Author Topic: can't install driver  (Read 5534 times)

Offline layer

• View Profile
can't install driver
« on: January 10, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »
Hi!

i'm trying to fix some (huge) problems left by a virus infection on my windows 7 sp1 x64, first i was unable to use pen drivers, they where detected (devmngr) but i couldn't see them in explorer.
even after i had run Windows Repair, nothing changed... luckly i found the problem, was a permission on registry (Windows Repair shouldn't had fixed permissions?)
now i discovered that i can't install drivers for a wireless dongle, just says that the file is in use and can't be used  :confused:
on top of that, i can't create users, i was able to enable the administrator account, but i can't create new accounts, but this time there in no error, by cmd or windows gui.
oh and i can't install many updates, like ie11 stand-alone installer, just stops at the midle and says that he can't install it...

anyone has some advice where to start?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:14:59 pm by layer »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: can't install driver
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:01:59 pm »
What did you use to get rid of the infection ?

You may have services left disabled by the infection.

Run this ESET services repair program to see if that makes any difference http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

Can you also run a command prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then type and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

This will produce its report in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

As for the Dongle, have you tried inserting it into another USB port to see if the drivers will load ?

Offline layer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »
i used malwarebytes, services are ok, sfc finds nothing.

i tested some usb ports without success

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:21:20 pm »
Hi, If you say that you cannot use pen drive then it is affected and in turn affects the computer.
 Just download usb vaccine from panda from other computer to your pen drive. While installing pl check the box to vaccinate pendrive and ntfs check boxes.
        Then execute and vaccinate your pendrive in the other computer. OK.
        Then go to the folder options , enable to view all the hidden files, by selecting view tab.
         Then see the unwanted files in your pendrive and remove those virus,or unknown files completely using the other computer. Since you are vaccinated by panda, now you could be able to delete any hidden file in the pen drive. Ok.
         Now try to use the pendrive in your computer, it will work. It will give protection both to your computer and pendrive from any infection.
           If pendrive is visible , then you could see your problem is resolved.
           The item may not be connected to the real problem, but this may fix problems of not using pendrive
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".