Author Topic: Windows AIO repair reparse and registry issues on Windows 10 Pro x64 domain comp  (Read 5988 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Shane.  I have a windows 10 pro x64 machine that I use as part of a domain environment, meaning the user account I use is pulled from the domain controller as well.  However, I ALSO link my personal microsoft account with my domain joined profile in order to obtain easy access to my onedrive content and have access to advanced features only availbable when microsoft account is synced.  This aspect seems to cause issue with Widows AIO repair, as, when I run a reparse point scan when booted into safe mode, it believes that my imported microsoft account is the main user account and it is missing all its reparse points, even though it was imported solely to be integrated with the domain profile.  Anyway, so if run the reparse fix (have to run twice since it finds errors twice), I proceed with the fixes and and reboot my computer.  Now, when I reboot my computer, it boots noticeable slower than before and certain programs become unresponsive and need to be forcibly closed.  Moreover, when I run any tool which contains a registry cleaner to try to return computer to condition prior to the repairs (I know they are useless, they are just a part of the tools I use), They will find numerous registry errors and fragments.  Upon applying those fixes, I restart computer and.....Windows hangs when attempting to load any user profile.  Could this have somethign to do with joining my microsoft account to my domain account and the mistaken creation of reparse points for the non-existant account?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:46:55 am by whiggs »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I havent tested WR and 10 being on a domain as I dont have a domain here.

But it being slow after the first boot can be normal, after 2 or 3 reboots windows 10 finishes what ever it is doing and is back to normal. I have noticed this, it sees a lot of stuff has been done and then it starts doing stuff in the back ground but I dont know what. I do know it does a lot of checks to amke sure you are allowed to have the apps you do, kind of a DRM thing.

I dont know about the registry cleaners as the only things added to the registry would be what ever is added by registering dll and ocx files in the repairs. Otherwise the rest is services registry keys in the files folder of the program.

When my program sets permissions it does it by the SID of the account and not the name, so it should still work proper even on a domain machine.

As for the rephrase points, those shouldnt cause any problems, they are they mainly for older programs that try to go to old paths.

Shane

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Thank you for the clarification shane.  I am running a couple of tests to see the issue replicates on a non-domain joined computer, because a lot of the issues go away if not a member of domain: the process that was killing me I think to processing of group policy after the "remove policies set by infection" repair was run.  I'll get back with result