Author Topic: Win10 x64 10586.63 modern apps are broken  (Read 6873 times)

Offline oviradoi

• View Profile
Win10 x64 10586.63 modern apps are broken
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:43:15 am »
This all started when my Calculator app would not work anymore. When I clicked on it, it would open and close immediately.

I searched for a solution online, and I ran a powershell command to register all my modern apps. This was the command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Only after the fact, I read that this command actually breaks the modern apps on build 10586. Sure enough, all my modern apps are broken now.

I don't have any system restore points, and I have tried the following to fix my apps:
  • sfc /scannow
  • dism /online /cleanup-Image /restoreHealth

None of these worked.

So my question is, how can I get my modern apps to work again, without resetting or reinstalling Windows?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win10 x64 10586.63 modern apps are broken
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:38 pm »
manually using powershell to do one command at a time give me a few i will see what I can do to help you on this.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:47:02 pm »
You might have to have windows do a refresh. I still cant believe MS doesn't seem to care about this bug.

Besides doing a refresh I dont know of any other ways to fix the app store since the powershell bug.

Shane

Offline oviradoi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.
Is this bug reported to Microsoft? I can't seem to find it on MSDN anywhere.
If so, can you post a link to it? I want to bookmark it and check on it from time to time.
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:07:25 am »
There was a member who had occasion to contact MS techs and he told him about the apps bug brought about by the Threshold2 update, but as to whether he reported it and MS are doing anything about it - that is anyone's guess for the moment.

Given the number of updates they've pushed since and it still hasn't been resolved - perhaps they need a nudge by someone else reporting it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:52:43 pm »
Given the extreme number of bugs I have seen and the fact that the updates are coming so often means that they have a huge list of bugs and problems they are working through, and so if it is on their list of things to get done they may have not gotten to it yet.

Odd thing is you would thing someone in MS who does the programming would have seen the bug themselves when they run the powershell command, if they ever run that command. Chances are they have an in house tool for installing the apps and dont us powershell, which might exmplain why it seems to be so low on their radar.

Shane