could ID what is causing the 80070005 error which is generally an Access Denied error.

Offline Jelks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:48:29 pm »
Boggin, wow, thank you for such detailed suggestions!

I ran CHKDSK from the boot CD as you suggested -- I needed to use CHKDSK D: instead of C: when booting off the CD.  It had errors so I ran that again with /F, ran it again without /F and it was clean.  Booted into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, it was clean. Booted into Safe Mode with Networking, errors with CHKDSK again!  I did a number of variations on these (CD,  Safe Mode with Command Prompt,  Safe Mode with Networking), all with rather unsatisfactory results.

So I ran SFC /scannow.  Errors.  Downloaded your recommended SFCFix and ran it.  (Note: the MajorGeeks page is down, in fact the whole site seems to be down, but by googling, which confirmed that SFCFix was "no longer available" at that site, but another site had an archived copy of it from back around November 1.)  Here are the results:

SFCFix version 42.32768.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-01-05 22:16:06.728
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
CORRUPT: C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-autochk_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_4019f2b8d860ad30\autochk.exe

SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
   CBS & SFC total detected corruption count:     1
   CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count:  0
   CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count:        0
   SURT total detected corruption count:          0
   SURT total unimportant corruption count:       0
   SURT total fixed corruption count:             0
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 42.32768.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-01-05 22:21:03.248
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Hmm, autochk.exe... I see a lot of other folks are having this issue.  And it might explain why I could never see output from a reboot-scheduled CHKDSK after running CHKDSK /F in a normal (or Safe Mode) environment -- I don't think CHKDSK ever did run on reboot, even though I had answered "Y" when CHKDSK asked me if I wanted to schedule it for the next reboot.

Finally, I downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool as you suggested, but I'm not sure it's going to "take" -- it's been "Initializing installation... " for about 30 minutes now. So I'm Canceling and restarting it, will then let it run all night if necessary. 

Hmm, I see that "Canceling updates...", as it reports now, is seemingly taking an equal amount of time...  (And I noticed that during the "Initializing installation..." period, it was showing 1-2% CPU usage and an ever-varying roughly 21-32 megs of RAM.  So it was doing something, but when the "Installing:" progress bar showed, well, no progress 30 minutes in, I decided to cancel it and retry.  If and when it gets through the Cancelling phase, I'll restart it and go to bed...

Thank you very much for your help Boggin...

Jelks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:38 am »
MS has a Hotfix that will install an updated Autochk.exe file which should sort that error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975778

If that fails to address the autochk.exe error then I think you will be looking at a factory reset after backing up your personal stuff and all that goes with reinstalling your programs and then the dreaded Windows Updates.

I normally set my laptop to turning off the display but to never switch off and then start the Windows Updates so that they are running overnight.

I think the last time I factory reset, including MS updates, they took about 9hrs to download and install on my ~6.5 meg sync speed.

If you have any Microsoft paid for programs like Office, there could be problems with reactivation and you may need to contact MS to have the product key reactivated, but for any other programs, Belarc Advisor will list those product keys should you have misplaced the original documentation.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

To refresh my memory on the SURT installation I downloaded it again and having taken about 20mins to download the 538MB file, the Initialization went through pretty quickly but the actual Install bit does look as though it's hanging - in fact there isn't any movement on the progress bar as I write, so it may be a case of being patient with that.

While I've been writing this, just checked its progress to see the Installation Complete window, so not sure if the autochk.exe error may have some bearing on your prolonged installation - so trying it again after downloading the Hotfix for that and running another chkdsk /f to confirm, may produce different results for the SURT install.